Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so i’m in y11 and i really have no clue what to pick for a levels and i have an open evening for choices in two days but i can only choose four subjects to visit

side note: i haven’t completed my gcse’s yet but so far my predicted grades have been around 7/8/9s across all my subjects (i’m taking bio, chem, phys, maths, english lit/lang, geography, art, drama, Spanish) but i still don’t know what to pick —

i enjoy physics and i’m thinking of taking psychology but that’s basically it so far, i don’t have the time or patience for the arts anymore and i’m not considering anything like sports studies/ business/ etc. so i’m mainly into acadamia but i don’t know how hard it’ll be

(sorry this was so long it’s all i’ve thought about for two weeks now hhhhhh)

ReputationRep:
    Do what you'll think you will enjoy or what you can see yourself doing in the future

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    Don't worry about your situation... Everyone goes through that stage. When it comes to deciding and you cannot choose, then pick the subjects you honestly feel you will do well in at a higher grade. I made the mistake of guessing what I might enjoy and so chose subjects that I was weaker in. A levels are a big big jump and the less pressure you have, the more easily you can improve. Hope this helps a little bit!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anakarinas)
    so i’m in y11 and i really have no clue what to pick for a levels and i have an open evening for choices in two days but i can only choose four subjects to visit

side note: i haven’t completed my gcse’s yet but so far my predicted grades have been around 7/8/9s across all my subjects (i’m taking bio, chem, phys, maths, english lit/lang, geography, art, drama, Spanish) but i still don’t know what to pick —

i enjoy physics and i’m thinking of taking psychology but that’s basically it so far, i don’t have the time or patience for the arts anymore and i’m not considering anything like sports studies/ business/ etc. so i’m mainly into acadamia but i don’t know how hard it’ll be

Try to think about which subjects you enjoy most and like studying for. If you enjoy physics, you could take that but it would be highly advisable to take maths as well. Psychology is also a good choice and by taking it with maths and physics, you'd be leaving a lot of doors open for psychology degrees if that's what you decide to study at university. Honestly, with your predicted grades I wouldn't worry too much about the difficulty of academic subjects. No A levels are easy but working at grades 7,8 and 9 will put you in a good position.

Do you have any idea what you might like to do as a career?

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing physics, then it's worth doing maths, and potentially even further maths if you're good at it.

Economics or chemistry are also subjects that go quite well with physics.

ReputationRep:

Don’t worry about your options in Year 11 too much. My first choices were Psychology, Law & Physics and now I’m doing History, Geography & Physics

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing physics I'd definitely recommend looking at maths - I don't think I'd have managed too well without it! There are a lot of transferable skills between them, especially if you do any mechanics in the maths A level.

ReputationRep:
    It really doesn't matter if you feel as if though you have picked unsuitable A Levels; you'll have numerous opportunities to change the A Levels you wish to study!

I changed mine 2 weeks into the year and I'm so glad I did; I'm now studying Psychology, English Literature and Geography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    If you're doing physics, then it's worth doing maths, and potentially even further maths if you're good at it.

thank you!!
    i’m taking further maths at gcses if that helps and i’m considefing taking it for a levels now that you’ve mentioned it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzziebee)
    Hi!
    Don't worry about your situation... Everyone goes through that stage. When it comes to deciding and you cannot choose, then pick the subjects you honestly feel you will do well in at a higher grade. I made the mistake of guessing what I might enjoy and so chose subjects that I was weaker in. A levels are a big big jump and the less pressure you have, the more easily you can improve. Hope this helps a little bit!
    thank you so so much!! this has really cleared my mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecila21)
    Try to think about which subjects you enjoy most and like studying for. If you enjoy physics, you could take that but it would be highly advisable to take maths as well. Psychology is also a good choice and by taking it with maths and physics, you'd be leaving a lot of doors open for psychology degrees if that's what you decide to study at university. Honestly, with your predicted grades I wouldn't worry too much about the difficulty of academic subjects. No A levels are easy but working at grades 7,8 and 9 will put you in a good position.

Do you have any idea what you might like to do as a career?
    thank you for the advice also i honestly have no clue what i want to do, not knowing what i want to do is probably my biggest fear at this point like i don’t know where any of this will take me and it’s a bit stressful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)

thank you i’m considering taking chemistry but i’m not sure if i still like it or if it’ll be too overwhelming at a higher level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaraStudying)
    If you're doing physics I'd definitely recommend looking at maths - I don't think I'd have managed too well without it! There are a lot of transferable skills between them, especially if you do any mechanics in the maths A level.
    how did you find physics at a level? was it what you expected or did it feel like a massive jump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haider_A)
    It really doesn't matter if you feel as if though you have picked unsuitable A Levels; you'll have numerous opportunities to change the A Levels you wish to study!

I changed mine 2 weeks into the year and I'm so glad I did; I'm now studying Psychology, English Literature and Geography.
    is psychology any good?

ReputationRep:
    is psychology any good?

I'm really enjoying it; it depends on the teachers method of teaching and the exam board, as some of the content can be quite boring but it's very interesting on the whole

ReputationRep:
    how did you find physics at a level? was it what you expected or did it feel like a massive jump
    The beginning wasn't too much of a jump, I feel like it's quite gradual, but of course it depends which topics your school/college teaches first. We started with electricity with one teacher and forces with the other, so it wasn't too different to GCSE content. However, I am applying for physics now, so maybe my opinion is slightly biased

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.