Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I swear the gods are against me when it comes to Student Finance England.....

If you manage to get through all this message, then you deserve a medal!

I applied for student finance for the 17/18 academic year. This is for my 3rd year of university but the first time applying with a partner on ( new relationship)

I have two children and the finance for this year is based on my partners income.
    I currently receive PLA, ADG, Maintenance loan and grant.

that itself was a nightmare to sort out, it took FOUR months!!!

However, since I have a partner now on my form and I didn't for my 1st and 2nd year.... it seems to have triggered something.

I have received a letter asking when my partner moved in, his earning for 14/15 tax year and also to fill in a PFF2 Form.

Is it right they ask for his earnings from 14-15 for a 16/17 application????

So we moved in together last October 16, so I should have informed student finance change of circumstances for the 16/17 S.F but I never realised.... anyway

so it looks like there reassessing last years 16/17 finance again and using his income details from 14/15

But......
    I have got a letter from HMRC for his earnings for the 14/15 tax year and he earnt hardly anything just under 5k
    It also mentions job seekers allowance with the pay blank on the letter from HMRC as it was cancelled before he went to a meeting at job centre (is that going to also cause a problem)

So.....

this year my partner earns 20k -
    My student finance is around 10,500

Last year I had a single claim for me and my two children and my SF was around 11,100 So I received £600 more last year than i do this year... so does that mean I have around a £600 overpayment? Or will the fact he only earnt under 5k then compared to 20k now potentially go in my favour?

But if they reassess last year 16/17 application will they re assess for PLA, Maintainence grant, loan and also ADG??? He only earnt just under 5k in the 14/15 tax year

Or could it turn out they owe me?

As if he earns 20k now and I get 10,500 for the 17/18 year

and the re assess he only earn just under 5k for the 14-15 tax year which the 16-17 PFF2 form is asking for information on....

So confused.... and the phone line for SFE is USELESS
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenArrow)
    I swear the gods are against me when it comes to Student Finance England.....

If you manage to get through all this message, then you deserve a medal!

I applied for student finance for the 17/18 academic year. This is for my 3rd year of university but the first time applying with a partner on ( new relationship)

I have two children and the finance for this year is based on my partners income.
    I currently receive PLA, ADG, Maintenance loan and grant.

that itself was a nightmare to sort out, it took FOUR months!!!

However, since I have a partner now on my form and I didn't for my 1st and 2nd year.... it seems to have triggered something.

I have received a letter asking when my partner moved in, his earning for 14/15 tax year and also to fill in a PFF2 Form.

Is it right they ask for his earnings from 14-15 for a 16/17 application????

So we moved in together last October 16, so I should have informed student finance change of circumstances for the 16/17 S.F but I never realised.... anyway

so it looks like there reassessing last years 16/17 finance again and using his income details from 14/15

But......
    I have got a letter from HMRC for his earnings for the 14/15 tax year and he earnt hardly anything just under 5k
    It also mentions job seekers allowance with the pay blank on the letter from HMRC as it was cancelled before he went to a meeting at job centre (is that going to also cause a problem)

So.....

this year my partner earns 20k -
    My student finance is around 10,500

Last year I had a single claim for me and my two children and my SF was around 11,100 So I received £600 more last year than i do this year... so does that mean I have around a £600 overpayment? Or will the fact he only earnt under 5k then compared to 20k now potentially go in my favour?

But if they reassess last year 16/17 application will they re assess for PLA, Maintainence grant, loan and also ADG??? He only earnt just under 5k in the 14/15 tax year

Or could it turn out they owe me?

As if he earns 20k now and I get 10,500 for the 17/18 year

and the re assess he only earn just under 5k for the 14-15 tax year which the 16-17 PFF2 form is asking for information on....

So confused.... and the phone line for SFE is USELESS
    Hi LaurenArrow,

As you're eligible for Grants for Dependants (GFD) the household income can affect your entitlement. This is why they have asked for the date your partner moved in.

As this happened last academic year (AY) they will have asked for his taxable income for the relevant tax year (for AY 2016/17 the relevant tax year was 2015/15).

Once the information is received GFD team will pro rata your entitlement from the given date.

I'd be unable to say exactly how it may affect your funding. It may be that there is an overpayment but like you say, it may work in your favour as there may be extra entitlement based on the figures provided.

Regards,

Stuart

Submit reply
TSR Support Team
Updated: October 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.