Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I thought I did well on the AS tests last year, and was told they would be the deciders for predicted grades for uni, this proved to be untrue. I have predicted A*A*B for chemistry, psychology and biology respectively. This was odd, so I went to ask what I got in biology (as it is my strongest subject) I was told I got 98%. I was confused as to why I received a B, my biology teacher said that she couldn't predict me an A or an A* due to the fact last year's year 13s had drastic underperformance problems. I was quite upset, I wanted to do biochemistry at Oxford, St. Andrews, Imperial, York, or Warwick, all of which requires mostly A/A* grades for the course. This was wrongful, and I argued with her on this, asking to do another paper to prove I can do it, offered to show bookwork, but she refused and was adamant on keeping it a B. I then went to the head, only to be told that they can't make her change her mind. My respect for the system is gone. I don't believe it's fair, and tried to fix it as soon as I could (I did try to get my parents to come in, but they work in the day, so it's difficult)

Now I have no choice but to take a gap year, and apply then, by myself, and have to make a new plan. I may try to get a work placement during that time, or possibly shadow someone (in a pharmacy, or something similar) but it's really disheartening.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What a terrible school, generalising a whole year groups ability. I hope she does realise UCAS predictions and internal school predictions for the government are different. People generally get well over-predicted for UCAS. Personally, I would still apply and then email those universities (although Oxford's deadline has passed), and just tell them you got 98% at AS, they would then simply disregard the prediction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    What a terrible school, generalising a whole year groups ability. I hope she does realise UCAS predictions and internal school predictions for the government are different. People generally get well over-predicted for UCAS. Personally, I would still apply and then email those universities (although Oxford's deadline has passed), and just tell them you got 98% at AS, they would then simply disregard the prediction.
    This way, I could focus on trying to do things that is directly relevant to the course (like work experience/shadowing, as I haven't had the opportunity to before) I never liked the idea of predicted grades, applying before you get the grades feels silly to me, since teachers aren't magicians. But, I believe if this practice goes on, you should have a fair shot after doing the correct tests.

It was really odd because I believed that psychology let me down, I didn't order arguments as well as I could've. Biology and chemistry are my strong points, despite biology being more memorisation than application, chemistry is by far my favourite, and when I was told I was getting an A* prediction (after getting a 95%, losing 7 marks in silly mistakes), I was so excited, it felt like that time I spent on trying to understand the calculations wasn't wasted (I suck at maths) only to realise I was getting it, and wasn't wasting my time.

I will consider that though, I want to seriously consider all of my options, because they seem scarce when you don't have the school offering help. I will attempt to start with it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I had a very similar situation. I got 97% UMS in my AS Geography and was only predicted a B - meaning I couldn't apply for the unis I wanted to. It sucks that you have to a gap year (currently on mine, attained A*AA) but you will honestly be at an advantage when you apply. You will be able to primarily focus on your application, giving you a distinct advantage over other applicants, especially in regard to admissions tests since you will be able to primarily focus on them. It sucks that schools can be so unreasonable but the most coherent and logical thing you can do at the moment is get your head down, work, and laugh in their face when you get the grades on results day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skuka)
    Hey, I had a very similar situation. I got 97% UMS in my AS Geography and was only predicted a B - meaning I couldn't apply for the unis I wanted to. It sucks that you have to a gap year (currently on mine, attained A*AA) but you will honestly be at an advantage when you apply. You will be able to primarily focus on your application, giving you a distinct advantage over other applicants, especially in regard to admissions tests since you will be able to primarily focus on them. It sucks that schools can be so unreasonable but the most coherent and logical thing you can do at the moment is get your head down, work, and laugh in their face when you get the grades on results day.
    It's so odd how this seems to happen on a regular basis, I've never really heard of anything like it before, because teachers are supposed to be supportive, I found it really striking to hear that a teacher doesn't believe you can do something. Proving them wrong was my plan, I want to get the best results, and having set grades seems better than unis hoping you get the right marks. So, there's one less thing to worry about, the point on admission tests, I hadn't even considered how useful it would be to have a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shins)
    It's so odd how this seems to happen on a regular basis, I've never really heard of anything like it before, because teachers are supposed to be supportive, I found it really striking to hear that a teacher doesn't believe you can do something. Proving them wrong was my plan, I want to get the best results, and having set grades seems better than unis hoping you get the right marks. So, there's one less thing to worry about, the point on admission tests, I hadn't even considered how useful it would be to have a gap year.
    I find it absurd as well - surely it is to the school's benefit to support their pupils? My friend's school automatically predicts all Oxbridge applicants 3 A*s...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skuka)
    I find it absurd as well - surely it is to the school's benefit to support their pupils? My friend's school automatically predicts all Oxbridge applicants 3 A*s...
    My school doesn't tend to have Oxbridge applicants, I was the only one this year, and yet, they decide that it doesn't matter what I do, I will end up with a B overall despite trying overly hard, to the point of "sucking up" (asking for practice papers to do during independent study and more work) all of last year

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.