Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    could someone explain how do i finish this problem? or have i got it all wrong? thank you
    Name:  New_Doc_2017-10-15_1_1.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  25.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smelborp)
    could someone explain how do i finish this problem? or have i got it all wrong? thank you
    Did you mean to put up some working? If so, I can't see it.

ReputationRep:
    Have you been able to do the other parts? They all look quite similar. I would imagine one would use Maclaurin series expansions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pangol)
    Have you been able to do the other parts? They all look quite similar. I would imagine one would use Maclaurin series expansions.
    yes i managed to do the other parts but i guess i'm missing something obvious on this one
    so far i have this,which i'm not sure it's correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    Did you mean to put up some working? If so, I can't see it.
    You may have noticed this already, but you have a sign error in the denominator of that working that you (briefly!) posted.

ReputationRep:
    As a potential hint for the question that isn't crossed off:

(\sqrt{2}+1)^2 = 2 + 2\sqrt{2}+1=3+2\sqrt{2}

ReputationRep:
    You may have noticed this already, but you have a sign error in the denominator of that working that you (briefly!) posted.
    I haven't posted any working here unless I went into some kind of trance and have forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    As a potential hint for the question that isn't crossed off:

(\sqrt{2}+1)^2 = 2 + 2\sqrt{2}+1=3+2\sqrt{2}
    thank you,i did reach that part,but not sure what to do next,i posted a picture in reply to pangol but it's still being approved

ReputationRep:
    thank you,i did reach that part,but not sure what to do next,i posted a picture in reply to pangol but it's still being approved
    The problem in your working wasn't this bit - you got this right - but what happens when you try to subtract it from 3 + 2x. You made a small sign error.

ReputationRep:
    The point of the hint is that L'Hopital's rule will apply, if you want to use it.

ReputationRep:
    The point of the hint is that L'Hopital's rule will apply, if you want to use it.
    i know about l'hopital's rule but i started the book from the beginning and i haven't reached that,so i want to learn how to do it without,and i remember my teacher telling me that when we have roots it's better to do it without the rule..
    just point me out in the right direction people,this is taking me way to much time

ReputationRep:
    i know about l'hopital's rule but i started the book from the beginning and i haven't reached that,so i want to learn how to do it without,and i remember my teacher telling me that when we have roots it's better to do it without the rule..
    just point me out in the right direction people,this is taking me way to much time
    Do you know about rationalising the numerator?

ReputationRep:
    You just need to subtract the 3 + 2 root(2) correctly. It'll be easy then!

ReputationRep:
    You just need to subtract the 3 + 2 root(2) correctly. It'll be easy then!
    so it's 3+2x-(3+2sqrt2) =>3+2x-3-2sqrt2 =>2-2sqrt2?
    then what? what am i not getting here ?

ReputationRep:
    so it's 3+2x-(3+2sqrt2) =>3+2x-3-2sqrt2 =>2-2sqrt2?
    then what? what am i not getting here ?
    2x - 2sqrt2, not 2 - 2sqrt2. Then factorise out 2 from this, and write one of the parts in the denominator as the difference of two squares.

ReputationRep:
    got it,god damn it so much time for this,if i could just see it resolved i'd understand it in a few seconds.
    thank you pangon and atsruser for your help

ReputationRep:
    got it,god damn it so much time for this,if i could just see it resolved i'd understand it in a few seconds.
    Glad you got there. I found this interesting because I'd never seen that method before - I was assuming that you'd have to use the Maclaurin series expansion of root(3 + 2x) and take it from there.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  94.9 KB this is it,pangol.i haven't heard about maclaurin's series actually ;p maybe because i live in another country so it could be the same thing

ReputationRep:
    pangol.i haven't heard about maclaurin's series actually ;p maybe because i live in another country so it could be the same thing
    No it's very different! Perhaps you'll learn about them soon, perhaps not... there is an awful lot of pure maths out there!

ReputationRep:
    What technique did you use for the others? I would have thought this would have worked for most of them. Anyway: well done!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.