Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girlfriend’s views on drinking Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    Becuase that is typically when you will do actions that you wouldn't normally do when sober.

E.g make stupid decisions...getting rowdy or worse.
    It depends on how drunk you are and on the person. I become more outgoing and outspoken, but absolutely never even remotely violent or confrontational.

Thanks guys for your responses, just to clarify which I think will also rest this issue:

- I'm not an alcoholic or drink too much, when I used to drink, it used to be on Saturday nights with mates and we didn't do anything inappropriate or behave in a way someone would call 'being a ****'

- I love her more than alcohol, my love for her and my like for drinks are light years apart, she is way more important to me than a freakin alcoholic drink

Interesting to see all the responses though and the variety in answers
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Even moderate drinking is still bad for your health.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...im-researchers

OP, its best to find a new girlfriend if you really love drinking that much, she doesn't have to accept it if she doesn't want to
    And printed a couple of months earlier:
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...l-study-claims

There's a lot of info out there about moderate drinking and health, a lot of it contradictory, so saying moderate drinking is definitively bad for you is a bit of a stretch.

Your partner obviously has a problem with drinking because of family history, and it'd be difficult bordering on impossible to sway her away from such an emotional and personal opinion. She definitely can't tell you how to live your life, that's your decision, just depends what you value more

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as alcohol ain't that important for you I'd cut it out completely.

I chose to cut it out several months ago, for several reasons (I don't need it, it's a waste of money, bad for your health, etc).... probably one of the best decisions I've made.

(Original post by eden3)
    Seeing as alcohol ain't that important for you I'd cut it out completely.

I chose to cut it out several months ago, for several reasons (I don't need it, it's a waste of money, bad for your health, etc).... probably one of the best decisions I've made.
    Thanks man, I found it a bit odd at first when I quit it a month or more than that ago and it felt weird at first and hard, is that how you felt?

I still get tempted sometimes when I'm out with mates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks man, I found it a bit odd at first when I quit it a month or more than that ago and it felt weird at first and hard, is that how you felt?

I still get tempted sometimes when I'm out with mates
    That's fine man, everyone's gonna find it a little different.

No, it honestly made no difference to me whatsoever. I still go out with friends who all drink, they found it a little weird at first but they genuinely don't care. I'm the sort of person who really doesn't need alcohol to make my night 'better' or 'have fun'.

Tbh I think it's more of a cultural thing than anything else. I'm going to go on a limb here and assume you're white...?

(Original post by eden3)
    That's fine man, everyone's gonna find it a little different.

No, it honestly made no difference to me whatsoever. I still go out with friends who all drink, they found it a little weird at first but they genuinely don't care. I'm the sort of person who really doesn't need alcohol to make my night 'better' or 'have fun'.

Tbh I think it's more of a cultural thing than anything else. I'm going to go on a limb here and assume you're white...?
    Haha I agree with the thing about alcohol not being needed to have a better or fun night, I think that's toss, you don't need alcohol for that!

Close man, just a few thousand miles off, I'm South Asian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Haha I agree with the thing about alcohol not being needed to have a better or fun night, I think that's toss, you don't need alcohol for that!

Close man, just a few thousand miles off, I'm South Asian
    :rofl::toofunny: My bad.

Yeah you really don't need it g. I still think it's a cultural thing though - definitely part of "lad culture", so to speak. You'd think people would chill out on getting hammered every night once you reach the final year of your degree at uni (like myself), but nope, students don't get tired of killing their liver apparently. Lmao.

Anyways man keep us updated.

(Original post by eden3)
    :rofl::toofunny: My bad.

Yeah you really don't need it g. I still think it's a cultural thing though - definitely part of "lad culture", so to speak. You'd think people would chill out on getting hammered every night once you reach the final year of your degree at uni (like myself), but nope, students don't get tired of killing their liver apparently. Lmao.

Anyways man keep us updated.
    Lol innit man!

Not much to update bro, I know my stand, I love her too much to let alcohol get in the way and it isn't a big deal to me anyway

ReputationRep:
    If he drinks malibu, he takes it up the bum

ReputationRep:
    It's 100% fine if she doesn't believe it's worth it to drink alcohol. It's also 100% fine if you hear her views and decide you also don't want to drink. However she shouldn't berate you and guilt you into changing your lifestyle for her - this is a choice she is making and it's controlling to insist you do the same. Alcohol shouldn't come between you but SHE is the one causing the problem - not you.

@OP It's your choice whether or not to drink. If this is the only factor in your relationship that is making you think otherwise, then by all means, consider if you want to truly abstain from drinking. But she should trust you enough to be responsible enough. And personally, the other commenters are showing their opinions on drinking alcohol, but the decision is entirely yours. It's your life to live and if you want a nice drink to go with your meal, then do so. But make an unbiased opinion knowing that you are doing it because YOU want to, not because others have had bad experiences. Try not to let your friends, advisers or even your girlfriend peer pressure you.

Good luck
    And drink responsibly y'all

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.