Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who can't speak proper English Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    Err... Just so you know, "Should've" is a contraction similar to "Can't" or "Won't". It's not "should of", but when people are speaking it is pronounced very similarly.

Should've is perfectly fine.
    I think he's probably referring to when people hear 'should've' as 'should of' and then write it that way instead of using 'should have' / 'should've'.

ReputationRep:
    You are aware that grammar is not universal - regional dialects of English exist that have their own unique grammar rules that differ from standard English. It doesn't mean a person speaking in that dialect is wrong, it just means that they are from somewhere else.

Moreover, I think an appreciation of language and how it actually works is in order. English as it is today is a result of speakers of previous forms of English using it 'wrong.' Language is a beautiful and changeable thing, far from set in stone, and changes and develops as the people who use it need. Nobody says Shakespeare was wrong for shoving a bunch of made up words into his work, and now we have a word for elbow. So who knows - maybe in a hundred years, "should of" will be correct.

ReputationRep:
    Colloquial language or second(+) language? If very minor grammatical errors trigger you, you must be living a very comfortable life...

Outside of formal conversation or other formal means of communicating, it's perfectly fine as long as what they're saying can be easily understood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xopher_)
    Am I the only one who gets ridiculously triggered when someone can't use proper grammar? Like my mum will say "No one will do nothing for me" or "I can't find my keys nowhere" people use "should of" instead of "should have" it just triggers me and I needed to rant about it.
    People not bothering to include the necessary pronoun for their sentence to literally mean what they intend is what annoys me when it comes to improper grammar.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No, because I have a life.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's just you. What a stupid thing to get upset over lmao

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who gets ridiculously triggered when someone can't use proper grammar? Like my mum will say "No one will do nothing for me" or "I can't find my keys nowhere" people use "should of" instead of "should have" it just triggers me and I needed to rant about it.
    So pleased for you that this concerns you and triggers you enough to rant about it. I think you need to get out more.
    As for using your mother to get your point across - that to me says it all about the sort of person you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    People not bothering to include the necessary pronoun for their sentence to literally mean what they intend is what annoys me when it comes to improper grammar.
    Spanish people?

As long as you can get the meaning from context, though, what's the problem?

ihatePE this is you

ReputationRep:
      I mean people who are born English and just didn't pay attention in English class. Except that isn't even a valid argument because I didn't go to secondary school.
      Tbf, that **** doesn’t even get taught in English class anymore. The new GCSE is all about analysing texts.
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
      eye get Really triggerd two wen peoples cant yous proper. gramer)
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by bulgylau)
      ihatePE this is you
      yes but r u BYELINGAL

ReputationRep:
      Get a grip and stop being a crybaby.

(Original post by ihatePE)
        yes but r u BYELINGAL
        da
        Spoiler:
        Show

yes

ReputationRep:
        In a professional setting, sure. Makes it unprofessional.
        But casually, amongst friends and families or strangers, definitely not. Maybe point it out to teach the young ones a bit here and there.

ReputationRep:
        Yeah it's annoying when people who speak English as their first language can't even speak it properly

ReputationRep:
        Some people choose to do this. Like me

Wha chu doin there m8?
        Y u do dis?
        U wot m8?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by jabbathemuttdog)
        I’m personally triggered when people use ‘week’ as a plural instead of ‘weeks’.

My dAD iS gOINg on hOliDAy iN 8 WEeK.

Then again, speaking English is not easy for everyone. Especially if it’s your second/third/fourth language.
        Bruh, there's at least 6 sheeps in that field

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by -Mathematician-)
        eye get Really triggerd two wen peoples cant yous proper. gramer)
        I don't even mind this. It's double negatives.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by abc:))
        Are you trying to say that when someone says 'I don't have no-one to talk to' you actually don't understand what they're saying?

I'm asking because I'm struggling to see why you make a distinction between 'give it me' being ok, but 'I don't have no-one' not being ok? It seems arbitrary.
        Not gonna try and explain, both are illiterate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
      Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.