Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    About Me:
    Hello!! My name's Bethany and I'm 18 years old (how scary is it that I'm now an adult ahhh! ). I suffer from endometriosis and possibly fibromyalgia so I'm in and out of hospital quite a lot which means I can get quite behind in sixth form and is definitely a big disadvantage for me. I'm also going through a lot of therapy at the moment due to some trauma in my childhood so currently it feels like the world is against me doing well in education!! I have a passion for psychology (as in I absolutely love it!) and I hoping to do a degree in it and work as an educational/clinical psychologist and use my own experiences to help children in similar situations that I found myself in. This means I have a lot of studying ahead of me so luckily I enjoy it. I am a bit of an animal lover, below I'll introduce my pets because although this is about my education I will probably talk about my pets quite a bit!

My Animals: (aka the things that keep my sane during exam season!)

Charlie is my 10 year old border collie who is also my emotional support animal. He's super clever and won't leave my side when I'm really ill. He takes me out of panic attacks and flashbacks which I'm so so grateful for! I couldn't imagine myeline without him. He is a very sensitive dog and loves to play fetch!
    [attach]6.985386985426985e+29[/attach]
    Winnie is my newest guinea pig, I got her on 9th October after losing my piggy Izzy. She loves to squeak and popcorn around and spends a lot of time on my lap eating lettuce! She is very hyper and absolutely loves food!

[attach]6.985386985426985e+29[/attach]
    Lola (on the right) is my oldest guinea pig. Unlike Winnie she will not sit still on my lap. She's very cheeky and loves running under the sofa when I'm not watching her. Her sister (on the left) is Izzy who I lost in September. They were very close however Lola and Winnie seem to be just as close which I'm really glad about!

Education: I'm in my 2nd year of sixth form studying chemistry, psychology and media studies, due to my poor health last year I'm doing my a levels over 3 years instead of 2. I'm taking 1 AS and 2 A Levels this year. My health definitely has a big impact on my education and often leaves me behind so join my journey and let's see if I can still achieve good grades whilst being chronically ill (that's what Spoonie means btw)

Exams:
    Psychology Alevel
    Media Studies Alevel
    Chemistry AS Level

Predicted Grades:
    Spoiler:
    Show

(These were set before I was diagnosed as chronically ill so idk if my teacher's want to move them down or something)
    Psychology: A
    Media Studies: A
    Chemistry: A

Grades so far:
    GCSE:
    Spoiler:
    Show

AS:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Goals:
    To complete my media coursework to a high standard (last year I got 94% so not sure I can beat that!!!)
    To get my attendance to around 75% (I know that seems bad but for me with everything going on it's actually quite a tough goal).
    To avoid hospital AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE (please body help me out here!!)
    To catch up with last years psychology work
    To achieve at least one A/A* grade
    To get into Bath Uni to study psychology

I hope you'll join me on my adventure through the good days, the bad days (there are a lot of them) and all the days in between!

Bethany
    XOXO
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethany1309)
    Hi! My name's Bethany. I'm 18 doing two alevels this year and one next year. I suffer from endometriosis and possibly fibromyalgia so I'm in and out of hospital quite a lot which means I get really behind on work so let's see if I can still achieve good grades whilst being chronically ill (that's what Spoonie means btw)

Exams:
    Psychology Alevel
    Media Studies Alevel
    Chemistry AS Level

Predicted Grades:
    (These were set before I was diagnosed as chronically ill so idk if my teacher's want to move them down or something)
    Psychology: A
    Chemistry: A

Grades so far:
    GCSE:
    Additional Science: A*
    Media Studies: A*
    Core Science: A
    Maths: A
    ICT: A
    RS: A
    English Lit: B
    English Lang: B
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Idk if you've noticed but I did less GCSEs then most people, this is due to the fact that I suffer from serve anxiety/depression along with PTSD and some lovely other things so not only has it stopped me from doing as many GCSEs as I wanted to but also stopped me from completing my a levels over 2 years like everyone else )

AS:

Goals:
    To complete my media coursework to a high standard (last year I got 94% so not sure I can beat that!!!)
    To get my attendance to around 75% (I know that seems bad but for me with everything going on it's actually quite a tough goal).
    To avoid hospital AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE (please body help me out here!!)
    To catch up with last years psychology work
    To achieve at least one A/A* grade
    To get into Bath Uni to study psychology

I hope you'll join me on my adventure through the good days, the bad days (there are a lot of them) and all the day in between

Bethany
    XOXO
    Good luck this year! Interesting mix of subjects - why did you chose them? Hope you have a good health year this year so you don't get too stressed out about exams and hospital :yep::heart:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    Good luck this year! Interesting mix of subjects - why did you chose them? Hope you have a good health year this year so you don't get too stressed out about exams and hospital :yep::heart:
    Thank you! I love love love psychology so that was an obvious choice for me (although at the time I just wanted to do it as an AS and now I want to study it in Uni!). Chemistry is another subject I just love, even though it's so hard! And media is an 'easier' option for me. The creative side just comes quite naturally to me so it was something I chose which allowed me to be creative.

ReputationRep:
    This week has been hard. My pain is bad and I've needed to rest up quite a bit but I'm desperate to catch up with work I missed at sixth form last term!! I had a psychology exam last week and struggled more than usual due to the fact I missed most of the content at the end of last year as I was admitted to hospital 4 times! Speaking of hospitals, I saw my doctor today and we think I'm going to have to go back in the next few days as I most likely need Morphine for my pain.

I've started a pain diary so I can show my doctors how I'm feeling and it can also help me to show my teachers why I'm finding things hard. Maybe some of my pain correlates to stress and I can put things into place with my teachers to help prevent me getting too stressed out. I highly recommend a pain diary to all of my fellow spoonies out there, when you're as ill as me communication with professionals is the only way I can get by, my teachers are so so so lovely and I really appreciate them helping me out :heart:

Things aren't easy at the moment but I'm determined not to give up. Studying isn't as high of a priority as it used to be and I find that really sad as if my health wasn't like this I would be doing so much better at college. I'm just going to take every day as it comes and hope next term will be better.

(I'm on a lot of pain relief so I apologise if this isn't making much sense!)

xoxo
    Bethany

ReputationRep:
    Week 1- Mon 23rd Oct-Sun 29th Oct
    Hello! I haven’t actually decided how I want to lay out my posts yet so bear with me the next few weeks whilst I work out what I want to do .

This week has been a nightmare! I started off on Monday planning all this revision, catch up work, coursework and homework that I needed to do but sadly another trip to the hospital meant that this wasn’t possible . I will admit it has made me feel very stressed now as I was really hoping to FINALLY catch up with the psychology work I missed at the end of last year due to being in and out of hospital (my illness only started really affecting me around May last year so I still haven’t managed to work out how to be chronically ill and keep up with work whilst making sure I keep my mental illnesses at bay –the problem is when my mental health is bad I overwork so I’m going to have to ask my teachers to tell me if they notice that I start doing that). I’ve decided I’m going to speak to my teachers for psychology and see if they have a free period at the same time as me to go over some of the content I haven’t properly learned yet, my teachers are absolutely lovely so hopefully they’ll help me out. Luckily Media Studies is on the old spec so I already have an A grade in 50% of it and another 25% is coursework, which I can do at home whilst only 25% of my finally grade is exam based which I’ll do in May/June time. I’m retaking Chemistry so I don’t have to worry too much about missing stuff last year as I’m going to cover it again this year, my teachers for Chemistry are again really lovely so I’m sure if I get stuck they’ll be able to assist me so I’m trying not to stress myself out too much!

Personal:
    This week has involved many phone calls to my doctor, a lot of painkillers and a hospital admission where I had to get a catheter put in (which has been removed now, thankfully!). I hate going into hospital so I spent as much as time as possible trying to avoid it and managing my pain at home but unfortunately on Friday it all got too much. The problem with endometriosis is the pain is related to your menstrual cycle so the main treatment for it (which sadly doesn't cure it!) is birth control. The pill made my MH very bad so about a month ago I got taken off of it which means I've started ovulating again, this means around 2 weeks out of 4 I'm in an awful amount of pain and the other 2 I can just about manage, but it's going to take between 6-8 weeks before I see a doctor a get the coil put in which means I have to go through another 2 cycles and will probably end up missing a lot of sixth form work again! I think the whole situation has just made me very anxious now, every cycle the pain gets worse and I'm not sure I can manage it for much longer. My doctor when I was in the hospital wouldn't listen to me either but I'm 18 now, in an adults ward, why is she still talking to my mum instead of me? I'm going to leave feedback anyway as I want to be the one in charge of my treatment. I see my doctor on Wednesday so I'll see what he says about the whole situation.

Pet Update!:

Charlie-My dog hates this time of year for one reason- fireworks! You think after 10 years he get used to them but nope! He starts shaking a panting and starts following me around the house. I feel like he hasn't been on as many walks as usual this week because of me being in hospital and my mum spending most of the time when she wasn't working visiting me so I do feel bad . He was really glad to see me when I got discharged today, you can tell that he misses me!

Winnie and Lola- They’re bickering as I write this, I’ve just put food in for them and they seem to been stealing the lettuce from each other and making a purring noise (which if they don’t speak guinea pig, means they’re telling each other to go away!). I’ve found out they both (particularly Lola) seem to really enjoy watermelon. They've had a couple of days where they haven't been out of their cage so were running around very energetically when I got them out tonight. I've missed Charlie and them so much so I'm so happy to be home.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.