Turn on thread page Beta

Hong Kong student finding vetmed work experience watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hi everyone!
    I am a student who is currently facing the DSE examination in 6 months (sth like A-level). My parents and I have decided to take a gap year in order to fulfil the work experience required. However, there really isn't much of it in Hong Kong. Below are some questions that I am desperate to find the answer. Thanks

    Wanna Ask:
    1) If anyone knows where can I have work experience on Dairy/Marine animals/LA in Hong Kong?
    2) Does the pre-vet summer schools offered by RVC and Bristol count for work experience? If yes, which criteria does it refer to?
    3) How many course places are there for D100 international applicants? How many applies are there for D100 every year? How many of them can go through the interview part?

    Might be a little late but whatever you might still see this hopefully

    I am from Hong Kong too but I am studying A levels in the UK for the moment.

    1. Personally, I found it quite hard to find marine or dairy animals in Hong Kong unless you know somebody from ocean park which they can help you with. However, kadoorie farm is a good option for exotic animals. I am going to have work experience in kadoorie farm, some clinics and hospitals, as well as some laboratories in Hong Kong. As you are taking a gap year, you have got a lot more time than me ( I have to apply it by this October). Send your applications as soon as possible. They are really fully booked especially bigger animals hospitals and exotics ones. If you know someone from hk jockey club, it’s a good place for equine experience as well.

    2. Yes. I did plan on applying RVC summer school but then I didn’t at last. I sent an email to them and they say it counts for one week of experience which 2 days for clinical and 3 days for large animals / farm. However, I personally think that as the course takes over 2 weeks, it’s better to spend the time to do more work experience rather than joining the programme. But if you have a whole year, it might be a good option.

    3. There are 8 universities in the UK offering vet med degrees. Each school has about 100-250 places. I forgot the exact numbers but you could certainly find it online. I am not sure how many places they offer for international applicants because i will be applying through UCAS. It is really competitive and Edinburgh accepts the most number of international applicants. Most go through the interview part as long as you go through the basic requirements ( your grades and amount of work experience).

    Hope that helps

    Feel free to pm if you have any concerns
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2018
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.