Turn on thread page Beta

whats worse, a break up or unrequited love? watch

• View Poll Results: Break up or unrequited love?
    unrequited love
    28.40%
    break up
    71.60%

ReputationRep:
    what do you think?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Depends on what caused the break up.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say a break up

Unrequited love can hurt very much but to me, its more a case of 'what you never had, you never miss'. With a break up though, you've had a taste of what a relationship could be like both in the good and bad senses and if the break up was due to things such as cheating, abuse etc then that can leave an even bigger impact on you, let alone hurt even more.

ReputationRep:
    I think a break up is worse it was a long term relationship. The time you spent together you were happy, you shared a connection and made some great memories. The fact that one day this has come to an end would be devastating, especially if it wasn't your decision.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    unrequited love...

Fox Corner

ReputationRep:
    Depends if the breakup was due to something like cheating or more "peaceful" matters.
    Mind if I ask for some backround context, like was/is the other person cheating, or do you not love them but they love you or vice versa? Have you talked about it?

ReputationRep:
    I actually just got out of a relationship with a girl who was asexual and aromantic. I loved her very much but she just wasn't capable of reciprocating (or appreciating) romantic gestures. She hated cuddling and kissing. It was basically a weird platonic friendship where we just held hands and hugged occasionally. The worse thing is I allowed myself to fall head over heels for her so when we broke up it was (and still is) really difficult for me. We were together for a little over 3 months and I still wonder why the hell she let me fall in love with her if she knew a "romantic" relationship wasn't for her. So, to answer the poll, unrequited love. It's extremely painful but now we've broken up I know the pain is only temporary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EthanSpiderboy)
    I actually just got out of a relationship with a girl who was asexual and aromantic. I loved her very much but she just wasn't capable of reciprocating (or appreciating) romantic gestures. She hated cuddling and kissing. It was basically a weird platonic friendship where we just held hands and hugged occasionally. The worse thing is I allowed myself to fall head over heels for her so when we broke up it was (and still is) really difficult for me. We were together for a little over 3 months and I still wonder why the hell she let me fall in love with her if she knew a "romantic" relationship wasn't for her. So, to answer the poll, unrequited love. It's extremely painful but now we've broken up I know the pain is only temporary.
    How does one enter a romantic relationship with someone who is aromantic?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catsarefamily)
    How does one enter a romantic relationship with someone who is aromantic?!
    If I ever figure that out I'll let you know. Seriously though, we were confused 100% of the time.

ReputationRep:
    Both are obviously difficult but I think a break-up is more beneficial in the long-run. I just don't see the point in unrequited relationships because you're only kidding yourself, especially if you choose to carry on dating when you know they don't feel the same. Break-ups start off painful but as you adjust to the fact it's over, you'll eventually move on. At least you're not kidding yourself by putting a stop to it.

ReputationRep:
    seeing as people who get unrequited love are less likely to be have ever had a relationship, they can't really vote on this poll which probably skews the result

ReputationRep:
    Unrequited love sucks more. No good relationship ever ends in a break-up plus loving A$AP Rocky knowing he'll never love me back hurts me in ways I cannot even begin to describe.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2017
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.