Turn on thread page Beta

My Grow Your Grades Blog ❣️ watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seungy_Han)
    If your so doutful about oxford why apply in the first place? Might as well save one slot for a insurance uni
    Because it's good to have a dream. It is my choice after all.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_1935.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  171.2 KB

Hopefully I will be submitting work to Oxford soon, the essay I have written is about how poets attempt to find the meaning of existence in their work. (intriguing right?)

If anyone has any ELAT tips, please leave them below and we can compare thoughts on the matter. I'm struggling to come to terms with the fact that it's basically less than a week away.

Tomorrow I plan to do a day of EPQ 🌟 it's going to be productive and I hope by then I'll be able to get on with writing the actual dissertation. My first half draft (2500 words) is due November 7.

My English coursework first draft is due November 6th. I'm basically done though, it just needs tweaking.

Spanish and Law just need general revision. Hoping to do some flashcards etc.

I'm working on Saturday and then various halloween festivities may set me back a couple of days but I'm going to power through.

See you soon ⚡️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perspectives)
    Name:  IMG_1935.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  171.2 KB

Hopefully I will be submitting work to Oxford soon, the essay I have written is about how poets attempt to find the meaning of existence in their work. (intriguing right?)

If anyone has any ELAT tips, please leave them below and we can compare thoughts on the matter. I'm struggling to come to terms with the fact that it's basically less than a week away.

Tomorrow I plan to do a day of EPQ 🌟 it's going to be productive and I hope by then I'll be able to get on with writing the actual dissertation. My first half draft (2500 words) is due November 7.

My English coursework first draft is due November 6th. I'm basically done though, it just needs tweaking.

Spanish and Law just need general revision. Hoping to do some flashcards etc.

I'm working on Saturday and then various halloween festivities may set me back a couple of days but I'm going to power through.

See you soon ⚡️
    i’m loving your gyg!

good luck with your admission tests for oxford etc.
    is it your favourite uni/course or do you prefer one of the others you applied for??

also good luck for your EPQ!

you can check out my gyg if you want - but nevertheless i’ll be sure to follow this thread
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello and welcome to my 2017 grow your grades!

I am in year 13 at a sixth form college studying English Literature, Spanish, Law and EPQ. I am predicted A*A*A. However my A*s are more like A/A* so I really need to work to secure these grades (especially in Spanish).

As of Friday I have applied for English Lit/ Lit and lang at Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Durham and Oxford. I have applied to Castle college Durham and Exeter college Oxford (where I am very doubtful that I will get an offer but it is my absolute dream uni.)

I have 7A*s and 3As at GCSE. I am Hoping that the 3As won't really effect me as they were in maths, physics and biology - completely unrelated subjects.

My main priorities are to secure an A* in English lit and to really work hard to get an A in Spanish as it's something I struggle with.

Hope you enjoy following me on my journey!
    Hi, great blog! Wishing you the best of luck on your journey. I did English Lit and Spanish last year at A2 (A*A respectively, alongside Music and French) so if you need any help (especially with English) don't hesitate to PM. I've also got loads of resources from last year which I'll never use again :rolleyes: so feel free to have those

edit: I also did an EPQ (admittedly on music therapy). Interesting that yours is on American Literature and the American Dream because the coursework for our English year was on American Literature (specifically Streetcar Named Desire and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    Hi, great blog! Wishing you the best of luck on your journey. I did English Lit and Spanish last year at A2 (A*A respectively, alongside Music and French) so if you need any help (especially with English) don't hesitate to PM. I've also got loads of resources from last year which I'll never use again :rolleyes: so feel free to have those

edit: I also did an EPQ (admittedly on music therapy). Interesting that yours is on American Literature and the American Dream because the coursework for our English year was on American Literature (specifically Streetcar Named Desire and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf)
    Thank you for the offer- we clearly have a bit in common and you've done so well! I'll be sure to message if I ever need to, where did you end up if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    i’m loving your gyg!

good luck with your admission tests for oxford etc.
    is it your favourite uni/course or do you prefer one of the others you applied for??

also good luck for your EPQ!

you can check out my gyg if you want - but nevertheless i’ll be sure to follow this thread

my favourite uni is oxford! but I'm lucky to be in the position where I'd love to go to any uni I've got an offer to. I love the course at Newcastle a lot but English courses everywhere are quite flexible, Manchester has a lot of American Lit which I love but Newcastle and Leeds are better at incorporating modern media.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_2642.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  120.8 KB

I officially have an interview at Oxford! ❣️

I got my email from Exeter college yesterday and I'm over the moon to be in this position. Even just having the chance to be interviewed is amazing and is proof that I'm on the right track despite feeling that my efforts aren't good enough.

I will be in Oxford from the 4th-7th. It's an incredible opportunity and I'm going to make the absolute most of it even if nothing comes out of it. Whilst I'm so stressed and nervous, I'm exited just for staying in the college for a couple of nights and experiencing university life ahhh!

Anyone else got an interview at Exeter?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_2642.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  120.8 KB

I officially have an interview at Oxford! ❣️

I got my email from Exeter college yesterday and I'm over the moon to be in this position. Even just having the chance to be interviewed is amazing and is proof that I'm on the right track despite feeling that my efforts aren't good enough.

I will be in Oxford from the 4th-7th. It's an incredible opportunity and I'm going to make the absolute most of it even if nothing comes out of it. Whilst I'm so stressed and nervous, I'm exited just for staying in the college for a couple of nights and experiencing university life ahhh!

Congratulations!! Good luck for your interview I'm sure you'll be amazing 😄

ReputationRep:
    thank you !!
    (Original post by eliza154)
    Congratulations!! Good luck for your interview I'm sure you'll be amazing 😄
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I will be in Oxford from the 4th-7th. It's an incredible opportunity and I'm going to make the absolute most of it even if nothing comes out of it.

Funnily enough, I've got music interviews at St Johns during the exact same timeframe as you I feel exactly the same way especially as a reapplicant - it's just a nice experience and a well-needed break from work tbh. & Since music has an interview at a 2nd college, maybe I will bump into you!

ReputationRep:
    ooh yes maybe we will, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_2781.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  178.8 KB

I thought I'd talk quickly about my progress since my posting on here has been intermittent & brief.

we've just had mocks & the college's version of parents evening.

LAW:

when everybody else did the mock I had my driving test, so I ended up having to do the test the next day in a noisy classroom whilst a lesson went on. For me silence is essential when I'm working, so I basically couldn't think straight and ended up with a C, few marks off a B.

I revised really hard for it and I'm so annoyed because college have put it on my records now. Such an annoying set back.

SPANISH:

I'm actually happy with my Spanish grade. I got 2 marks off an A, on a really difficult paper. I only dropped one mark on the translation and I'm just really happy about it because Spanish is soo difficult for me sometimes and I really have to push myself.

ENGLISH LIT:

I got an A* on my english mock, I'm obviously glad about that as it's made up for my horrendous Law mark.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_2782.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  133.2 KB

I'm starting a new segment about interview experiences. I'll start with mocks since I've had three and the real thing doesn't start until Monday!

In college I've had two mocks with my tutor and one with the English Dept. The ones with my tutor were way more casual since he didn't have much subject knowledge we just had a general interview with questions like 'what is the difference between innocence and naivety'. My feedback on those two was really good and I came away feeling really relaxed and happy. In general though, my concern is that my actual interview will be more scary and less of a friendly chat.

My English dept one began with analysing a poem. I got given The Thought Fox by Ted Hughes and I looooooved it. I had never read it before but it's now my new favourite poem. So my feedback on this was really good because I think it came across how much I enjoyed reading it. Then we did personal statement questions which were good but I needed to polish my knowledge and basically memorise what I'd written. Now I have to go through every book on my PS and make sure I have a decent amount of knowledge on each so they can't catch me out!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_2846.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  130.4 KB

ahhh my heart is so full- these past few days have been intense, hilarious & amazing. regardless of the outcome i'm so lucky to have had this opportunity and have spoken the people i've met.

on my first full day i had two interviews. i was the most nervous i had ever been for anything, i was a mess. i think they went okay but it's impossible to tell. the atmosphere of both was so much more relaxed than i'd imagined, no desks just big comfy chairs. it was really cool just to engage in that level of intellectual discussion with incredible academics.

the first interview was a 20 minute run through of a poem & my personal statement. we got an hour to read and analyse the poem (it went surprisingly fast).

the second was a ten minute intense, q&a about anything i've read. i felt grilled and i was surprised/glad i didn't crack under pressure. very challenging & kind of terrifying.

the people i've met are amazing. i'm so lucky to have had this experience and despite spending all day yesterday not wanting anymore interviews, i wish i didn't have to leave so soon.

i plan to spend the day in the city & explore the uni.

ReputationRep:
    Can't quite believe I was in Oxford yesterday! Also can't quite believe I was the only northerner I met the entire time ))) I only had two interviews, at the same college- they told us not to read into this but I can't help but think they just didn't like me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can't quite believe I was in Oxford yesterday! Also can't quite believe I was the only northerner I met the entire time ))) I only had two interviews, at the same college- they told us not to read into this but I can't help but think they just didn't like me
    I was told that all it means is that they've made a decision (which they'd also come to after extra interviews anyways) xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    I was told that all it means is that they've made a decision (which they'd also come to after extra interviews anyways) xD
    how terrifying though! so basically it's either they want me or they don't want me... and neither do any other colleges.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  FAD53428-01E0-4E67-A6D6-856C9482830F.jpg.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  22.5 KBName:  65794B01-A9BA-4C77-AC63-FD3144E36536.jpg.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  54.0 KBName:  36C254C6-C24B-48D3-9611-3E7BF38883F8.jpg.jpeg
Views: 51
Size:  66.3 KB beauty

ReputationRep:
    Really impressive grades !! Best of luck for exams in the summer. I am thinking of studying Spanish for a level also, anything you think I should know or any tips ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessmith)
    Really impressive grades !! Best of luck for exams in the summer. I am thinking of studying Spanish for a level also, anything you think I should know or any tips ?
    (Original post by Jessmith)
    thank you so much!

So, you should definitely do Spanish if you're prepared to put the work in! It's so amazing learning a language, it's so worthwhile but, challenging.

TOP TIPS FOR MFL ❤️

1) GRAMMAR

- have a mini notebook for grammar tips as it's so easy to lose track of your notes and forget the rules. sometimes it seems to go at 100mph so just try and write everything down!

- if you're ever unsure clarify it straight away. sort it out with your teacher or research yourself. honestly if you don't understand a certain tense or aspect of grammar you will literally get so behind so quickly and will be confused later on!

2) VOCAB

- have a separate book for useful vocab

- often Spanish has 'false friends' so write these down as you have to learn e.g.: embarazada (doesn't mean embarrassed, it means pregnant)

- vocab is so important at a level so revise for vocab tests

3) LISTENING

- listening at A level is good, you can rewind and play it again and again.

- watch tv shows in Spanish, literally surround yourself in the language. (Jane the Virgin is good, also netflix has loads of spanish films and you can also find spanish audio & subtitles)

4) SPEAKING

- honestly speaking is FINE. it seems scary but there's loads you can do to build confidence

- most sixth forms do Conversation classes where you just speak Spanish for a while and get given topics, it's actually really interesting because you learn about culture & the country. if you like history & that sort of thing it's great because you get background knowledge about the country & also loooads about general important topics such as immigration, feminism & racism.

5) GENERAL TIPS

- get the app Tandem, you can chat to Spanish people (some are creeps but most are ok) and ask them if you're stuck on something or just improve your conversational skills.

- youtube is great for spanish videos. didn't even realise until last month just how many resources there were, (spanish learning e.g. grammar explanation )

- practice (self explanatory) just live the language, listen to spanish music etc honestly you will be fine it's so worth it & so rewarding

✨✨✨✨hope this helps ✨✨✨✨✨

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.