Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you have this condition: Aphantasia (the inability to conjure mental imagery)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Most people can readily conjure images inside their head - known as their mind's eye.
    But this year scientists have described a condition, aphantasia, in which some people are unable to visualise mental images.

Niel Kenmuir, from Lancaster, has always had a blind mind's eye.
    He knew he was different even in childhood. "My stepfather, when I couldn't sleep, told me to count sheep, and he explained what he meant,
    I tried to do it and I couldn't," he says.
    "I couldn't see any sheep jumping over fences, there was nothing to count."

Our memories are often tied up in images, think back to a wedding or first day at school.
    As a result, Niel admits, some aspects of his memory are "terrible", but he is very good at remembering facts.

And, like others with aphantasia, he struggles to recognise faces.

Yet he does not see aphantasia as a disability, but simply a different way of experiencing life.

Take this test and post what you got: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34039054

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    Bit quick to bump but I've taken the test and got 21/40, I can't visualise people for the life of me tbh they always turn out wrong in some way (usually in height/proportions).
    The sky was a lot easier to draw back on previous memories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0xFFFFail)
    Bit quick to bump but I've taken the test and got 21/40, I can't visualise people for the life of me tbh they always turn out wrong in some way (usually in height/proportions).
    The sky was a lot easier to draw back on previous memories.
    LOL yeah, bumped a bit too quick but your score is interesting nonetheless

ReputationRep:
    I got 26/40...I find it difficult to conjure up some people's faces. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Well I got 12/40! You mean people can actually see an image of something by thinking about it. I though that it was all just an expression.
    If you close your eyes can you actually “see” a colour picture of something.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snoozinghamster)
    Well I got 12/40! You mean people can actually see an image of something by thinking about it. I though that it was all just an expression.
    Haha don't worry, we're on the same boat, a lot of people when they imagine, could see vivid images whether their eyes are shut or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 31shotscrazy)
    Haha don't worry, we're on the same boat, a lot of people when they imagine, could see vivid images weather their eyes are shut or not.
    That’s weird to think about I can’t imagine that. Is that the same when dreaming to peoe actually see things. I find dream are more like reading a book being descriptive not like a film.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Does this mean that they don't dream?

Edit: The cruel irony

Attachment 695924

Edit 2: Ironyception. Image won't display on TSR either :rofl:

ReputationRep:
      28/40. I can imagine objects and scenes, real or fantastic, but I'm bad with recalling people and their features.

ReputationRep:
      I dont see anything, I remember and describe it

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Snoozinghamster)
      Same

I thought it was metaphorically speaking...

ReputationRep:
      35/40: I can co-ordinate outfits mentally through visualisation.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      8/40 i.e can't see anything. I've always found this and it's very annoying.

ReputationRep:
      This thread is very interesting and reassuring as I know that I'm not the only one with this and that there are others on the same boat.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
      Does this mean that they don't dream?

Edit: The cruel irony

Attachment 695924

Edit 2: Ironyception. Image won't display on TSR either :rofl:
      Most of us do dream actually, vividness varies though.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 31shotscrazy)
      This thread is very interesting and reassuring as I know that I'm not the only one with this and that there are others on the same boat.
      I didn't know it had a proper name until now.
      I dream in pictures, but then when i try and remember them when i wake up or when i'm trying to carry on a dream when i am dozing, i can't.
      I remember details about people - their hair colour or what hairstyle they had last, but i can't picture them - the same with sunsets for example. I can tell you that there was a pretty sunset with the colours blue, purple and pink, but i can't see it.
      That's why I take so many photos. So i can still 'see' those images when my brain doesn't form them.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by laurawatt)
      I didn't know it had a proper name until now.
      I dream in pictures, but then when i try and remember them when i wake up or when i'm trying to carry on a dream when i am dozing, i can't.
      I remember details about people - their hair colour or what hairstyle they had last, but i can't picture them - the same with sunsets for example. I can tell you that there was a pretty sunset with the colours blue, purple and pink, but i can't see it.
      That's why I take so many photos. So i can still 'see' those images when my brain doesn't form them.
      Haha same here, I dream in pictures but I can't really form or see images - I just know facts about them.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 15, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.