Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For the last month and a half, I've been feeling very low much of the time. I've cried a lot too, about nothing and just feel very worthless in general. I have no motivation to do anything and am very tired. As a top student and top athlete, this is being very detrimental to both my studies and my sport. I've become much more isolated from most of my friends and have cancelled plans as I don't feel up to going out, when previously I've been very social. I'm very worried that my friends or teachers think that I'm becoming moody or grumpy, as I often don't feel up to talking as I worry that if I talk or raise my hand in class I will break down into tears. I've previously been extremely vocal and chatty in class. Teachers have asked me if I'm ok, but I haven't told anyone but it's just getting worse. I don't want to be referred to a counsellor, and don't want to be labelled but I'm worried that as a result of how I'm feeling, my relationships with teachers and friends may suffer as well as my grades and position on sports teams. I'm really scaring myself and wish I could just snap out of my low moods. What do I do? Please help me.

ReputationRep:
    Try not to self-diagnose/speculate as it can make things worse: go and talk to your GP, it’s completely confidential from everyone (including school and your family). They will be able to give you medication if they feel it’ll help or more likely they will refer you on to a counsellor. This way it can be sorted quickly so any effects on your personal life can be minimised.

ReputationRep:
    Michael Phelps. Even becoming "the greatest swimmer of all time" didn't stop him from becoming depressed.
    You could ask yourself what motivates you to perform at sport. do you like sport? Do you want to be the best at that sport?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie.kitty)
    For the last month and a half, I've been feeling very low much of the time. I've cried a lot too, about nothing and just feel very worthless in general. I have no motivation to do anything and am very tired. As a top student and top athlete, this is being very detrimental to both my studies and my sport. I've become much more isolated from most of my friends and have cancelled plans as I don't feel up to going out, when previously I've been very social. I'm very worried that my friends or teachers think that I'm becoming moody or grumpy, as I often don't feel up to talking as I worry that if I talk or raise my hand in class I will break down into tears. I've previously been extremely vocal and chatty in class. Teachers have asked me if I'm ok, but I haven't told anyone but it's just getting worse. I don't want to be referred to a counsellor, and don't want to be labelled but I'm worried that as a result of how I'm feeling, my relationships with teachers and friends may suffer as well as my grades and position on sports teams. I'm really scaring myself and wish I could just snap out of my low moods. What do I do? Please help me.
    My rule for this sort of thing is: If you are worried about or considering it there is clearly something going on.
    It may or may not be depression, but you aren't doing terribly well and you need to get it sorted. Things like this have a nasty habit of getting worse the longer you leave them so it's best to get some support as soon as you notice you're having issues.

You can start by checking out mind.org and sane.org for some info and advice on mh issues. The advice is centred around mh issues, but is also good for if you're just feeling a bit stressed or not quite awesome.

You can also ask your school/ college about counselling (they will usually have a free service), see your GP (completely confidential- nobody needs to know), or chat to a service like samaritans or (depending on your age) childline by phone or online.
    You don't have to go down that route and can try the more self-help side of things first, but talking in a safe space with somebody helping you to untangle where stuff is coming from can really help. At the very least it's good to know it's there so you can give it a go if need be.
    It's like if you have an infection or something- you can try giving yourself rest and letting your body fight it off, but if it doesn't go away you need some help from a doctor. Doesn't mean you're weak or will be an "infectie" for life. Just means you're a bit ill right now and your body can't deal with it all alone so you need a little help.

Do you mind if I ask why you don't want to have counselling?

If you have any questions about anything feel free to ask me and i'll do my best to answer.
    Hope that helps and good luck with everything. Hope you start feeling more yourself soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Michael Phelps. Even becoming "the greatest swimmer of all time" didn't stop him from becoming depressed.
    You could ask yourself what motivates you to perform at sport. do you like sport? Do you want to be the best at that sport?
    hi, thanks for commenting! Right now, sport is actually one of the only things that I can wholeheartedly say I genuinely enjoy. Although I sometimes feel so tired and lethargic that I can't give much effort, one of the only things that makes me feel bettter is running up the court, or just going for a jog to clear my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    My rule for this sort of thing is: If you are worried about or considering it there is clearly something going on.
    It may or may not be depression, but you aren't doing terribly well and you need to get it sorted. Things like this have a nasty habit of getting worse the longer you leave them so it's best to get some support as soon as you notice you're having issues.

You can start by checking out mind.org and sane.org for some info and advice on mh issues. The advice is centred around mh issues, but is also good for if you're just feeling a bit stressed or not quite awesome.

You can also ask your school/ college about counselling (they will usually have a free service), see your GP (completely confidential- nobody needs to know), or chat to a service like samaritans or (depending on your age) childline by phone or online.
    You don't have to go down that route and can try the more self-help side of things first, but talking in a safe space with somebody helping you to untangle where stuff is coming from can really help. At the very least it's good to know it's there so you can give it a go if need be.
    It's like if you have an infection or something- you can try giving yourself rest and letting your body fight it off, but if it doesn't go away you need some help from a doctor. Doesn't mean you're weak or will be an "infectie" for life. Just means you're a bit ill right now and your body can't deal with it all alone so you need a little help.

Do you mind if I ask why you don't want to have counselling?

If you have any questions about anything feel free to ask me and i'll do my best to answer.
    Hope that helps and good luck with everything. Hope you start feeling more yourself soon
    Thanks for your post- it's very helpful to get some ideas.
    The reason I don't want to get counselling is that I don't want all my teachers and friends to know what's going on with me, I'm scared that I will find out I have a mental health issue and I'm scared of what will happen.
    But at the same time, I'm really scared right now because my thoughts and emotions are completely out of my control... when I want to be happy and bubbly, it's as if something is stopping me, but I can't control it. I'm scared of losing my friends over this and I'm really scared of how this thing (whatever it is) is affecting my life.
    As you can see, I'm really confused about what to do and on top of that aren't feeling good about myself either. I've lost a lot of confidence in myself and that is another reason that I don't think I'll be able to talk to a counsellor or a teacher about what's going on.

Thank you for your kind words, it's good to know someone's listening.
    I would be really grateful if you could help some more in what you think I should do next, in response to what I've said above
    Best, Ellie x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Mathematician-)
    Try not to self-diagnose/speculate as it can make things worse: go and talk to your GP, it’s completely confidential from everyone (including school and your family). They will be able to give you medication if they feel it’ll help or more likely they will refer you on to a counsellor. This way it can be sorted quickly so any effects on your personal life can be minimised.
    Thanks for your advice xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm depressed everyday and i'm not complaining lol.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ellie,

For a couple of months I was feeling anxious and depressed which really isn't like me. I felt stressed about exams and university application amongst many other things. When I went to the GP for a repeat prescription they noticed scratch marks on my arms and I explained I did it when I felt anxious or depressed. I was given a leaflet for the depression and anxiety service and I've now been given several phone appointments of CBT. I would recommend going to a GP as you may be able to get phone appointments. These are really good if you don't want anyone in your school to know about it because they last 45 minutes and can occur in the privacy of your own home.

Good luck xx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecds)
    Hi Ellie,

For a couple of months I was feeling anxious and depressed which really isn't like me. I felt stressed about exams and university application amongst many other things. When I went to the GP for a repeat prescription they noticed scratch marks on my arms and I explained I did it when I felt anxious or depressed. I was given a leaflet for the depression and anxiety service and I've now been given several phone appointments of CBT. I would recommend going to a GP as you may be able to get phone appointments. These are really good if you don't want anyone in your school to know about it because they last 45 minutes and can occur in the privacy of your own home.

Good luck xx
    Thanks- that's helpful. It's good to know that's an option!
    I hope it's helped you, and I will definitely consider it as I'm really not feeling myself right not at all.
    I hope you don't mind me asking... but I was wondering what sort of thing you talk about in the phone appointments, as I'm not convinced that talking to someone will help really?
    Thanks, all the best xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tizzy65)
    I'm depressed everyday and i'm not complaining lol.
    Sorry to hear that.
    i'm not complaining.. just asking for advice and help to give me some ideas to make myself feel better.

ReputationRep:
    I've actually only had the one appointment so they were asking about the extent of my self harm and things to that effect. If you haven't heard of CBT before I would look it up - it has the most evidence for working out of all talking therapies. It aims to find links between your beliefs and your perception of the truth and what you think may happen. You then try to understand your own thought processes and rationalise them. It helps a lot in things like depression and anxiety when people tend I have a negative perception of themselves. Xx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie.kitty)
    Thanks for your post- it's very helpful to get some ideas.
    The reason I don't want to get counselling is that I don't want all my teachers and friends to know what's going on with me, I'm scared that I will find out I have a mental health issue and I'm scared of what will happen.
    But at the same time, I'm really scared right now because my thoughts and emotions are completely out of my control... when I want to be happy and bubbly, it's as if something is stopping me, but I can't control it. I'm scared of losing my friends over this and I'm really scared of how this thing (whatever it is) is affecting my life.
    As you can see, I'm really confused about what to do and on top of that aren't feeling good about myself either. I've lost a lot of confidence in myself and that is another reason that I don't think I'll be able to talk to a counsellor or a teacher about what's going on.

Thank you for your kind words, it's good to know someone's listening.
    I would be really grateful if you could help some more in what you think I should do next, in response to what I've said above
    Best, Ellie x
    I know how scary this all is and you have some tough decisions to make, but diagnosis and treatment are not a big deal. The important thing is how you are feeling and as you've said it's getting worse and you should not be living like this.
    If you go to a doctor or get counselling nobody has to know. I had counselling and therapy through college and the only people who knew were people I told myself.
    But, even if somebody did know it's not a big deal. Mental health problems are really common and chances are whoever knows will have some experience with them. Some people might judge, but they are asses and you can just ignore them.
    I found out in a incident at uni that people are far more understanding and supportive than you might think.

Depression makes you feel bad about yourself and think that everybody else thinks even worse of you. That's not true. It's just the depression trying to isolate you so it can grow. Most people honestly won't care enough to even work out that you're seeing a counsellor, let alone judge you for it. Anybody who does care enough will probably care because they care about you so will just be glad that you are getting help.
    If you loose any friends because they find out you're unwell they weren't good friends to begin with.

I suggest you do a it of reading on mind.org and sane.org and make an appointment to see your GP. They can give you some advice and might give you a referral or some treatment options. It's good to take a list of things you want to say or ask wit you because it can be easy to get nervous and forget.
    I would also suggest you ask somebody at your school if they have a counselling service you could use. It will be confidential that you are using it and could really help you to vent and talk things over with somebody.

You might like to tell your parents, a friend or anybody else you trust. You don't have to, but it can really help to have somebody on your side and looking out for you a little. Just means you don't have to be hiding stuff around them and they can back you up if you ever need to cancel plans or anything.

It's difficult to open up to a counellor to start with, but anything you say in there is totally confidential. If you like you can imagine them as a robot. They are there to talk things through with you and support you. That's all.
    If you're not quite ready for that though you can try emailing samaritans. Again, it's all confidential and anonymous. It's a bit less awkward because you're not talking to a face or a person.
    You can also try the online chat service childline has if you're under 18 or check out the service sane has. They're all free, anonymous and confidential so you can say whatever you want with no worries. You can even use an in private internet window or delete your browsing history after if you want.

We also have a Mental Health forum and Mental Health Support Society here on TSR. The people over there are lovely and it might be nice to open up a bit over there. You can post anon in both btw.

So that's my suggestion- talk to your doctor and get some counselling. There's no rush, do it when you're ready and feel free to build some confidence talking about that sort of stuff on here or with one of those services.

I hope that helps. Any other questions feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    Hey at least you cry. I've become so numbed that even that I don't do but feel nothing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.