Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    The landlady is absolutely lovely.

    Her father passed away, this was his old house and now she is letting out the rooms of the property for a very reasonable price.

    She told me she was going to put it on the market, but if she gets tenants she will take it off. She has told me she is not a professional landlady and may come up to live in one of the rooms herself from time to time.

    She asked me how long I'd like the contract for, and I said 6 months to begin with...

    But what slightly concerns me is that in the contract she has written:

    "The Tenant acknowledges that this tenancy is not an assured or an assured short hold tenancy by reason of being a tenancy granted by a resident landlord".

    Yet on the Citizens Advice Bureau website it states that:

    "All tenancies (rented from a private landlord) that started from 28 February 1997 will automatically be assured shorthold tenancies (ASTs), even if there is no written tenancy agreement."

    It also states:

    "The term of the tenancy is a periodic tenancy and continuing on a month-to-month basis until the Landlord or the Tenant terminates the tenancy".

    This is also slightly concerning, considering I'd ask for 6 months initially.

    Should I be concerned for my security?

    How should I go about breaching this with the landlady?

    She is really nice.. but I obviously don't want to sign something and end up homeless.


    The rules are different for resident landlords. The CAB advice refers to renting a property that you have exclusive use of.


    Sounds like it'll be an Excluded Occupier Agreement. She could cancel it in a month, and technically, they can give you a day's notice if they REALLY want to. I had one similar, was kicked out in 2 months, and was given a weeks notice to move out. Became homeless for four months.

    I would look for anywhere else if you can. And always sign a contract that gives you at least 6 months or 12 months, otherwise you have somewhere to go if they decide to kick you out on a whim.
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.