Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Show the structures and reaction condition.

1) Starting molecule: Butanal
    Target Molecule : But - 1 -ene

ReputationRep:
    Two steps needed.

What are they?

(BTW, you don't need the spaces next to the hyphens)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Two steps needed.

What are they?

(BTW, you don't need the spaces next to the hyphens)
    The Starting molecule is butanal and the target molecule is but-1-ene.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I am not going to just do it for you. I will happily help you to do it, but I will not just tell you the answer.

How about this for a start point? Can you list all the other reactions that you have been taught of aldehydes? (if you don't want to, you don't have to type them here) Then think about all of the reactions that you have been taught for each of the possible products of the various first steps you have considered.

The other way of thinking about it might be to work backwards. What reactions do you know of that can create an alkene? Then think of how you could get from the aldehyde to those chemicals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    I am not going to just do it for you. I will happily help you to do it, but I will not just tell you the answer.

How about this for a start point? Can you list all the other reactions that you have been taught of aldehydes? (if you don't want to, you don't have to type them here) Then think about all of the reactions that you have been taught for each of the possible products of the various first steps you have considered.

The other way of thinking about it might be to work backwards. What reactions do you know of that can create an alkene? Then think of how you could get from the aldehyde to those chemicals.
    Ok, thank you. I'll think of the reactions first.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 15, 2017
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.