The Student Room Group

Do you have this condition: Aphantasia (the inability to conjure mental imagery)?

Most people can readily conjure images inside their head - known as their mind's eye.
But this year scientists have described a condition, aphantasia, in which some people are unable to visualise mental images.

Niel Kenmuir, from Lancaster, has always had a blind mind's eye.
He knew he was different even in childhood. "My stepfather, when I couldn't sleep, told me to count sheep, and he explained what he meant,
I tried to do it and I couldn't," he says.
"I couldn't see any sheep jumping over fences, there was nothing to count."

Our memories are often tied up in images, think back to a wedding or first day at school.
As a result, Niel admits, some aspects of his memory are "terrible", but he is very good at remembering facts.

And, like others with aphantasia, he struggles to recognise faces.

Yet he does not see aphantasia as a disability, but simply a different way of experiencing life.

Take this test and post what you got: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34039054
(edited 6 years ago)
BUMP
Bit quick to bump but I've taken the test and got 21/40, I can't visualise people for the life of me tbh they always turn out wrong in some way (usually in height/proportions).
The sky was a lot easier to draw back on previous memories.
Original post by 0xFFFFail
Bit quick to bump but I've taken the test and got 21/40, I can't visualise people for the life of me tbh they always turn out wrong in some way (usually in height/proportions).
The sky was a lot easier to draw back on previous memories.

LOL yeah, bumped a bit too quick but your score is interesting nonetheless :smile:
Reply 4
I got 26/40...I find it difficult to conjure up some people's faces. :dontknow:
Well I got 12/40! You mean people can actually see an image of something by thinking about it. I though that it was all just an expression.
If you close your eyes can you actually “see” a colour picture of something.
Original post by Snoozinghamster
Well I got 12/40! You mean people can actually see an image of something by thinking about it. I though that it was all just an expression.

Haha don't worry, we're on the same boat, a lot of people when they imagine, could see vivid images whether their eyes are shut or not.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 31shotscrazy
Haha don't worry, we're on the same boat, a lot of people when they imagine, could see vivid images weather their eyes are shut or not.

That’s weird to think about I can’t imagine that. Is that the same when dreaming to peoe actually see things. I find dream are more like reading a book being descriptive not like a film.
Reply 8
28/40. I can imagine objects and scenes, real or fantastic, but I'm bad with recalling people and their features.
I dont see anything, I remember and describe it
Original post by Snoozinghamster

Same

I thought it was metaphorically speaking...
35/40: I can co-ordinate outfits mentally through visualisation.
8/40 i.e can't see anything. I've always found this and it's very annoying.
This thread is very interesting and reassuring as I know that I'm not the only one with this and that there are others on the same boat.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Does this mean that they don't dream?

Edit: The cruel irony

Attachment not found

Edit 2: Ironyception. Image won't display on TSR either :rofl:

Most of us do dream actually, vividness varies though.
Original post by 31shotscrazy
This thread is very interesting and reassuring as I know that I'm not the only one with this and that there are others on the same boat.

I didn't know it had a proper name until now. :smile:
I dream in pictures, but then when i try and remember them when i wake up or when i'm trying to carry on a dream when i am dozing, i can't.
I remember details about people - their hair colour or what hairstyle they had last, but i can't picture them - the same with sunsets for example. I can tell you that there was a pretty sunset with the colours blue, purple and pink, but i can't see it.
That's why I take so many photos. So i can still 'see' those images when my brain doesn't form them.
Original post by laurawatt
I didn't know it had a proper name until now. :smile:
I dream in pictures, but then when i try and remember them when i wake up or when i'm trying to carry on a dream when i am dozing, i can't.
I remember details about people - their hair colour or what hairstyle they had last, but i can't picture them - the same with sunsets for example. I can tell you that there was a pretty sunset with the colours blue, purple and pink, but i can't see it.
That's why I take so many photos. So i can still 'see' those images when my brain doesn't form them.

Haha same here, I dream in pictures but I can't really form or see images - I just know facts about them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending