The Student Room Group

Hong Kong student finding vetmed work experience

Hi everyone!
I am a student who is currently facing the DSE examination in 6 months (sth like A-level). My parents and I have decided to take a gap year in order to fulfil the work experience required. However, there really isn't much of it in Hong Kong. Below are some questions that I am desperate to find the answer. Thanks:smile:

Wanna Ask:
1) If anyone knows where can I have work experience on Dairy/Marine animals/LA in Hong Kong?
2) Does the pre-vet summer schools offered by RVC and Bristol count for work experience? If yes, which criteria does it refer to?
3) How many course places are there for D100 international applicants? How many applies are there for D100 every year? How many of them can go through the interview part?
(edited 6 years ago)
Might be a little late but whatever you might still see this :smile: hopefully

I am from Hong Kong too but I am studying A levels in the UK for the moment.

1. Personally, I found it quite hard to find marine or dairy animals in Hong Kong unless you know somebody from ocean park which they can help you with. However, kadoorie farm is a good option for exotic animals. I am going to have work experience in kadoorie farm, some clinics and hospitals, as well as some laboratories in Hong Kong. As you are taking a gap year, you have got a lot more time than me ( I have to apply it by this October). Send your applications as soon as possible. They are really fully booked especially bigger animals hospitals and exotics ones. If you know someone from hk jockey club, it’s a good place for equine experience as well.

2. Yes. I did plan on applying RVC summer school but then I didn’t at last. I sent an email to them and they say it counts for one week of experience which 2 days for clinical and 3 days for large animals / farm. However, I personally think that as the course takes over 2 weeks, it’s better to spend the time to do more work experience rather than joining the programme. But if you have a whole year, it might be a good option.

3. There are 8 universities in the UK offering vet med degrees. Each school has about 100-250 places. I forgot the exact numbers but you could certainly find it online. I am not sure how many places they offer for international applicants because i will be applying through UCAS. It is really competitive and Edinburgh accepts the most number of international applicants. Most go through the interview part as long as you go through the basic requirements ( your grades and amount of work experience).

Hope that helps :smile:

Feel free to pm if you have any concerns
Reply 2
Original post by Angelaloxx
Might be a little late but whatever you might still see this :smile: hopefully

I am from Hong Kong too but I am studying A levels in the UK for the moment.

1. Personally, I found it quite hard to find marine or dairy animals in Hong Kong unless you know somebody from ocean park which they can help you with. However, kadoorie farm is a good option for exotic animals. I am going to have work experience in kadoorie farm, some clinics and hospitals, as well as some laboratories in Hong Kong. As you are taking a gap year, you have got a lot more time than me ( I have to apply it by this October). Send your applications as soon as possible. They are really fully booked especially bigger animals hospitals and exotics ones. If you know someone from hk jockey club, it’s a good place for equine experience as well.

2. Yes. I did plan on applying RVC summer school but then I didn’t at last. I sent an email to them and they say it counts for one week of experience which 2 days for clinical and 3 days for large animals / farm. However, I personally think that as the course takes over 2 weeks, it’s better to spend the time to do more work experience rather than joining the programme. But if you have a whole year, it might be a good option.

3. There are 8 universities in the UK offering vet med degrees. Each school has about 100-250 places. I forgot the exact numbers but you could certainly find it online. I am not sure how many places they offer for international applicants because i will be applying through UCAS. It is really competitive and Edinburgh accepts the most number of international applicants. Most go through the interview part as long as you go through the basic requirements ( your grades and amount of work experience).

Hope that helps :smile:

Feel free to pm if you have any concerns

PMED thanks a lot!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending