Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’ve completed the square of x^2+4x+9 as (x+2)^2+5. How do I deduce the maximum value of 1/x^2+4x+9?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece.W.J)
    I’ve completed the square of x^2+4x+9 as (x+2)^2+5. How do I deduce the maximum value of 1/x^2+4x+9?
    I'm assuming you mean 1/(x^2+4x+9). Please use brackets to make it clearer next time.

To maximise the value of the fraction, you need to minimise the value of the denominator. You know that the denominator is equivalent to (x+2)^2+5. Think about what the minimum possible value of (x+2)^2 is (remember that a negative number squared is positive), then just add 5.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Lets say you had a single variable y that can be any number >0...

For what value of y is (1/y) a maximum? Not the actual number, but conceptually, how do you make 1/y as big as possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    I'm assuming you mean 1/(x^2+4x+9). Please use brackets to make it clearer next time.

To maximise the value of the fraction, you need to minimise the value of the denominator. You know that the denominator is equivalent to (x+2)^2+5. Think about what the minimum possible value of (x+2)^2 is (remember that a negative number squared is positive), then just add 5.
    -2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
    Lets say you had a single variable y that can be any number >0...

For what value of y is (1/y) a maximum? Not the actual number, but conceptually, how do you make 1/y as big as possible?
    Is it just the 5 from completing the square? Is the fraction just there to try and trick me idk?...

ReputationRep:
    -2?
    Nope. If (x+2) squared is -2, there's no real value that (x+2) could have. Try substituting in various values of x (both positive and negative) and see what you get.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. If (x+2) squared is -2, there's no real value that (x+2) could have. Try substituting in various values of x (both positive and negative) and see what you get.
    I have no idea tbh I struggle to visualise maths from typing but would it just be the 5 from completing the square? The other question I did the minimum value was -14 and that was the same position as the 5 in this. Does that mean the answer is 5 or is 5 the minimum value

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea tbh I struggle to visualise maths from typing but would it just be the 5 from completing the square? The other question I did the minimum value was -14 and that was the same position as the 5 in this. Does that mean the answer is 5 or is 5 the minimum value
    Correct! Basically the minimum value for anything squared (x+2) in this case is zero. For this example, the minimum value is reached when x = -2.

Now, there's one more step. The original question was the maximum value of 1/(x^2+4x+9), so you need to do 1 divided by 5.

As a tip for visualising quadratic functions after you complete the square, start with a standard y=x^2 curve. The bit inside the brackets (+2 in this case) is how far the curve is shifted to the left or the right, but be careful - a positive value goes to the left and a negative to the right. The bit outside the brackets (+5) is how far the curve is shifted up or down. In this case, positive means shifted up and negative shifted down. If you still struggle with this, try opening up a graph plotter such as Desmos and playing around with these kinds of graphs.

ReputationRep:
    Correct! Basically the minimum value for anything squared (x+2) in this case is zero. For this example, the minimum value is reached when x = -2.

Now, there's one more step. The original question was the maximum value of 1/(x^2+4x+9), so you need to do 1 divided by 5.

As a tip for visualising quadratic functions after you complete the square, start with a standard y=x^2 curve. The bit inside the brackets (+2 in this case) is how far the curve is shifted to the left or the right, but be careful - a positive value goes to the left and a negative to the right. The bit outside the brackets (+5) is how far the curve is shifted up or down. In this case, positive means shifted up and negative shifted down. If you still struggle with this, try opening up a graph plotter such as Desmos and playing around with these kinds of graphs.
    Ok so the answer is 1/5 or 0.2 but how come this is the maximum value when the number in the same place on a previous question was the minimum value?

ReputationRep:
    Ok so the answer is 1/5 or 0.2 but how come this is the maximum value when the number in the same place on a previous question was the minimum value?
    You have to do 1 divided by the quadratic. 1 divided by a small number gives a large number.

ReputationRep:
    You have to do 1 divided by the quadratic. 1 divided by a small number gives a large number.
    Idk

ReputationRep:
    Idk
    If you still don't get it, try opening up a graph plotter and plotting the graphs of y=x^2+4x+9 and y=1/(x^2+4x+9) on the same set of axes.

ReputationRep:
    If you still don't get it, try opening up a graph plotter and plotting the graphs of y=x^2+4x+9 and y=1/(x^2+4x+9) on the same set of axes.
    Did I do something wrong ?Name:  E702710A-A2DB-4F80-A73F-A20D2D253C38.jpg.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  18.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    Did I do something wrong ?
    Nope. That's right. You should see that when the top graph is at its minimum point (at -2, 5), the bottom graph is at its maximum point.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. That's right. You should see that when the top graph is at its minimum point (at -2, 5), the bottom graph is at its maximum point.
    Yeah so is that 1/5 or 0.2?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah so is that 1/5 or 0.2?
    Yep. Hopefully now you see that if you find the minimum point of one graph and do 1 divided by that graph, you get a maximum point.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Hopefully now you see that if you find the minimum point of one graph and do 1 divided by that graph, you get a maximum point.
    I understand now thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.