English lang-9
    R.e- A*
    Biology- A
    Chemistry- A
    Physics- A
    geography- B
    Drama-B
    French- C

I want to apply to Oxford for PPE. I currently study Politics, economics, English literature and maths at A level.But I am worried that my GCSE grades will dampen my chances of success. My secondary school was a *****y state school with.a 'needs improvement' ofsted rating, what are my chances?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but that said, GCSEs are a tiny part of your application. Worry about your A-levels (or equivalent), forget about GCSEs now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Mathematician-)
    Yes, but that said, GCSEs are a tiny part of your application. Worry about your A-levels (or equivalent), forget about GCSEs now.
    At Oxford, GCSEs form one of two major factors Oxford consider when shortlisting applicants for interview. That and the entrance test.

ReputationRep:
    Your grades are good but they're below average for PPE offer holders at Oxford. If you want to get into Oxford you'll have to do well on the entrance exam, the TSA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoldThisL)
    Your grades are good but they're below average for PPE offer holders at Oxford. If you want to get into Oxford you'll have to do well on the entrance exam, the TSA.
    Would they look at my secondary school's performance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauryngreeng)
    Would they look at my secondary school's performance?
    Yes they have what's called a contextual score. If you get good grades in a bad school this is positive. Although I'm not exactly sure how it's used.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.