Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My flatmate won't go out at all and rarely drinks due to 1 bad experience. How do I convince him to go out at least once? Halloween is coming up as well. I am worried that he won't make many GOOD friends by not going out and by second year not have a house to share with friends.

ReputationRep:
    If he doesn't drink make it clear that you accept his choice and promise not to pressure him, maybe he's worried about that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milky_Way)
    If he doesn't drink make it clear that you accept his choice and promise not to pressure him, maybe he's worried about that
    I am mainly worried that he wont make many friends by the time second year comes around for sharing a house. By the sounds of it he hasn't made any friends that he does stuff with on his course. For example, I met 2 ppl on my first night out at pres who's on his course and I organised to go to the pub with them and another mate. But he hasn't made any friends of his own. I always offer and we have a bit of a laugh but not even once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFordFaithful)
    I am mainly worried that he wont make many friends by the time second year comes around for sharing a house. By the sounds of it he hasn't made any friends that he does stuff with on his course. For example, I met 2 ppl on my first night out at pres who's on his course and I organised to go to the pub with them and another mate. But he hasn't made any friends of his own. I always offer and we have a bit of a laugh but not even once.
    I think it's really nice that you're so worried about your friend Maybe encourage him to join a society? If partying or going out isn't his thing

ReputationRep:
    Indeed I think it's nice of you to care for your flatmate. Maybe try to rationalise his 'bad experience', show him that one bad experience shouldn't affect him forever. Or if the objective is to make friends, maybe point him over to societies. Maybe he may be able to find like-minded friends that don't necessarily fancy drinking?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.