Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've adopted the mindset of a bigot and I'm extremely ashamed of myself Watch

I've always found mixed-race people exceedingly attractive, with the likes of Rebecca Ferguson, Jordin Sparks and Meghan Markle as a reference point. I grew up in a white middle-class area which only had two black families. Of those two families, one was a mixed-race couple with extremely gorgeous offspring. My general perception growing up has been that mixed race people have a certain physical attraction that sets them apart.

Fast forward to 2016, I had to move to an area that is considered working class and has many people that might be derogatory classed as chavs. I've been in the area for over a year now and cannot believe the numerous mixed-race kids I've seen. Every day I see at least 3 mixed race people of adult age, I also see many young mothers with mixed race kids. A lot of them look single too. This has made question the idea of diluting races.

Aside from the fact that it's none of my business, it doesn't affect me and that we should let people be, please help me see the flaws in my thinking. It's a dangerous mentality and such thinking should be nipped in the bud.

I ask this question and yet I'm a black person, who has always been considered a coconut. Everyone has always thought I will marry a white person, however, this is not certain, as my tastes have diversified over time, ever since I moved away from my parent's neighbourhood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've always found mixed-race people exceedingly attractive, with the likes of Rebecca Ferguson, Jordin Sparks and Meghan Markle as a reference point. I grew up in a white middle-class area which only had two black families. Of those two families, one was a mixed-race couple with extremely gorgeous offspring. My general perception growing up has been that mixed race people have a certain physical attraction that sets them apart.

Fast forward to 2016, I had to move to an area that is considered working class and has many people that might be derogatory classed as chavs. I've been in the area for over a year now and cannot believe the numerous mixed-race kids I've seen. Every day I see at least 3 mixed race people of adult age, I also see many young mothers with mixed race kids. A lot of them look single too. This has made question the idea of diluting races.

Aside from the fact that it's none of my business, it doesn't affect me and that we should let people be, please help me see the flaws in my thinking. It's a dangerous mentality and such thinking should be nipped in the bud.

I ask this question and yet I'm a black person, who has always been considered a coconut. Everyone has always thought I will marry a white person, however, this is not certain, as my tastes have diversified over time, ever since I moved away from my parent's neighbourhood.
    Just because you find mixed-race people more attractive, does not mean that you are bigoted. It just means you perceive their physical characteristics to be more appealing. Nothing racist about that.

. Really, there's no such as thing as a "Pure" race anyway, as scientifically speaking, we all hail from Africa. Overtime skin tones and physical characteristics changed due to the effects of the environment on humans. Take my father for example, his ancestry is very European for hundreds and hundreds of years ,(we've researched our ancestors) but if you went far back enough, you'd surely find some diversity somewhere, and it would only grow more prominent the further you go back. The scientific consensus is that all humans are related, albeit some being much more distantly related than others It is your choice to judge a person on the basis of their physical characteristics or their personality. Perhaps take both into account and make a decision. Don't make a decision based on the "dilution" of races, as we all most likely share a common ancestor if you go back far enough..

- Mixed race Afro British white guy with blue eyes....yeah weird I know..

(Original post by Djerun)
    Just because you find mixed-race people more attractive, does not mean that you are bigoted. It just means you perceive their physical characteristics to be more appealing. Nothing racist about that.

. Really, there's no such as thing as a "Pure" race anyway, as scientifically speaking, we all hail from Africa. Overtime skin tones and physical characteristics changed due to the effects of the environment on humans. Take my father for example, his ancestry is very European for hundreds and hundreds of years ,(we've researched our ancestors) but if you went far back enough, you'd surely find some diversity somewhere, and it would only grow more prominent the further you go back. The scientific consensus is that all humans are related, albeit some being much more distantly related than others It is your choice to judge a person on the basis of their physical characteristics or their personality. Perhaps take both into account and make a decision. Don't make a decision based on the "dilution" of races, as we all most likely share a common ancestor if you go back far enough..

- Mixed race Afro British white guy with blue eyes....yeah weird I know..
    Thanks for the response. Very helpful context. At the end of the day, what does it matter indeed?! We are all from the same place.

I actually find this evolution thing fascinating, because I'm originally from a certain African country that has seen mass migration into the western world. Over time, I have seen the skin colour in my family/extended family/friends become lighter. Even newborn babies are much lighter than the parents. My only conclusion is that the change of climate has an effect and this effect even gets passed down to the offspring.

You sound rather cute btw if you don't mind me saying, lol. I'm a girl so I'm not going all gay on you. I just used those three female reference points, because they are super stunning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the response. Very helpful context. At the end of the day, what does it matter indeed?! We are all from the same place.

I actually find this evolution thing fascinating, because I'm originally from a certain African country that has seen mass migration into the western world. Over time, I have seen the skin colour in my family/extended family/friends become lighter. Even newborn babies are much lighter than the parents. My only conclusion is that the change of climate has an effect and this effect even gets passed down to the offspring.

You sound rather cute btw if you don't mind me saying, lol. I'm a girl so I'm not going all gay on you. I just used those three female reference points, because they are super stunning.
    Yeah! Evolution/microevolution are really interesting topics, and research into them seems to just make the world a more interesting place! Your conclusion, as is mine, is also in line with most contemporary scientists' views in this area : )
    Also, who am I to reject a compliment ? xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.