Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I withdraw my other applications now I have the offer I want? Watch

    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    I'm genuinely over the moon because my dream uni has given me an unconditional for my dream course (if firmed, the usual entry requirements are AAA so I was so shocked to get anything other than that) only three days after I sent my UCAS off.

    I basically know now that no matter what else I get, I will be firming this offer. I couldn't imagine anything better.

    However, none of my other choices have gotten back to me and I'm currently entered in to do an entrance exam and send work off for Oxford, followed by an interview if I get one. I don't know if it's a bit pointless now going through all of that when I know that, even if I get an offer, I more than probably won't accept it. For context, I think I want to do my masters at Oxford now rather than a BA.

    I just really want to firm the offer I've got and get started on preparing for it! But am I being stupid wanting to withdraw all my other offers due to this excitable haze, should I just wait until they gradually all come through before accepting?

    PS. My course is a competitive one, so it could take a long time for them all to get back to me and I'm paranoid I'll be missing out on getting my first choice accommodation and starting the reading list etc.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    I'm genuinely over the moon because my dream uni has given me an unconditional for my dream course (if firmed, the usual entry requirements are AAA so I was so shocked to get anything other than that) only three days after I sent my UCAS off.

    I basically know now that no matter what else I get, I will be firming this offer. I couldn't imagine anything better.

    However, none of my other choices have gotten back to me and I'm currently entered in to do an entrance exam and send work off for Oxford, followed by an interview if I get one. I don't know if it's a bit pointless now going through all of that when I know that, even if I get an offer, I more than probably won't accept it. For context, I think I want to do my masters at Oxford now rather than a BA.

    I just really want to firm the offer I've got and get started on preparing for it! But am I being stupid wanting to withdraw all my other offers due to this excitable haze, should I just wait until they gradually all come through before accepting?
    There's no need for you to rush a decision, if you're certain it's your dream uni then taking a few days to be sure that it isn't just excitement over getting an unconditional offer. If after a few days you feel the same then go for it.
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    I'm genuinely over the moon because my dream uni has given me an unconditional for my dream course (if firmed, the usual entry requirements are AAA so I was so shocked to get anything other than that) only three days after I sent my UCAS off.

    I basically know now that no matter what else I get, I will be firming this offer. I couldn't imagine anything better.

    However, none of my other choices have gotten back to me and I'm currently entered in to do an entrance exam and send work off for Oxford, followed by an interview if I get one. I don't know if it's a bit pointless now going through all of that when I know that, even if I get an offer, I more than probably won't accept it. For context, I think I want to do my masters at Oxford now rather than a BA.

    I just really want to firm the offer I've got and get started on preparing for it! But am I being stupid wanting to withdraw all my other offers due to this excitable haze, should I just wait until they gradually all come through before accepting?
    Think logically.

    Do nothing = your applications will be considered normally, you will get acceptances or rejections. You might change your mind, and there may be unforeseen circumstances that will require you to change your mind.

    Withdraw all your other applications = you will have to commit to this one firm offer, and will have no safe grounds upon which to retreat if something goes wrong or you change your mind.

    If I were you, I would let the other applications be considered.
    • Study Helper
    Offline

    18
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    I'm genuinely over the moon because my dream uni has given me an unconditional for my dream course (if firmed, the usual entry requirements are AAA so I was so shocked to get anything other than that) only three days after I sent my UCAS off.

    I basically know now that no matter what else I get, I will be firming this offer. I couldn't imagine anything better.

    However, none of my other choices have gotten back to me and I'm currently entered in to do an entrance exam and send work off for Oxford, followed by an interview if I get one. I don't know if it's a bit pointless now going through all of that when I know that, even if I get an offer, I more than probably won't accept it. For context, I think I want to do my masters at Oxford now rather than a BA.

    I just really want to firm the offer I've got and get started on preparing for it! But am I being stupid wanting to withdraw all my other offers due to this excitable haze, should I just wait until they gradually all come through before accepting?
    If you are 100% sure then you may as well withdraw your other applications. But even if there is a tiny bit of doubt, keep the applications in for now and try and go to open days etc to make your decision.

    For Oxford, even attending an interview will give you a good feel of the place, so might be worth even doing that.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youyouxue)
    Think logically.

    Do nothing = your applications will be considered normally, you will get acceptances or rejections. You might change your mind, and there may be unforeseen circumstances that will require you to change your mind.

    Withdraw all your other applications = you will have to commit to this one firm offer, and will have no safe grounds upon which to retreat if something goes wrong or you change your mind.

    If I were you, I would let the other applications be considered.
    Thank you for thinking logically for me. I probably should hold off. I'm just worried it's going to take months & months, but that's just my impatience. I think I might find out when you can start applying for accommodation, and if they haven't all gotten back to me by then, I will withdraw.
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    Don't rush into anything. You have until May next year to decide whats right for you. I think 99% of people would accept an Oxford offer (probably also 99% of people couldn't get one), and if you're in the 1% that wouldn't that's fair enough. But I'd wait until you hear from all 5 choices and then assess, and if you still feel the same way then good for you.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    There's no need for you to rush a decision, if you're certain it's your dream uni then taking a few days to be sure that it isn't just excitement over getting an unconditional offer. If after a few days you feel the same then go for it.
    Thank you

    I'm sure I will feel the same - it was the university I went to and just went WOW, fully expecting I would have to work so hard to ensure I get the AAA conditional offer. The fact it is unconditional is just an insane bonus, and I feel so flattered that they'd even offer me that! (I'm obviously still going to work really hard on my A-Levels, it's just lovely that the pressure is off a bit)

    I'll leave it a while, and try to calm down!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    I'm genuinely over the moon because my dream uni has given me an unconditional for my dream course (if firmed, the usual entry requirements are AAA so I was so shocked to get anything other than that) only three days after I sent my UCAS off.

    I basically know now that no matter what else I get, I will be firming this offer. I couldn't imagine anything better.

    However, none of my other choices have gotten back to me and I'm currently entered in to do an entrance exam and send work off for Oxford, followed by an interview if I get one. I don't know if it's a bit pointless now going through all of that when I know that, even if I get an offer, I more than probably won't accept it. For context, I think I want to do my masters at Oxford now rather than a BA.

    I just really want to firm the offer I've got and get started on preparing for it! But am I being stupid wanting to withdraw all my other offers due to this excitable haze, should I just wait until they gradually all come through before accepting?

    PS. My course is a competitive one, so it could take a long time for them all to get back to me and I'm paranoid I'll be missing out on getting my first choice accommodation and starting the reading list etc.
    The number of times students make early decisions and later regret them is not insignificant.

    There is no rush and, as others have mentioned, completing the cycle in full can be a helpful and informative process anyway.

    And don't be lulled by the "unconditional" - it's a marketing strategy by the university to benefit them not you.

    Edit: if it's Birmingham you can't even apply for accomodation yet and is guaranteed by 31st May 2018 anyway. https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/study/a...ly-Online.aspx
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    Thank you

    I'm sure I will feel the same - it was the university I went to and just went WOW, fully expecting I would have to work so hard to ensure I get the AAA conditional offer. The fact it is unconditional is just an insane bonus, and I feel so flattered that they'd even offer me that! (I'm obviously still going to work really hard on my A-Levels, it's just lovely that the pressure is off a bit)

    I'll leave it a while, and try to calm down!
    Yes leave it a while, accommodation won't open until summer for most universities so you don't need to worry about that yet.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    Don't rush into anything. You have until May next year to decide whats right for you. I think 99% of people would accept an Oxford offer (probably also 99% of people couldn't get one), and if you're in the 1% that wouldn't that's fair enough. But I'd wait until you hear from all 5 choices and then assess, and if you still feel the same way then good for you.
    True. It's always been between Oxford and this uni. Oxford is the most gorgeous place, probably the best teaching and the name to go with it. However, in comparison the course is dull and not very flexible and I sometimes worry I wouldn't cope with the stress. It's come down to choosing between whether the course or the institution is the most important thing, and I think my enjoyment of what I'm learning is paramount.

    For reference, I have this unconditional from Uni of Nottingham which only falls two below Oxford in the league table for my subject.

    It's really difficult, but I do think I'd choose Notts knowing that I could do a masters at Oxford in the future once I knew what I wanted to specialise in so I wouldn't have to fret about the course.
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    Did you go to any interviews?
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    The number of times students make early decisions and later regret them is not insignificant.

    There is no rush and, as others have mentioned, completing the cycle in full can be a helpful and informative process anyway.

    And don't be lulled by the "unconditional" - it's a marketing strategy by the university to benefit them not you.

    Edit: if it's Birmingham you can't even apply for accomodation yet and is guaranteed by 31st May 2018 anyway. https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/study/a...ly-Online.aspx
    It's not the unconditional that's grabbed me, I didn't even know the university gave unconditionals! It's Uni of Nottingham btw. Obviously, it's great to have it but it's always been my favourite course of all the places I've applied to. It's really between Nottingham and Oxford, but the course at Oxford doesn't enthuse me - more how beautiful the place is and the name behind the degree.

    They both have the same entry requirements, so if I did get an offer from Oxford I'd have to choose between them - and I came to the conclusion that I'd still pick Notts.

    I won't rush, I really needed these level headed answers because I'm just a human bubble of excitement right now.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragon5555)
    Did you go to any interviews?
    Nope.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    I won't rush, I really needed these level headed answers because I'm just a human bubble of excitement right now.
    It's understandable, and congratulations

    Nottingham's accomodation guarantee deadline is August 2018
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    Yeah do it
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    I've also applied for Nottingham; out of interest, when did you submit your application and to what course are you applying? I haven't heard anything yet, but in all fairness my college only got round to submitting the application a couple of days ago.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DystopiaisReal)
    I've also applied for Nottingham; out of interest, when did you submit your application and to what course are you applying? I haven't heard anything yet, but in all fairness my college only got round to submitting the application a couple of days ago.
    Hiya,

    Submitted it 10th October & got my offer on the 13th. It's for English Q300.

    Good luck
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

    All the essentials

    The adventure begins mug

    Student life: what to expect

    What it's really like going to uni

    Graduates celebrate

    How to write a good personal statement

    Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

    Uni match

    Uni match

    Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

    Two students working together

    A-Z of universities

    Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

    A student working on a computer

    Personal statement help

    Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A student looking down a microscope

    Planning open days

    Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

    Help out other students

    These questions still need an answer

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.