Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gender Neutral bathrooms in UK universities Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
    My Uni is really regressive, I think our LGBTQIA+ equivalent society only has four characters in it.

I have never seen a gender neutral bathroom here.
    Monsterous.

ReputationRep:
    Think my university's union has two sets of gendered toilets, plus one set of gender neutral ones. Same for the gym. The older buildings tend to just have gendered toilets though.

There's a restaurant near me that has a really bizarre way of doing it though. There's a common washroom for everyone, with sinks, hand driers, etc, and fully walled cubicle toilets all the way along both walls. But for some reason that I can't fathom, some are labelled as men's and some as women's - I really can't see what purpose this serves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picklesbunny)
    Hi, im doing a little research on which universities aprovide the best gender neutral (GN) toilets across their campuses.

My uni's LGBTQIA+ Society is currently campaigning for genter neutral toilets in the SU and rest of campus and would love to have some examples of other unis to show the officials.

I would love to know what uni your at, roughly how many gender neutral bathrooms the uni has (especially the student union). If the gender neutral bathrooms are converted disabled toilets, newly built, single stall/whole bathroms.

Really just any info you have.

Thanks in advance!!!
    Why what is wrong with the current toilets? That sounds like too much equality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    gender neutral toilets.... dear god...

Casually feel like linking research related to frequency of UTIs in the trans population but it may be out of reach of the collective ignorance of the thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    Guess you don't use the bathroom in your house, unsurprising as you're full of ****
    I'm always astonished at how many people think gender-neutral toilets are just some weird novelty thing for trans people, without really thinking through all the other situations where they exist or are useful.

For example, they're quite useful for parents of small children as well. If you're a father out in public alone with your barely potty-trained 2-year-old daughter, and she tells you she needs the toilet, what do you do? You can't confidently send her into the women's toilets alone, and you obviously can't go in with her. You could take her into the men's with you, but that's far from ideal, and anyway raises all the same problems of little girls being in the same toilets as adult men that supposedly is the problem with gender neutral toilets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    I'm always astonished at how many people think gender-neutral toilets are just some weird novelty thing for trans people, without really thinking through all the other situations where they exist or are useful.

For example, they're quite useful for parents of small children as well. If you're a father out in public alone with your barely potty-trained 2-year-old daughter, and she tells you she needs the toilet, what do you do? You can't confidently send her into the women's toilets alone, and you obviously can't go in with her. You could take her into the men's with you, but that's far from ideal, and anyway raises all the same problems of little girls being in the same toilets as adult men that supposedly is the problem with gender neutral toilets.
    ^^ Absolutely. They make more sense and are more practical for situations like that. This also includes spaces where space is limited - making it impractical to have two sets of bathrooms, like airplanes and trains. If we include bathrooms in houses/apartments, family bathrooms, disabled bathrooms (which are often gender neutral) as well as bathrooms in airplanes and trains, chances are gender neutral bathrooms are much less of a novelty than some people might think.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Keele University, and there are gender neutral toilets in Chancellor's Building which is where reception and the refectory are. I expect other buildings have them too, though I haven't seen any in the teaching buildings that I'm based in

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.