Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My teacher called me an ungrateful immigrant. What should I do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It is final weeks of applying to university and I am still making changes in my Personal Statement. I was talking to my teacher about my conclusion about how I wish in the future to contribute to the Portuguese economy and he basically said you're getting a degree here, you should work and pay taxes here. If you don't your and ungrateful selfish immigrant. Is he right? Should i not put that in my statement? What should i do?>

ReputationRep:
    Report it, and see if you can get another teacher to help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremiasc13)
    It is final weeks of applying to university and I am still making changes in my Personal Statement. I was talking to my teacher about my conclusion about how I wish in the future to contribute to the Portuguese economy and he basically said you're getting a degree here, you should work and pay taxes here. If you don't your and ungrateful selfish immigrant. Is he right? Should i not put that in my statement? What should i do?>
    You're going to partially f*** up his career..

I say DO it.

ReputationRep:
    Well he's got a point your coming here using our resources then getting the first flight home when you have got what you want, the least you could do is give back to the country that gave you so much.Very selfish and ungrateful in my opinion.
    You should learn the meaning of gratitude.

ReputationRep:
    Well, now that's just darn rotten! I'd definitely report it, and produce a Personal Statement YOU are happy with, and ask for advice from some of the other teachers.
    Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VCBCCVBN)
    Well he's got a point your coming here using our resources then getting the first flight home when you have got what you want, the least you could do is give back to the country that gave you so much.Very selfish and ungrateful in my opinion.
    Very selfish and ungrateful? He gives back by paying the uni fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VCBCCVBN)
    I will be paying 9k a year. Am I not giving enough?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I will be paying 9k a year. Am I not giving enough?
    well technically us brits TOO pay 9K. Ideally you should be paying international student rates which are double/triple to home student fees. Unfortunately you and your EU buddies have got the EU privilege to get everything the same as us using loopholes.

Your teacher has a point but i do admit it was not a wise way to express it. If you dont want to stay here and pay taxes then you dont really deserve to get the subsidised rates of tuition fees that we get ( even if they are quite high)

ReputationRep:
    It's not really something that you should put in your personal statement, unless it's relevant to the course. But deffo report what he said to someone (if you have the guts to do so, I wouldn't 😅)

ReputationRep:
    I would report the teacher immediately.
    His job is to keep his personal views to himself and support you in making the best application that you can.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely tell someone above his position. Do NOT put this in your personal statement. Uni's do not like the 'take pity on me card' (if this was what he was trying to get at). I would 100% report it to your headmaster or even better still get a parent to call in and complain (they might take it more seriously) best of luck in your UCAS application and if you're stuck theres always example PS online!

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of the inappropriate comment from the teacher, that sentence should not be in your PS at all.

ReputationRep:
    Report that teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Regardless of the inappropriate comment from the teacher, that sentence should not be in your PS at all.
    Nnonononono when i said should i add this to my ps i was talking about the fact that i want to contribute to portuguese's economy not the teacher situation

ReputationRep:
    It is completely inappropriate for a teacher to say that. There are rules, laws and regulations that teachers must adhere to and anti-racist practice falls under those laws. Please report this incident to your head of year or your headteacher.

ReputationRep:
    Don't mention it in your personal statement but report that *******.

ReputationRep:
    Do what you want with your life.

If you put it in the statement, people who share your teacher's opinion will see it negatively. However, UK unis are open to internationals, so I don't think admission people will have negative views about educating students who will eventually go back and contribute to the rest of the world (their country of origin).

Don't report him. He only expressed an opinion with a conditional (he didn't call you an ungrateful immigrant and didn't mean to insult, he said that in his opinion if you go back to your country you'll be ungrateful towards the UK). No need to make much ado about it.

ReputationRep:
    Report him as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    lol he called you an immigrant
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Why would you mention anything the Portuguese economy in your PS?

What he said was inappropriate, but honestly I wouldn't bother reporting it. I would worry that reporting would backfire on me in some way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.