Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How close do police need to be to detect you on their ANPR system Watch

ReputationRep:
    I knowyou think it's ti.e you have any work in Tevenage and oo h h e's left message on the oo h oo h h

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimme a shout)
    I purchased a car and needed to drive it back home. I obtained insurance and had mot. If i drive past police with no tax and i am not stopped. Can they still detect my car on tbeir database. Or do they need to be tailing the car. What distance between the two before it flaggs up ?
    My guess is that they don't need to do anything.

They'll just fine you and send the letter through the post.

ReputationRep:
    So whats the distance between two cars in order to detect

ReputationRep:
    So whats the distance between two cars in order to detect
    Infinite. They know you have a car that hasn't been taxed so just send you a letter. Simples. As for ANPR they just need to be behind you are passing you. But regardless, if you haven't SORNed your car, expect a letter asking you to pay your tax.

ReputationRep:
    it wasn't taxed on the journey home from buying it from car dealers, the car is taxed but the day after purchase
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I purchased a car and needed to drive it back home. I obtained insurance and had mot. If i drive past police with no tax and i am not stopped. Can they still detect my car on tbeir database. Or do they need to be tailing the car. What distance between the two before it flaggs up ?
    Why didn't you tax it before driving it.. taxing is instant - I don't see what valid excuse you could possibly have?

The ANPR system onboard police vehicles can scan loads of number plates all at once and flag up any dodgy vehicles. If you weren't stopped at the time, you won't hear anything of it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    7vgghghhhghhhvvvctvtvvtvvtvvyvyv vvuv g uf fu uf uf uf gu uf g g uf ug ug gu ug ug. Ggu ig ug ig ug ig ig ig h ig ig ig ig ig ig g ig ig ig g. Honbihcyfxexufvbhii bpnpju6ggbsc bfv bnkhhbcdchhmkoewehuucyu
    Yeah.. great.. admit to breaking the law then start spamming when questioned on it..

ReputationRep:
    did i for one hour my bad

ReputationRep:
    did i for one hour my bad
    You know the police can trace your pre-edited comments, right?

You're ****ed.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Do us a favour and get off the roads. We pay tax and so should you.

I hope you get found out for this.

Spoiler:
    Show

Even if you change your OP, other people have quoted you :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Why would you insure the car but not tax it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by PhilipG1)
    Why would you insure the car but not tax it?
    This.

It used to be that you couldn't even insure a car WITHOUT taxing it, but that changed a couple of years ago. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Go away will you. My car was untaxed the day i purchased it. The car is and was taxed the very next day. Get over it jesus christ go over the top. Bully the real assoles that drive without paying their Insurance Tax etc.

ReputationRep:
    Insuance i could orgsnise on my phone that sunday. It wouldnt allow me to tax PhilipG1 so had to go postoffice next day. All was sorted. I was curious incase i got stooped, but then i would have explained I'd just purchased the car.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Insuance i could orgsnise on my phone that sunday. It wouldnt allow me to tax PhilipG1 so had to go postoffice next day. All was sorted. I was curious incase i got stooped, but then i would have explained I'd just purchased the car.
    You can tax online in seconds. You don't have an excuse.

Go away will you. My car was untaxed the day i purchased it. The car is and was taxed the very next day. Get over it jesus christ go over the top. Bully the real assoles that drive without paying their Insurance Tax etc.
    You did drive without paying tax.. are you thick?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter what you did after, you took it on the road untaxed... Why couldn't you sort the tax out before picking it up? Hell, you could've sorted it out seconds before driving away from the dealer..

You also seem to think that ANPR cameras are only fitted to police cars, which is far from the truth. There are many fixed ANPR cameras across the country on major roads, some of the more obvious ones being SPECS cameras which use ANPR to identify when most vehicles pass through a fixed point and how long it took them to get from point A to B. Whether they also ping back to base like regular ANPR cameras is beyond me...

If the DVLA use ANPR cameras for monitoring car tax and sending fines to reg keepers, expect to get something in post, because the chances that you went by an ANPR location is pretty good...

ReputationRep:
    Is it a brand new car? If it is most dealerships will insure the first year for you as a little extra incentive

ReputationRep:
    ANPR isn't just onboard, they have a network of cameras all over the country (mainly on the motorways), that are constantly scanning cars between junctions so that police can intercept if needed (the only do this if the car is linked to serious crime such as firearms, murder, rape etc)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.