Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it hard to get an A/A* in A Level Computer Science? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Should I choose Computer Science in A Level if I aim to obtain straight A? Sure, I take Computer Science because I enjoy it but I afraid that it will ruin my result as this subject is unpopular option for A Level and most people said it is hard to get A/A*. What is your opinion? Can you share your grade for Computer Science?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph 109)
    Should I choose Computer Science in A Level if I aim to obtain straight A? Sure, I take Computer Science because I enjoy it but I afraid that it will ruin my result as this subject is unpopular option for A Level and most people said it is hard to get A/A*. What is your opinion? Can you share your grade for Computer Science?
    It seemed easy for me, though I had done a lot of programming before and liked the rest of the course. I came in the top 50 in the country.

ReputationRep:
    Does it need a lot of memorisation as I prefer logic thinking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3LLI5)
    It seemed easy for me, though I had done a lot of programming before and liked the rest of the course. I came in the top 50 in the country.
    Have you got any tips? I'm doing AS computer science and I'm struggling a a little bit, also the fact that I'm the only girl in the whole college taking computer science is a quite sad

ReputationRep:
    You will probably find it easier to stay motivated if you enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    Does it need a lot of memorisation as I prefer logic thinking?
    Not really, as long as you understand everything you can generally just work out what you were supposed to memorise anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laraelbeezra)
    Have you got any tips? I'm doing AS computer science and I'm struggling a a little bit, also the fact that I'm the only girl in the whole college taking computer science is a quite sad
    Read through the actual syllabus document when revising is the biggest tip, they’re basically free revision notes written by the examiners. What are you struggling with particularly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3LLI5)
    Read through the actual syllabus document when revising is the biggest tip, they’re basically free revision notes written by the examiners. What are you struggling with particularly?
    mostly because the teacher is explaining things based on gcse computing which i didn't do, so I really don't have the bases for what she's teaching. Also I don't find anywhere what she explains, not even on the book. And the thing that's putting me off is that she's doing random test about things we didn't do and then say "I don't care if we didn't go through them, just try" and then she puts a grade and records it everywhere, which honestly puts me off a lot

ReputationRep:
    mostly because the teacher is explaining things based on gcse computing which i didn't do, so I really don't have the bases for what she's teaching. Also I don't find anywhere what she explains, not even on the book. And the thing that's putting me off is that she's doing random test about things we didn't do and then say "I don't care if we didn't go through them, just try" and then she puts a grade and records it everywhere, which honestly puts me off a lot
    I guess just try and do some independent learning using the syllabus and book. She seems like a bad teacher but luckily computing is a very easy course to teach yourself.

ReputationRep:
    What exam board? I'm doing OCR A level computer science

ReputationRep:
    It's easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EpicMan)
    What exam board? I'm doing OCR A level computer science
    OCR, same as you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.