Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Won't Back Down - Pinegrove's GCSE Year Watch

ReputationRep:

Name:  Magic is everywhere..jpg
Views: 40
Size:  49.5 KB

Hiya! I'm Freya, a year 11 from Devon.

I'm not sure whether the title of this blog is my actual motivated thoughts, a reference to that old Camp Rock song or the Eminem one. Either way, it works. This is my third attempt at keeping a blog running here, and it's gonna be The OneTM

My Goal Grades
    English Literature - 7 (although my teacher says she'll hunt me down and kill me if I don't get a 9)
    English Language - 7
    Science (x2) - 7
    Maths - 6
    Religious Studies - 8
    History - 7
    Geography - 5
    Media Studies (x2) - 6
    Health and Social Care - 6

As you can see, I'm awful at Geog Is that an excuse though? Nah fam.

To put it into context, this time last year I was on track for 2 iGCSEs at grade 5. It's been an uphill struggle ever since but I'm consistently acing my mocks and getting into the top 3 of my classes - mega proud.

I wanna prove to both myself and others that hey, I'm actually capable of this. So many people have held me back over the past couple of years and I've been so close to giving up on so many occasions, but here I am.

This won't just be a revision blog, it'll be a personal journey, and I want y'all here for it.

Lotsa love :heart:

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with your GCSE's I'm sure you'll do great in them ))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebemallow)
    Good luck with your GCSE's I'm sure you'll do great in them ))
    Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! You seem to be doing awesome right now so hopefully it will continue

ReputationRep:

Name:  Teal and Dark Yellow Crown Construction Logo.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  58.8 KB

Monday 16th October

Today was a bit of a mess, not gonna lie. I had a croissant for breakfast which threw me righhhhht off, along with it being so dark outside on the way to school. Halfway through first lesson I was making my way through a share pack of Wotsits when the sugar wore off - says it all, really.
    I could hardly focus in English, didn't understand a word of maths, and left halfway through science for a meeting. *sighs intensify*

Despite all this, I got quite a bit done this afternoon. I made an essay planning grid for English making sure I've got all the assessment objectives covered for my mock on Wednesday, so I don't have to stress on the day. I actually found this really useful, it means I'm not weighed down by a set PEE/PETAL/PEEL structure or whatever y'all use, but I'm still ticking off all the boxes.

Attachment 696236696240

I also made mindmaps on education and entertainment in Elizabethan England (that alliteration tho), which was boring as heck but at least it's out the way now. I've ended up putting so much effort into history because the kid who sits next to me couldn't care less about his education so he copies from me - our teacher isn't the best so if I can teach him something and maybe just stop him from getting a U, that's made it worth it.

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck , Loving your blog so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gw07mcgheerachel)
    Good Luck , Loving your blog so far
    Thank-you lovely!

ReputationRep:
    Love it!

ReputationRep:

Name:  Teal and Dark Yellow Crown Construction Logo.png
Views: 29
Size:  55.6 KB

Tuesday 17th October

I've not done much tonight because I was at work until seven, and I'm pretty emotionally drained. I work in an elderly care home, so obviously it's quite hard at times and tonight was just one of those nights. It wouldn't be fair for me to properly talk about it outside of work, but tonight one of the residents was fully convinced Alan Sugar was going to bring her drinks because he was on the TV. Breaks my heart man, dementia is so scary when you see it close up. I do love my job though!

Anyway, I still managed to get some Ethics revision down at lunch to make up for it - my notes are hella cute!

I've also written out a draft of my ideas for the English mock tomorrow just to get a coherent idea of it and I'm super optimistic about it. Last time I was 3rd in the class so I'm determined to get to the top spot this time round!

I've just gone over functions for maths too, I'm starting to worry my teachers with my lack of understanding so I've gotta put a bit more effort in. I've got a weird relationship with maths; put a circle theorem in front of me and I'll be in my element but something as simple as multiplying negative numbers will throw me right off. I used Khan Academy for this tonight - if you're an auditory learner like me it's so helpful to have someone explain it to you rather than cramming revision guides down your throat. Not literally, I'm hoping.

I've also written out a draft of my ideas for the English mock tomorrow just to get a coherent idea of it and I'm super optimistic about it. Last time I was 3rd in the class so I'm determined to get to the top spot this time round!

Hope everyone is having a good evening x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.N123)
    Love it!
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinegrove)
    Thank-you lovely!
    No worries Mind giving my blog a wee look - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4998046

ReputationRep:

Name:  Teal and Dark Yellow Crown Construction Logo (1).png
Views: 17
Size:  50.9 KB

Saturday 28th October

Crikey, I'm so sorry it's been so long! In my defence, I have revised, and I've had a whirlwind of a week. I debated how much of this to tell you guys but came to the conclusion that being as honest as possible would possibly help others too. Maybe.

On Monday, I went down to Truro for the day to meet up with a friend. She needed to revise Health and Social Care, I needed to as well, I also needed to take photos of her for Media coursework... perfect scenario, right? And it was; I got a heck of a lot done.

However, in the evening a bit of a crisis kicked off at home, and I ended up being pretty much homeless for two nights. I spent about three hours on the phone to social services crying my eyes out before sleeping on my mate's sofa for the night. The next day, literally 9 to 5, I was on the phone to about 4 different people sorting out where I'd be sleeping that night - eventually I went down to Camelford for the night and completely crashed in bed after an hour.

I came home on Wednesday but I've been too exhausted to do anything until today, and even now I've not done much. But I'm okay with that, y'know? I'm getting a good self care routine going and hopefully it'll prevent those inevitable year 11 breakdowns later on in the year.

First of all, I've not worn foundation since last Saturday - who am I???? My skin is pretty much 100% acne so I very rarely don't wear makeup, even just around the house, but I've cut foundation out for good now. My skin is looking so much smoother because of it. I'll never part with my eyebrows and eyeshadow though!

Secondly, I've started a 30 day yoga challenge on youtube. I started it last night, and it was so nice to zone out for half an hour and only have to focus on my breathing. I'm doing it last thing at night atm, but I might swap that to the mornings when school starts again - we'll see.

Anyway, today I managed to get some science done - I made notes on types of and features of waves. I'm so far behind in physics I don't know if this is a *thing*, but I was listening to James Acaster's Classic Scrapes on youtube while I did it, and now when I think of what he was saying (essentially just a story about him doing a gig at a church on NYE and it being hella awks) I can literally see the pictures that were on BBC Bitesize? Is that a thing? Idk, but it's worked.

I also planned my history revision for my mock coming up - I put everything from the Elizabethan England unit into red, amber and green categories so I can start working through that.

I meant to finish my english language homework today but I've completely hit a brick wall with it. I find it so hard to analyse non-fiction. Somehow I don't think "this encourages the reader because like,,,, it just does" would go down well with my teacher!

Onwards and upwards though... how are you all? Hope everyone's half terms have been a bit better than mine?

ReputationRep:
    I've just discovered your blog and I can already tell it's going to be one of my favourites this year. The way you write things and your sense of humour is my favourite thing rn. I'm so sorry about your home situation though, hopefully soon it'll get better, but the way you just carry on after something like that is so inspiring. The best of luck for this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by troubletracking)
    I've just discovered your blog and I can already tell it's going to be one of my favourites this year. The way you write things and your sense of humour is my favourite thing rn. I'm so sorry about your home situation though, hopefully soon it'll get better, but the way you just carry on after something like that is so inspiring. The best of luck for this year!
    Oh gosh thankyou!! I get so weirdly insecure about the way I write so that's a major confidence boost ahaha. You're year 11 too right? How're you finding it so far?

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh thankyou!! I get so weirdly insecure about the way I write so that's a major confidence boost ahaha. You're year 11 too right? How're you finding it so far?
    Yeah, and, honestly, this past half term has hit me like a bus and I've never been so overwhelmed in my life. *Cue A-level students to exchange the 'you know nothing, innocent child' look*. But really, I'm not sure how I'm going to make it through this year. How are you coping?
    Funnily enough about five minutes ago I made a GYG blog to help get my act together, so *slides business card across table and exchanges a knowing glance* if you want to see if I'm not dead yet, there's that. *self promo wink*

ReputationRep:
    loving the vibe of this gyg!! good luck with your journey x

ReputationRep:

Name:  Magic is everywhere..jpg
Views: 40
Size:  49.5 KB

Hiya! I'm Freya, a year 11 from Devon.

I'm not sure whether the title of this blog is my actual motivated thoughts, a reference to that old Camp Rock song or the Eminem one. Either way, it works. This is my third attempt at keeping a blog running here, and it's gonna be The OneTM

My Goal Grades
    English Literature - 7 (although my teacher says she'll hunt me down and kill me if I don't get a 9)
    English Language - 7
    Science (x2) - 7
    Maths - 6
    Religious Studies - 8
    History - 7
    Geography - 5
    Media Studies (x2) - 6
    Health and Social Care - 6

As you can see, I'm awful at Geog Is that an excuse though? Nah fam.

To put it into context, this time last year I was on track for 2 iGCSEs at grade 5. It's been an uphill struggle ever since but I'm consistently acing my mocks and getting into the top 3 of my classes - mega proud.

In the future I want to go into youth work, so technically as long as I get 5 GCSEs at 4/5 I'm sorted. But I wanna prove to both myself and others that hey, I'm actually capable of this. So many people have held me back over the past couple of years and I've been so close to giving up on so many occasions, but here I am.

This won't just be a revision blog, it'll be a personal journey, and I want y'all here for it.

Lotsa love :heart:

i love the banners! they’re so pretty!
    good luck for your gcses, i hope you achieve beyond what you’re capable of and surprise yourself but i’m sure you can do astonishing things!

really excited to see how this develops
    check out my gyg if you want? it’s probably not as good as yours!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    i love the banners! they’re so pretty!
    good luck for your gcses, i hope you achieve beyond what you’re capable of and surprise yourself but i’m sure you can do astonishing things!

really excited to see how this develops
    check out my gyg if you want? it’s probably not as good as yours!!
    thankyou! i'm a sucker for a good colour scheme lmao
    + your blog seems great! i'll deffo be keeping an eye on it

ReputationRep:
    thankyou! i'm a sucker for a good colour scheme lmao
    + your blog seems great! i'll deffo be keeping an eye on it
    well it’s a lovely colour scheme!
    thank you - same for you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    hey Freya! would love you to update xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.