Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Calcium oxide is made by the thermal decomposition of calcium carbonate

CaCO3 ---> CaO + CO2

a) Calculate the theoretical yield of calcium oxide that can be made from 15g of calcium carbonate, CaCO3.

b) The actual yield of calcium oxide is 7.2g. Calculate the percentage yield of calcium oxide.

Like last time, I have got an answer but still don't know if it is right!? My answer is in the spoiler. Thanks!!

Spoiler:
    Show

a) 8.4g
    b) 85.7%

ReputationRep:
    a, Theoretical yield is found by working out the moles of the original reactants (in this case CaCO3) and then multiplying this by the formula mass of the product you want to make. (15/100 = 0.15 mol. 0.15 * 56 = 8.4g)

b, The percentage yield is found by dividing actual yield by theoretical yield. (7.2/8.4 = 85.7%)

So yep, you're correct!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fliscia)
    a, Theoretical yield is found by working out the moles of the original reactants (in this case CaCO3) and then multiplying this by the formula mass of the product you want to make. (15/100 = 0.15 mol. 0.15 * 56 = 8.4g)

b, The percentage yield is found by dividing actual yield by theoretical yield. (7.2/8.4 = 85.7%)

So yep, you're correct!
    WOW!! Thank you very much!!!! I can finally work out theoretical yield and percentage yield thank you!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReadilySalted)
    WOW!! Thank you very much!!!! I can finally work out theoretical yield and percentage yield thank you!!!!
    Glad to have helped!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.