The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastles music scene? Is there one?

So I'm used to being just a short train journey from Manchester, which of course has incredible music to see ranging from low key bands to bigger ones. I'm thinking of applying to Newcastle uni but my main concern is I won't have as much access to live acts...can someone give me an insight?
Hey Jenny!
No need to worry at all! we have sooooo much to offer here at the uni alone, never mind Newcastle as a city! I'm Meg, the Head of Music at Newcastle Student Radio and we really encourage our fab music scene.
Next week on the official weekly music show, we are planning to talk about different gig venues and where to see live acts! If you wanna listen in, we'll be talking live next Wednesday 4-6pm on nsrlive.co.uk, or a podcast version will be available on our 'nsrmusicteam' mixcloud. Please don't be discouraged as Newcastle has loads to offer!
(edited 6 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by Jenny3834
So I'm used to being just a short train journey from Manchester, which of course has incredible music to see ranging from low key bands to bigger ones. I'm thinking of applying to Newcastle uni but my main concern is I won't have as much access to live acts...can someone give me an insight?

Hey, what kind of music are you into?
There's an active indie scene in the North East - have a look at the Evolution Emerging festival line-up to see some of the unsigned/alternative acts that play around Newcastle (I did put in a link but my post was declined).
The SU's at Newcastle and Northumbria Unis have live bands all the times, other good venues are the Cluny and Think Tank. Trillians puts on rock/metal bands.
There's the O2 Academy and City Hall for touring bands, and the Metro Radio Arena for big pop acts.
And if you're into classical, folk, or world music then you'll want to check out the Sage Gateshead :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest