Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Really struggling to knuckle down into the work at Uni Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I recently started uni. I'm studying Social Work. We have been given such massive reading lists, overall we've been recommended about 40 to 50 books and that is just the mandatory reading - There is also additional reading - I don't know where to start. We have also been given lots of journal articles to read (some up to 30 pages etc) and I am really struggling to comprehend the content. I am getting left behind and feeling overwhelmed. I have never done this type of learning before. I feel incompetent. Deadlines are fast approaching (mid Nov, mid Dec, mid Jan) and I don't really know how to get in to it, does that make sense?

Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    You need to see what support your Uni can give to you. You can try emailing your lecturers to make an appointment to have a one-on-one. Really just ask around as in my case I can get support, but only if I proactively ask for it. You don't have to worry about seeming stupid either since you recently started and any lecturer that has been around for a while should know by now that many new students have problems adjusting.

Good luck with your studies!

ReputationRep:
    In most cases, you won't have to read the entire reading list. Select the main books, and some of the other books, you can select relevant chapters or sections (look at the contents). Same with the journal articles - skim read and then read the most important parts in more detail, relevant to your class.

Setting yourself a timetable is a good way to stay organised. You may want to do a study group with a few of your course mates to discuss ideas and answer any questions you may have about the text.

You have only just started, so it can seem overwhelming at first. Stay calm and keep focused. As you settle in, you should feel less worried.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.