Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice on if this is a mental health issue Watch

I'm unsure if this is a mental health issue
    I'm really struggling to know if this is a mental health disorder or if these feelings are completely normal. Let me explain, I had therapy for 10 weeks and OCD was confirmed(checking ocd) but I also have other feelings that I need to explain. There was a point when I couldnt go to to college because I was too scared to get on the bus in the rain in case it crashed, or the bus in general in case someone was to murder, kill, be violent or abusive to me. When there were terrorist attacks a few months ago happening quite often I would sleep in full clothes (black clothes, black shoes, hair up and hat) I know it sounds silly but I just couldn't relax at all I was terrified I also had a bag packed in case of a fire in the house a knife under my bed. I would call sick at work as I work in a chain pub and was so scared of what could happen. My dreams consist of being killed in every way possible. I sometimes miss classes as I'm to anxious to go due to being scared of being embarrassed if asked a question I don't know the answer to etc. I find creative ways to call out for help or someone to talk to but nothing has worked. i feel like i cant do anything, everything just feels pointless. My emotions are sometimes so high, spending money, creating all these plans for things that i know wont happen but in that few weeks I can, i feel like i can, then i come crashing down. This is all so silly I know but I need to know is this all normal or do I need some help and advice. I just do feel alone in this, I'm scared to talk to people about it as I'm scared that they will say its normal and if it is normal its too much for me. Any advice I will be truly grateful for or any suggestions on why you think I may be feeling this way

ReputationRep:
    This is a really difficult one and as stupid as it sounds, try and see the things you're describing as positive things.

Now that may seem a little bit weird, so bear with me.

Regarding being scared to go on the bus etc in case you crash, try and view it in such a way so that you're prepared should the worst happen, because as grim as it sounds, what ever is going to happen, will happen regardless if you are thinking about it or not.

I understand how you feel about being in fear of someone killing you at any point and unfortunately that's the way of the world, again though, use it to your advantage, be aware of your surroundings, in terms of who, what, when, why, where and how.

In terms of sleeping fully clothed and having a bag packed all the time, I do that as well, not so much anymore, but I went through a stage where I took a fully equipped holdall to work every day 'just in case'. In case of what, I couldn't tell you, I just done it just in case something happens.

Your dreams are your dreams, its difficult to alter your dreams because they're mainly linked in with your sub-conscience, do some research on lucid dreaming and see if that helps, its ridiculously powerful once you know how to. Again, try and view it as a positive, if you get killed one way one night, think about what could of been done differently to prevent it from happening.

My rambling may or may not help, I am not so sure, but I can assure you of one thing, you are not alone. I dealt with it all myself and I still have instances where I do think 'this is the end' and just get on with it (not referring to suicide) and nothing happens.

If you need to, I'd recommend speaking to counsellor who can assist you a lot better than I, or anybody else on here can.

Well done on speaking up, it'll be the first step on your road to recovery.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm unsure if this is a mental health issue
    I'm really struggling to know if this is a mental health disorder or if these feelings are completely normal. Let me explain, I had therapy for 10 weeks and OCD was confirmed(checking ocd) but I also have other feelings that I need to explain. There was a point when I couldnt go to to college because I was too scared to get on the bus in the rain in case it crashed, or the bus in general in case someone was to murder, kill, be violent or abusive to me. When there were terrorist attacks a few months ago happening quite often I would sleep in full clothes (black clothes, black shoes, hair up and hat) I know it sounds silly but I just couldn't relax at all I was terrified I also had a bag packed in case of a fire in the house a knife under my bed. I would call sick at work as I work in a chain pub and was so scared of what could happen. My dreams consist of being killed in every way possible. I sometimes miss classes as I'm to anxious to go due to being scared of being embarrassed if asked a question I don't know the answer to etc. I find creative ways to call out for help or someone to talk to but nothing has worked. i feel like i cant do anything, everything just feels pointless. My emotions are sometimes so high, spending money, creating all these plans for things that i know wont happen but in that few weeks I can, i feel like i can, then i come crashing down. This is all so silly I know but I need to know is this all normal or do I need some help and advice. I just do feel alone in this, I'm scared to talk to people about it as I'm scared that they will say its normal and if it is normal its too much for me. Any advice I will be truly grateful for or any suggestions on why you think I may be feeling this way
    Hi,

I think it's understandable to have worries about dying or terrorist attacks (particularly given the year Britain's had on that front)... but it does sound like these fears are debilitating and holding you back from leading your life as normal, e.g. going to work, etc. So it's not that having the thoughts isn't normal - I think those thoughts are normal to a certain extent - but more the fact that it's impeding on your day-to-day life is less normal.

I think it would be good to confide in a trusted person about this, to try and think about how you can get support and try and overcome these debilitating worries. Also for your emotions, which seem like they can vary wildly.

You deserve to not have to feel like this :hugs:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.