Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Just because I think you're beautiful, doesn't mean everyone else does" Watch

So I have had comments like this from a few guys, and was wondering why say something nice in a strange way. I've also previously had another comment like "you're pretty but not that pretty... but I like you". Is it just a way to make me feel like I should be lucky they want me. I don't get it, obviously comments like this will put me off.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    So I have had comments like this from a few guys, and was wondering why say something nice in a strange way. I've also previously had another comment like "you're pretty but not that pretty... but I like you". Is it just a way to make me feel like I should be lucky they want me. I don't get it, obviously comments like this will put me off.
    I think they're trying this technique call push and pull they give a comment to pull you in and then push you away. In theory it builds sexual tension by causing uncertainty and mystery. It makes the girl want the guy however it rarely works. You probably are really attractive and they are using this technique that they saw on multiple Youtube videos in attempt to make you want them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that sounds pretty manipulative, it's like "I'm the only guy who thinks you're attractive so you should be thankful that I want you". Like it makes it sound like them fancying you is a burden and that's super ****ed up, they're probably saying that to give themselves and ego boost. You deserve better than that.

ReputationRep:
    Any guy who says that is a freak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

maybe you're acting too prestige.....

ReputationRep:
    Why are they a freak Wikia

(Original post by ANM775)
    maybe you're acting too prestige.....
    Definitely not acting prestige, considering I'm not even a confident person.

ReputationRep:
    Look up 'negging'. It's a technique to make you feel less secure. Anyone who uses it is a cockwomble and not worth your time!

ReputationRep:
    means they clearly think you are very pretty but they don't want you to be too sure of yourself and therefore try to lower your confidence (or chances of straying basically) by telling you that other men might not find you attractive. its all done out of fear to make sure you only stick with them. very typical trait from insecure men i've found

ReputationRep:
    One crazy ex-boyfriend of mine used to say things like that; it's really manipulative and I wouldn't tolerate comments like that if I were you. This ex of mine really used my low self-confidence and general self-hate against me, and it made me really vulnerable and I accepted so much of his trash because I felt like I was lucky to have someone who liked me.

In and of itself, it's just really unnecessary. Of course not everyone is going to find you attractive; the vast majority of people understand this. Why bring it up? Does he think you're arrogant or narcissist or something? If not, why do it?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.