Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"my tutor told me dont put the alevels on your cv unless their (AAA) or AAB or ABB" Watch

ReputationRep:
    "my tutor told me dont put the alevel grades on your cv unless their (AAA) or AAB or ABB"

Is this true or not
    I have seen a many users on TSR say stuff like this
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harry7788)
    unless their (AAA) or AAB or ABB"

Is this true or not
    I hope one of your A-levels isn't English.

ReputationRep:
    then listen to your tutor

ReputationRep:
    It isnt true
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    "my tutor told me dont put the alevel grades on your cv unless their (AAA) or AAB or ABB"

Is this true or not
    It's not likely to help your application to be putting on grades less than B on a CV. If you've got less than Bs, you (hopefully) aren't applying for anything that is interested in grades and therefore it's irrelevant information.

ReputationRep:
    After my first couple of serious jobs, I'd be embarrassed if I were still putting them on there.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest you don't really need to put GCSE's/A Levels on your CV if you have a degree and like 5-10 years experience. But most CV's generally have A Levels no matter what, some people leave off GCSE's or just put '12 GCSEs' or '12GCSE's A*/A' etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicseastldn)
    then listen to your tutor
    it isnt what my tutor has it is just a quote i keep seeing on TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    It's not likely to help your application to be putting on grades less than B on a CV. If you've got less than Bs, you (hopefully) aren't applying for anything that is interested in grades and therefore it's irrelevant information.
    i can see where your coming from but i was thinking more along the lines of if you have a mixture of results like ABCC those Cs would look fairly **** compared to the other results
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Lol, your tutor and the majority of TSR don't know jack **** about getting a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    To be honest you don't really need to put GCSE's/A Levels on your CV if you have a degree and like 5-10 years experience. But most CV's generally have A Levels no matter what, some people leave off GCSE's or just put '12 GCSEs' or '12GCSE's A*/A' etc...
    ohhh i see but then if you left of gcses and A levels then wouldnt one assume you dont want to put them on as they showing one in a good light
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    i can see where your coming from but i was thinking more along the lines of if you have a mixture of results like ABCC those Cs would look fairly **** compared to the other results
    It's a judgement call - what job are you writing the CV for? How important is academic ability to the employer? What subjects have you got the high grades in? What subjects have you got the Cs in? How relevant are these subjects to the employer? What other evidence of relevant skills do you have, and is there anything that would compensate, ie that is more than average?

ReputationRep:

Is this true or not
    There are many views on what to put on a CV. There's no right or wrong as long as it works for you and the job you want to apply for.

If you put some and omit other grades, wouldn't that make it obvious what subjects you did badly?

If you have no work experience, than put all your A Levels, then GCSEs with the best grades at the top and worst at the bottom. Omit mentioning any that you're ashamed of (omit really low grades & fails).

If you do have lots of work experience put these first, then a line under education saying you have X no of A levels (list the subjects) and X no GCSEs (list the subjects).

ReputationRep:
    I just put that I have 3 A Levels and X amount of GCSEs, the actual grades aren't relevant but it shows I've actually got qualifications

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.