The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Is Royal Holloway accommodation easy for 2nd and 3rd years to get?

Hi, I want to apply to Royal Holloway, but I can only go there if I can easily get accomodation for all of my three years. Is it easy to get? Thanks x
Original post by SmileyFaces1/
Hi, I want to apply to Royal Holloway, but I can only go there if I can easily get accomodation for all of my three years. Is it easy to get? Thanks x

Hi SmileyFaces,

It's great to hear that you're interested in applying to Royal Holloway!

First year students are guaranteed accommodation in our Halls of Residences as long as they apply by the deadline, which means that most first years will be living across our various accommodations. Second and third year students aren't necessarily offered Halls of Residence accommodation, as most students tend to move out into a shared house in the local area. There are some instances where a second or third year student might be offered Halls, such as if there's any disability which would mean being on campus is a necessity for you, some students become Hall Life Duty Officers, and students who have attended a year abroad will be offered Halls when they return.

If none of those options apply to you, there is also the opportunity to put yourself on the waiting list for accommodation, and if any accommodation is available after the rooms have been allocated to first year students, you may be offered a room. The only problem with this is that the room isn't guaranteed, and you might not find out until quite late on if this is a possibility. Generally, we suggest that only students who live close enough to be able to commute for a few weeks to put themselves on the waiting list.

The option that most students take is to move in with friends into the local area. Before starting uni this can seem really daunting, but there is so much support from the Students' Union that it really calms you down. They offer contract reading sessions, speed mating events (to put you in touch with other people looking for a place to live) and even a house searching website. The costs of accommodation in the local area is similar pricing to the Halls of Residence, and (depending on where you live) it tends to only be a ten - fifteen minute walk onto campus.

If you have any worries or questions let me know!

:smile: Summer
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest