Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I'm currently in my final year of university studying BSc Health & Exercise Science (Post-Foundation > Did a 2 year course which equated to level 4 & 6 or year 1 & 2 of university in health & fitness thus allowing me to do the third year). As I'm approaching the end of university essentially and am a qualified fitness instructor/Personal trainer. I've become highly intrigued and motivated to get into physiotherapy especially after sustaining an injury of my own during the summer.

Now I understand the importance for work experience in terms of admissions, to which I'm about to secure some shadowing experience in a private physiotherapy practice.

My main concern however is my academic profile:
    - GCSE's I did quite bad in and had to retake essentially. (English C, Science [CORE] C, Maths D (I have functional skills level 2 passed), BTEC applied science (Merit), BTEC Media (Pass).
    - I did BTEC Health & Social care double award (Got two Distinctions*) and AS film studies got a D for that.
    - Semester 1 of university I was doing BSc Strength & Conditioning Science, but changed onto BSc Sport Science...In the end I decided Foundation Health & Fitness would be best suited for me as it gives vocational qualifications (Fitness instructing/Personal training). I achieved a Merit (almost had a Distinction or First).

Now on the current course, I'm aiming for a 1st or 2:1...So my main question is what are my chances on getting to either route BSc or MSc? Problem that I'm seeing is I don't have A level Biology which seems to be a requirement for quite a few uni's if not all.

Will I need to do...An access course: Life Sciences for subjects allied to medicine? Or do I stand a chance of getting on?

If I could get some guidance or advice on this, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AltairOne)
    Hi All,

I'm currently in my final year of university studying BSc Health & Exercise Science (Post-Foundation > Did a 2 year course which equated to level 4 & 6 or year 1 & 2 of university in health & fitness thus allowing me to do the third year). As I'm approaching the end of university essentially and am a qualified fitness instructor/Personal trainer. I've become highly intrigued and motivated to get into physiotherapy especially after sustaining an injury of my own during the summer.

Now I understand the importance for work experience in terms of admissions, to which I'm about to secure some shadowing experience in a private physiotherapy practice.

My main concern however is my academic profile:
    - GCSE's I did quite bad in and had to retake essentially. (English C, Science [CORE] C, Maths D (I have functional skills level 2 passed), BTEC applied science (Merit), BTEC Media (Pass).
    - I did BTEC Health & Social care double award (Got two Distinctions*) and AS film studies got a D for that.
    - Semester 1 of university I was doing BSc Strength & Conditioning Science, but changed onto BSc Sport Science...In the end I decided Foundation Health & Fitness would be best suited for me as it gives vocational qualifications (Fitness instructing/Personal training). I achieved a Merit (almost had a Distinction or First).

Now on the current course, I'm aiming for a 1st or 2:1...So my main question is what are my chances on getting to either route BSc or MSc? Problem that I'm seeing is I don't have A level Biology which seems to be a requirement for quite a few uni's if not all.

Will I need to do...An access course: Life Sciences for subjects allied to medicine? Or do I stand a chance of getting on?

If I could get some guidance or advice on this, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance
    Do the universities that you want to apply to not state what they want on the requirements page? When I was applying, it was laid out pretty clearly - we want x, y, x or no interview. Where are you looking at applying to?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.