Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've just sent off my UCAS statement for medicine and am waiting to hear if I will get interviews (and I should do as I got 8 A* and 4 A at GCSE, am predicted AAA at A level and may well get higher and got a total UKCAT score of 3020). I have dyslexia which I declared on UCAS (with a post 16 EP assesment). I was looking at the occupational health form for medicine and saw that mental health problems, self harm and councilling have to be disclosed along with an explanation. I know I don't need to fill this in until after I get/got an offer but it's worrying me.

I've not got any diagnosed mental health problems but have been in councilling for years, have self harmed for years (only on and off now) but never badly, have had flashbacks, panic attacks, nightmares and have dissociation (depersonalisation/derealisation) symptoms and have had on and off for years. I've never been suicidal.

How much of this would I be expected to disclose as I've not got any diagnosed problems (so as far as my family, friends (apart from one) and school are concerned my past doesn't effect me at all)? I worry if don't disclose the symptoms then I won't be able to ask for help when I enviably need it somewhere along the line without being accused of dishonestly. At the same time I really don't want to tell them why I'm like this, and I can't tell if I'm expected to when I disclose the unavoidable (self harm and councilling). I don't believe any of this will effect my ability to be a doctor or affect patient safety.

Thanks for any help/guidance you can give
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nott_Freja)
    Whether or not this will affect your ability to be a doc or patient safety is not really something you can comment on. You really should disclose it all but don't have to explain the details or whys. Is there a reason why you haven't been diagnosed?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.