Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi guys i just wanted to know if my 800m running program is good I would really appreciate some advice.

Monday: 100M hill sprints 5 times with 1 minute rest.

wednesday Long 1 hour run.

thursday 2 lots of 800M runs

Saturday: climbing flights of stairs also I do weight training for my Legs on this day
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by muzzy2017)
    hi guys i just wanted to know if my 800m running program is good I would really appreciate some advice.

Monday: 100M hill sprints 5 times with 1 minute rest.

wednesday Long 1 hour run.

thursday 2 lots of 800M runs

Saturday: climbing flights of stairs also I do weight training for my Legs on this day
    Maybe you are better off asking on Runners World.

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/categories/beginners

ReputationRep:
    Since 800m is both an aerobic and anaerobic event you want to incorporate 3 components into your training really, sprinting, speed endurance and endurance training. The 800m runners at my club will do

Endurance
    longer runs (2 - 3 miles) once a week (the very dedicated opt for twice per week :/)

Speed endurance
    1 session per week short Interval reps for ie:
    10 x 300m with 3 mins rest
    or
    ladders (3 mins rest in between each - 500m, 300m 400m, 200m, 300m, 400m, 500m x 2 with 5 mins rest between each set)
    or
    6 x 200m (90 secs rest) 5 mins rest then 6 x 200m again.

Speed endurance
    1 session per week long interval reps ie
    7 x 800m repetitions with 3 mins rest
    or 4 x 1 mile reps with 3 mins rest
    or 1 mile, 1 800, 1 mile, 1 800
    or 8 x 200m hill 'sprints' (approx 70 percent of max speed)

*if you do the same session every week the body can adapt to just that specific sesh so varying the sessions helps you to improve further by challenging your systems plus it teaches you your pacing.

Sprints
    1 sesh per week 7 x 50m sprints flat out, maybe the odd 150m thrown in.

Your session is fine if you are new to running you have some variety it will help your basic fitness but if you want to improve then definately build the training up gradually but the above schedule is what the amateur 800m runners at my club tend to follow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Maybe you are better off asking on Runners World.

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/categories/beginners
    Will do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    Since 800m is both an aerobic and anaerobic event you want to incorporate 3 components into your training really, sprinting, speed endurance and endurance training. The 800m runners at my club will do

Endurance
    longer runs (2 - 3 miles) once a week (the very dedicated opt for twice per week :/)

Speed endurance
    1 session per week short Interval reps for ie:
    10 x 300m with 3 mins rest
    or
    ladders (3 mins rest in between each - 500m, 300m 400m, 200m, 300m, 400m, 500m x 2 with 5 mins rest between each set)
    or
    6 x 200m (90 secs rest) 5 mins rest then 6 x 200m again.

Speed endurance
    1 session per week long interval reps ie
    7 x 800m repetitions with 3 mins rest
    or 4 x 1 mile reps with 3 mins rest
    or 1 mile, 1 800, 1 mile, 1 800
    or 8 x 200m hill 'sprints' (approx 70 percent of max speed)

*if you do the same session every week the body can adapt to just that specific sesh so varying the sessions helps you to improve further by challenging your systems plus it teaches you your pacing.

Sprints
    1 sesh per week 7 x 50m sprints flat out, maybe the odd 150m thrown in.

Your session is fine if you are new to running you have some variety it will help your basic fitness but if you want to improve then definately build the training up gradually but the above schedule is what the amateur 800m runners at my club tend to follow.
    thank you This was very informative I will incorporate some of this into mine

ReputationRep:
    I went on a 9 mile run recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel)
    I went on a 9 mile run recently.
    Thats good, running is amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muzzy2017)
    Thats good, running is amazing
    At around the 6 mile mark my legs began to feel a shooting pain and I thought I'd end up snapping something just from the impact with the tarmac. If I were to train seriously I think I'd be able to clear the London marathon.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.