Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I've applied to study Philosophy and Theology at Oxford, and was wondering if anyone has any tips for the philosophy test coming up? They only have one specimen paper and some of the questions look a bit daunting. And because it's only an hour, do we spend equal time on each question or, is one question heavily weighted than the other (there's no marks so it's hard to decipher)?

Thank a lot!!

ReputationRep:
    hey,

I'm also applying to philosophy and theology at Oxford! I'm pretty nervous for the exam, I'm just doing lots of philosophical reading. I think in theory one should spend equal amount of time on both questions, but I've heard that the first question with the philosophical passage is usually trickier to understand so it might take extra time to understand it, but it depends on one's strength and weakness...

What about you, how are you practising?

ReputationRep:
    The MLAT section has some similar test for Philosophy
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Sandra00 heyyy!! I only just saw this!! Yeah I've just been reading around the subject as I can't find any other way to practice. I'm super nervous because the sample paper is quite tricky and I feel like I'll need more than an hour for two essays. But I suppose it's not a test for philosophical knowledge, just critical thinking (which isn't particularly a strength of mine...)

Hopefully all goes well. Good luck for tomorrow!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I did very well. The questions were very weird and I found it difficult to get my teeth into. For passage A, I definitely needed more time because both parts were very interesting to write about. I didn't like passage b at all, they were so broad.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pentakat)
    How did everyone find it? It was prettt terrible on my end - think I missed the point of the comprehension passage entirely. And I spent so long on it I didn't get to finish section B 😭
    Sorry, you are violating discussion rules about the Admissions assessment - please read this:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4934792 - also reporting your post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    Sorry, you are violating discussion rules about the Admissions assessment - please read this:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4934792 - also reporting your post
    I've deleted my post... I didn't realise we weren't allowed to talk about it even in non-specific terms.

I don't believe I told anyone anything they wouldn't already know from doing practise papers though?

Every paper has a comprehension exercise and a section B...
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pentakat)
    I've deleted my post... I didn't realise we weren't allowed to talk about it even in non-specific terms.

I don't believe I told anyone anything they wouldn't already know from doing practise papers though?

Every paper has a comprehension exercise and a section B...
    Non-specific yes, but I read that as possibly specific- I've asked the CT to handle it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aysha_r)
    I don't think I did very well. The questions were very weird and I found it difficult to get my teeth into. For passage A, I definitely needed more time because both parts were very interesting to write about. I didn't like passage b at all, they were so broad.
    For section B, I chose the second question which has multiple of questions. Which question did you choose? I also found section A difficult. I didn’t want to waste time on it so I just skimmed it and wrote what I could. My answers were pretty short; for the whole of section A, my answer was literally just a page long... I am so disappointed in how I performed. I literally thought it was going to be a walk in the park because of how easy the specimen paper was but I guess I got scammed lol. I was also quite nervous and stressed that I wasn’t able to fully think straight and I had to just sit for five minutes to try to relax myself. Hopefully we did enough to get an interview .
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    PhilandTheo hey! Sorry for the late reply. For section B, I chose the last question (stats - I would specify more but I don't think we're allowed to). Yeah same, I opened it and thought "this is going to be a long hour" and I had writers block so that's never a good thing. Yeah, I'm still waiting for the email to see if I get it or not. Good luck to you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.