The Student Room Group

Laptop or MacBook? Advice for Mum please

MY daughters current laptop is on its last legs so she needs a replacement and I really don’t know what is best. She has just started Uni so mostly needs it for writing coursework and watching Netflix! Nothing too complicated. I want to get her good value for money but don’t mind spending the money if it is worth it. Any thoughts or recommendations. Thanks in advance from Mum who’s not great at these things but knows you lot are!!
If she always used Windows and she doesn't have too much multi-tasking, then a Laptop is good enough. Macbook is way too expensive for simple work and watching Netflix. I would really suggest looking into the new models of Asus Zenbook, they are really good.
Just to note, Macbook doesn't let you download anything and everything from the internet (which has its pros and cons) and there might be compatability issues with some softwares on Macbook. Windows usually supports all the softwares and programs and is wayyy more user friendly and easy to use. Macbook is for those who have lots of money to spare really
Original post by Pipkin1812
MY daughters current laptop is on its last legs so she needs a replacement and I really don’t know what is best. She has just started Uni so mostly needs it for writing coursework and watching Netflix! Nothing too complicated. I want to get her good value for money but don’t mind spending the money if it is worth it. Any thoughts or recommendations. Thanks in advance from Mum who’s not great at these things but knows you lot are!!

If you're looking for value for money, then it has to be Windows. Apple isn't really known for its value for money :lol:
Reply 4
Any recommendations??
Any recommendations??

Asus Zenbook, as above pointed out, is a good laptop. Or this HP laptop looks quite good value for money IMO.

What's your budget?

Original post by Jasir Alam
Just to note, Macbook doesn't let you download anything and everything from the internet

Yes they do, Apple may have their own App store (as does Windows) but you can still download anything you like and install applications from any source. OS X does not take the same walled garden approach as iOS.
Reply 7
Well I would pay for a MacBook if we’re realy worth the extra money but otherwise I’m thinking around £500-£600 mark.
Well I would pay for a MacBook if we’re realy worth the extra money but otherwise I’m thinking around £500-£600 mark.

"Worth the money" is a very subjective term. The MacBook lines are generally gorgeously built and the operating system feels slicker than Windows, but in terms of actual specs and what you can use them for there is very little to separate an Apple laptop from a similarly powerful Windows laptop that only costs two thirds of the price.

Your daughter's need are very basic, any decent laptop will do the job as well as a MacBook can because nothing is going to stress it. Look for a Core i5 with the product code beginning with 6 or 7 (e.g i5-7200U), 8GB or RAM and 128-256GB of SSD storage, all of which is probably doable for under £600. You can then spend more on something that's a bit more premium.in design.
Reply 9
Great advice thank you. Any other suggestions of specific makes /models??
Great advice thank you. Any other suggestions of specific makes /models??

Check out and research the newest Asus Zenbook models. In my opinion, they are the most reliable and the best, sleekest and fastest laptops for a budget under £600. Moreover the Zenbook has been rated one of the best laptops of 2017. So would definitely recommend it!
I have a MacBook and from my experience, it is much easier to use than a laptop and is much more user-friendly.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Christ, never knew Macs were that bad.

They're not, he's got that wrong.
If ur a student you get a discount of up to £130 off and FREE BEATS which you can sell for money(about £200) so yeah... Macbooks are worth it money wise
Reply 14
Ok, good advice, any recommendations for laptops around £200-£400 mark?
GET A MACBOOK!!!!!
It is honestly the best this you can buy. yes it's expensive, but it's worth your money. and, personally, I love using it and it makes me what to actually do some work. it is also easy to use, especially if you have an iPhone.
I personally like my macbook, she can get student discounts for it too.I've had it for about 3 years and I use it mainly for netflix and school work too and it has been very useful. I don't have any problems with viruses or lagging. I use it all night and it's really durable. I don't remember the last time I've shut down my mac as I always watch netflix before bed and it ends up playing throughout the night (oops), yet it hasn't affected the laptops performance it any way. Also, I like the designs of the macbook, unlike other laptops I don't think it ever looks 'old' and obsolete. They are also fairly compact and light, especially the macbook air and the smaller screens macs which is useful when travelling in uni.
Don’t know a lot about computers, but can you get/ download word etc on MacBooks?
Don’t get a MacBook! My sister went to uni and got one and she keeps complaining about how it doesn’t sync up with uni printers, or formatting when submitting coursework doesn’t work when the lecturer opens it in word etc.

Stick to windows, she can get a shiny apple product later
Reply 19
Thank you all for your valuable advice. She has just reminded me that she wants to be able to play dvd’s So need some ne that can handle that too??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending