The Student Room Group

Brexit made me become Irish

I was born and grew up in southern England. I used the so-called 'granny rule' to become an Irish citizen after the UK voted to leave the EU. Best £300 I ever spent.

I'm so relieved that I will retain my right to travel and work freely across Europe no matter what. Plus, it means I can keep studying at EEA universities and not have to pay international fees. I'm available for wedding proposals if you want to marry a paddy and get an EU passport. :smug::lep:

How are you preparing for Brexit? Are you a dual citizen?

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

where is your sense of patriotism???
Reply 2
Knee-jerk response to Brexit
Reply 3
Maith go leor!
Original post by Snufkin
x

My Bulgarian citizenship came in super useful, now I've got a secured job there on my gap year :woo:
Congratulations!
Original post by w8d72
Knee-jerk response to Brexit

Original post by bulgylau
My Bulgarian citizenship came in super useful, now I've got a secured job there on my gap year :woo:

:teehee: Do you speak Bulgarian?
Reply 8
Comhghairdeas, mo chara; cead míle fáilte romhat. maith liom béarla, ach is fearr liom gaeilge!

Translation: Congrats, my friend : one hundred thousand welcomes, I dont like english (the language), but I love irish!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
:teehee: Do you speak Bulgarian?

emi da razbireseh
:teehee:

Spoiler

Original post by Doonesbury
Maith go leor!

I had to look that up... just good enough?! :colonhash:
Reply 11
Original post by Snufkin

Right enough!

Similar to "congrats!"

(Well that was my intention, but as a non-native speaker it's probably wrong... @Airmed)
Reply 12
Original post by Snufkin

Right enough!

Similar to "congrats!"

(Well that was my intention, but as a non-native speaker it's probably wrong... @Airmed)

for congratulations, it is comhghaideas, but maith go leor is also acceptable as slang. :h:
Reply 13
I wave my Irish passport in front of all my friends and fellow mods to remind them that I will have and will have not EU citizenship when the UK leaves the EU. :lol:
Reply 14
I was going for slang, cause I'm so Irish streeeeet....

(or narrow country laaaaaaane)

:wink:
Reply 15
Original post by Airmed
I wave my Irish passport in front of all my friends and fellow mods to remind them that I will have and will have not EU citizenship when the UK leaves the EU. :lol:

Have both, the pluses of NornIron.
Reply 16
Have both, the pluses of NornIron.

The internet calls us Schrodinger Catholics. :mmm: Though it shouldn't be that lol
Original post by Snufkin
I was born and grew up in southern England. I used the so-called 'granny rule' to become an Irish citizen after the UK voted to leave the EU. Best £300 I ever spent.

I'm so relieved that I will retain my right to travel and work freely across Europe no matter what. Plus, it means I can keep studying at EEA universities and not have to pay international fees. I'm available for wedding proposals if you want to marry a paddy and get an EU passport. :smug::lep:

How are you preparing for Brexit? Are you a dual citizen?

Well done. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I don't have any Irish or Euro family to do this.

Guess I'll have to move to EU after my degree and marry a hot EU babe.
My grandad is Irish and I really wanted to apply for Irish citizenship. The issue is that he is 85 and now has pretty bad dementia, he also no longer has a passport and he lost his birth certificate years ago.

Is there anyway around this?
Reply 19
Original post by SCIENCE :D
My grandad is Irish and I really wanted to apply for Irish citizenship. The issue is that he is 85 and now has pretty bad dementia, he also no longer has a passport and he lost his birth certificate years ago.

Is there anyway around this?

It would be very costly, but yes. You can get a replacement birth certificate

Quick Reply

Latest