Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girlfriend’s views on drinking Watch

Hey, So basically my girlfriend’s family have had two very serious moments with her dad drinking, the rest of them don’t drink but he’s been very bad to a point where they feared for the worse. Apart from this had some other bad drinking experiences, the rest of the family don’t drink btw. So my girlfriend gets hurt every time if i drink and says what’s the point, it’s just harmful for yourself, it gets nothing good out of it and it hurts everytime you do it.

I totally understand where she’s coming from and why she wanted me to stop drinking (which I have for over a month) but for some reason still feel odd about it maybe because of some friends saying oh why stop drinking because of her and one side of me says she can’t make me stop drinking but the other side says that I can’t let alcohol come between my relationship, it’s absolutely ridiculous to let a poison come in between and be the reason for her getting hurt.

I need your views

Thanks people
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey, So basically my girlfriend’s family have had two very serious moments with her dad drinking, the rest of them don’t drink but he’s been very bad to a point where they feared for the worse. Apart from this had some other bad drinking experiences, the rest of the family don’t drink btw. So my girlfriend gets hurt every time if i drink and says what’s the point, it’s just harmful for yourself, it gets nothing good out of it and it hurts everytime you do it.

I totally understand where she’s coming from and why she wanted me to stop drinking (which I have for over a month) but for some reason still feel odd about it maybe because of some friends saying oh why stop drinking because of her and one side of me says she can’t make me stop drinking but the other side says that I can’t let alcohol come between my relationship, it’s absolutely ridiculous to let a poison come in between and be the reason for her getting hurt.

I need your views

Thanks people
    First of all, she is not the only person saying people should stop drinking. Many people in the medical profession are campaigning for it. She just has a personal experience about the evils of alcohol.

Two, she is doing it because she may actually love you. Many people would not care about you or your health. If she was savage, she may allow you to drink to beyond repair and find a better bf, when you die of drink-related illnesses.

Three, i think you have to stop based on respect towards her. Imagine she did something that affected her health and you wanted her to stop. You will expect her to stop out of respect for you.

I would not tell you what to do because i don't know you or even care about you, but i suggest you think about it. Would you listen to your friends, who may up and leave you when sh.it hits the fan or someone who seems to really care about you?

It is up to you to decide. Afterall if you continue, you may just become another burden to the NHS.

All the best.

(Original post by Wired_1800)
    First of all, she is not the only person saying people should stop drinking. Many people in the medical profession are campaigning for it. She just has a personal experience about the evils of alcohol.

Two, she is doing it because she may actually love you. Many people would not care about you or your health. If she was savage, she may allow you to drink to beyond repair and find a better bf, when you die of drink-related illnesses.

Three, i think you have to stop based on respect towards her. Imagine she did something that affected her health and you wanted her to stop. You will expect her to stop out of respect for you.

I would not tell you what to do because i don't know you or even care about you, but i suggest you think about it. Would you listen to your friends, who may up and leave you when sh.it hits the fan or someone who seems to really care about you?

It is up to you to decide. Afterall if you continue, you may just become another burden to the NHS.

All the best.
    Strong response wired, I like it.

I know she loves me a lot for sure and I love her a lot too and she cares a lot for me so do I for her, I guess I was just getting influenced by the stupid don’t let your gf control you talks but this isn’t controlling, it’s just care, thanks I needed that
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Does drinking have to lead to drunkenness?

Do you appreciate this? i.e. do you drink to get drunk?

Can she? i.e. someone can drink without getting drunk.

ReputationRep:
    Your girlfriend needs to grow up tbh. She either needs to respect the fact that you can drink responsibly or she shouldn't have entered into a relationship with someone who she presumably already knew drinks alcohol.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Strong response wired, I like it.

I know she loves me a lot for sure and I love her a lot too and she cares a lot for me so do I for her, I guess I was just getting influenced by the stupid don’t let your gf control you talks but this isn’t controlling, it’s just care, thanks I needed that
    I don't mean to be harsh but wanted to give you a reality check.

You know yourself and you know your gf, it is up to you to make a decision. Don't allow others to cloud your judgement.

ReputationRep:

I need your views

Thanks people
    Whilst I see her reasons for not liking alcohol I don't think she has any right to put that onto you and put pressure on you to not drink.

That's just my opinion and this is also coming from someone with experience of alcoholic family members

Thanks guys, I appreciate your responses!

I see all of your points of views, it's her really caring for me and loving me which is why there's even more hurt I suppose.

At the end of the day, regardless of how I feel about it, drinking is honestly bad for us, lets admit it and I would feel terrible if I let alcohol come between us, that's just ridiculous I think.

With love comes adjustment, I'm sure making an adjustment of alcohol is no big a deal for a girl I love. Besides, it's bad for me anyway.

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your responses!

I see all of your points of views, it's her really caring for me and loving me which is why there's even more hurt I suppose.

At the end of the day, regardless of how I feel about it, drinking is honestly bad for us, lets admit it and I would feel terrible if I let alcohol come between us, that's just ridiculous I think.

With love comes adjustment, I'm sure making an adjustment of alcohol is no big a deal for a girl I love. Besides, it's bad for me anyway.

Thanks guys
    Good lad

ReputationRep:

OP can go on drinking without risking to die of "drink-related illnesses" in the near future. You are too critic of alcohol.

ReputationRep:

I need your views

Thanks people
    Are you responsible enough to drink aclohol without getting drunk?

If so, then your gf doesn't need to worry about it. I think she needs to understand that people can drink alcohol without getting drunk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)

If so, then your gf doesn't need to worry about it. I think she needs to understand that people can drink alcohol without getting drunk.
    Why should he never get drunk?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    OP can go on drinking without risking to die of "drink-related illnesses" in the near future. You are too critic of alcohol.
    We both don't know how much the OP drinks to warrant his girl's comments.

Alcohol causes many issues and is one of the related causes of death. Obviously the OP has had close encounters with the issues of alcohol that she does not want him to suffer that way.

In the end, the OP has to make the decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    Thats the only reason I consume it :lol:

ReputationRep:
    If you love your girlfriend more than alcohol you'd stop drinking. Alcohol is incredibly bad for the human body, she's only trying to help you since she knows first-hand the trouble that alcohol can cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    If you love your girlfriend more than alcohol you'd stop drinking. Alcohol is incredibly bad for the human body, she's only trying to help you since she knows first-hand the trouble that alcohol can cause.
    Drinking is one of the pleasures of life and most people are able to drink without indulging in it excessively.

We both don't know how much the OP drinks to warrant his girl's comments.

Alcohol causes many issues and is one of the related causes of death. Obviously the OP has had close encounters with the issues of alcohol that she does not want him to suffer that way.

In the end, the OP has to make the decision.
    I don't think OP has had psychological or health problems or that he drinks excessively, given that it wasn't specified.

ReputationRep:
    Drinking is one of the pleasures of life and most people are able to drink without indulging in it excessively.
    Even moderate drinking is still bad for your health.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...im-researchers

OP, its best to find a new girlfriend if you really love drinking that much, she doesn't have to accept it if she doesn't want to
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I don't think OP has had psychological or health problems or that he drinks excessively, given that it wasn't specified.
    I gave my own opinion and, yes, i am not a big fan of alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    She is right in many ways. A lot of problems from alcohol and a fortune spent on it. I dread to think what my total bill is. Short of alcoholism, some level of dependency is probably a pretty easy habit to acquire. This said it can bring a bit of fun and relaxation used sensibly. I think it's either respect her position, negotiate a compromise or tell her you're your own person, as you think best.

ReputationRep:
    Why should he never get drunk?
    Becuase that is typically when you will do actions that you wouldn't normally do when sober.

E.g make stupid decisions...getting rowdy or worse.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.