Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many references to get a first? Watch

How many references do you use to get a first in a report?

ReputationRep:
    It isn't the number of references that count. It is the quality of your essay. But a rough guide is generally around one reference for every 200-250 words. Make sure you critique your references and add your own opinion into the mix.

Good luck!

(Original post by ByEeek)
    It isn't the number of references that count. It is the quality of your essay. But a rough guide is generally around one reference for every 200-250 words. Make sure you critique your references and add your own opinion into the mix.

Good luck!
    Thanks for your help.

My assignment is 2,000 words. I’ve used 16 references, I’ve used two books market research websites for statistics e.g. Mintel and keynote. I also used ons.

I was asking like references such as how many sources do you use? For example, how many books and articles..

Hopefully, 16 will be enough..

ReputationRep:
    16 should be fine, but academic papers are favoured over websites and newspaper articles generally speaking.

(Original post by ByEeek)
    16 should be fine, but academic papers are favoured over websites and newspaper articles generally speaking.
    My module is based on market research so they want variety of references. I’ve tried to find academic papers and journals, had no luck. So I’ve booked a library appointment to help me out.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Quality, not quantity.

(Original post by UWS)
    Quality, not quantity.
    They gave a list of what references to use, 6 bullet points. So I’m trying to meet each bullet point I’ve met 5 so far
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    They gave a list of what references to use, 6 bullet points. So I’m trying to meet each bullet point I’ve met 5 so far
    Are you talking about the references in your bibliography?

Perhaps you can provide an example of one of the bullet points you have to meet?

(Original post by UWS)

Perhaps you can provide an example of one of the bullet points you have to meet?
    She basically said to use one text book (other than core one), gov statistics, market research (Mintel/keynote), company website and article from business press e.g. BBC.

It is a research assignment to be fair, so further research is key.

(Original post by UWS)

I’m speaking about references generally. The lecturer has given us examples for what to include in our report from certain sources.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I’m speaking about references generally. The lecturer has given us examples for what to include in our report from certain sources.
    She basically said to use one text book (other than core one), gov statistics, market research (Mintel/keynote), company website and article from business press e.g. BBC.

It is a research assignment to be fair, so further research is key.
    Oh okay so you mean sources of information for your research?

Do cover a wide range of things such as case studies (those go into great detail), newspaper articles, books, interviews, etc..

Ask your lecturer for a mark scheme if there is one.

(Original post by UWS)

Do cover a wide range of things such as case studies (those go into great detail), newspaper articles, books, interviews, etc..

Yes, that’s what I mean!

Lecturer said you can use newspaper or BBC articles etc.

I’ve used majority of them, even two extra books for further reading. I’ve met 5 bullet points. However, I’m stuck on one bullet point, so I’ve booked a library appointment.

If I meet 5 and not 6, will this have a dramatic affect on my mark?

(Original post by UWS)

I’ve read the mark scheme, but it doesn’t mention anything about how many sources of information you should use. It’s jusy “recommended” on the assignment brief. On the bright side, I’ve met 5 so far. One left
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that’s what I mean!

Lecturer said you can use newspaper or BBC articles etc.

I’ve used majority of them, even two extra books for further reading. I’ve met 5 bullet points. However, I’m stuck on one bullet point, so I’ve booked a library appointment.

If I meet 5 and not 6, will this have a dramatic affect on my mark?
    I’ve read the mark scheme, but it doesn’t mention anything about how many sources of information you should use. It’s jusy “recommended” on the assignment brief. On the bright side, I’ve met 5 so far. One left
    The marking scheme should tell you to what degree you need to meet a certain grade boundary. So if you need 6 to get meet the requirement (for example), then it's likely you will miss out on the top marks. It doesn't mean you'll get a low mark, it just means you may be a few marks short from the top boundary.

(Original post by UWS)
    The marking scheme should tell you to what degree you need to meet a certain grade boundary. So if you need 6 to get meet the requirement (for example), then it's likely you will miss out on the top marks. It doesn't mean you'll get a low mark, it just means you may be a few marks short from the top boundary.
    Tbh it’s my first assignment at university level, so I doubt I’d get a First. But I’d be happy with a 2:1

I’ve booked a library appointment though, to help me find the 6th reference. I’ve spent 3 days over the weekend. No luck
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Tbh it’s my first assignment at university level, so I doubt I’d get a First. But I’d be happy with a 2:1

I’ve booked a library appointment though, to help me find the 6th reference. I’ve spent 3 days over the weekend. No luck
    I do admire your motivation to get a first I was like you when I was at uni, I always wanted a first for all my assignments.

There is nothing wrong with speaking to your lecturer 1 to 1 and trying to get pointers on where to find your 6th reference. They are there to help you. Trust me, they have helped me a lot.

(Original post by UWS)
    I do admire your motivation to get a first I was like you when I was at uni, I always wanted a first for all my assignments.

There is nothing wrong with speaking to your lecturer 1 to 1 and trying to get pointers on where to find your 6th reference. They are there to help you. Trust me, they have helped me a lot.
    Thanks I’m trying my best to find all the research information.

I have seminar tomorrow actually, so I will have a quick chat with my lecturer to help me out.

I showed her my work to ask about references last week, she was really impressed with how much I’ve done lol! She is very nice to be honest, so I’ll just ask her for guidance on how to find the last reference properly

ReputationRep:
    Generally speaking, you must meet all the assessment criteria for a passing grade and definitely for a first. If you say there are 6 criteria and you only have 5 your grade will be affected but you could still pass depending on how they mark that particular assignment. Different courses mark in different ways.

In terms of referencing it is quality over quantity, it is better to critically analyse a few sources well than to have endless references that have only been superficially addressed. For example, in my undergraduate literature review, another student had 70 references and most people had around 30 for a 4000 word review. I had 11 references and got a first, the one with 70 references got a 2.2.

(Original post by Naomibill)
    Generally speaking, you must meet all the assessment criteria for a passing grade and definitely for a first. If you say there are 6 criteria and you only have 5 your grade will be affected but you could still pass depending on how they mark that particular assignment. Different courses mark in different ways.

In terms of referencing it is quality over quantity, it is better to critically analyse a few sources well than to have endless references that have only been superficially addressed. For example, in my undergraduate literature review, another student had 70 references and most people had around 30 for a 4000 word review. I had 11 references and got a first, the one with 70 references got a 2.2.
    Thank you that is true. I do believe it’s quality, over quantity. However, this is a research assignment so more research the better.

She’s given us 6 bullet points for source of information, to help us know what to include.. So far I’ve met 5 of them. I’m stuck on the last one.

I’ve spent 3 days over the weekend looking for it. I will speak to my lecturer tomorrow and I’ve booked a library appointment. Maybe, I’m just doing it wrong?

(Original post by Naomibill)

As for the marking, I’m only in first year and this is my first assignment. So I’m all new to this.. I doubt I’d fail the assignment because I’ve met 5 bullet points and there are two other questions I’ve answered. The last one is mainly about research.

I’d probably miss out on the First because I didn’t include the 6th source of information.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.