Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Attempting AS Levels (Phoebe's GYG 2017) Watch

ReputationRep:

:bee2:Phoebe's GYG 2017 :bee2:

I'm making this GYG in an attempt to make me stop procrastinating and actually get me to work harder for my A-levels. I'm currently in year 12 and have just started them and know I want to get good grades in them

GCSE Grades
    Spoiler:
    Show

English Language: 8 (A massive surprise to me seeing as I'd been scraping 4's since year 10)
    English Literature: 5 (A pretty good achievement seeing as I'd been predicted 4's for this too)
    Maths: 6!!!! (I had convinced myself I had failed maths and that I'd have to retake it but it turns out I was wrong and very happily so)
    Core Science: A
    Additional Science: B
    Classical Civilisation: A
    Drama: A
    Religious Studies: A
    PE: C (A bit of a disappointment but both the theory papers were really difficult because they asked 6 mark questions on parts of the spec that only had 2 sentences written about it in the textbook)

A-Level Subjects
    Spoiler:
    Show

Drama & Theatre Studies
    Film Studies
    Classical Civilisation

And if you want to know what I want to do at Uni all I know is I want to do something in film but I'm really not sure what it is I want to do yet within that area
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebemallow)

I'm making this GYG in an attempt to make me stop procrastinating and actually get me to work harder for my A-levels. I'm currently in year 12 and have just started them and know I want to get good grades in them

GCSE Grades
    Spoiler:
    Show

English Language: 8 (A massive surprise to me seeing as I'd been scraping 4's since year 10)
    English Literature: 5 (A pretty good achievement seeing as I'd been predicted 4's for this too)
    Maths: 6!!!! (I had convinced myself I had failed maths and that I'd have to retake it but it turns out I was wrong and very happily so)
    PE: C (A bit of a disappointment but both the theory papers were really difficult because they asked 6 mark questions on parts of the spec that only had 2 sentences written about it in the textbook)

A-Level Subjects
    Spoiler:
    Show

Drama & Theatre Studies
    Film Studies
    Classical Civilisation

And if you want to know what I want to do at Uni all I know is I want to do something in film but I'm really not sure what it is I want to do yet within that area

Hiya! Good luck this year :yep: I know my good pal Danny Dorito did film at uni if you want any info about it :yy:
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebemallow)

GCSE Grades
    Spoiler:
    Show

A-Level Subjects
    Spoiler:
    Show

Drama & Theatre Studies
    Film Studies
    Classical Civilisation

Your GYG page looks great Phoebe, I'm excited to keep up to date with it! What kind of film degree are you interested in? More practical, the theory side of it or a combination of the two?
    My degree was more theoretical and I really loved it. I've always had a love for English and I found that there were some parallels between film studies and English Lit. If you ever need any advice or just want a sounding board when applying to uni, hit me up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    Hiya! Good luck this year :yep: I know my good pal Danny Dorito did film at uni if you want any info about it :yy:
    Thanks so much bud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    Your GYG page looks great Phoebe, I'm excited to keep up to date with it! What kind of film degree are you interested in? More practical, the theory side of it or a combination of the two?
    My degree was more theoretical and I really loved it. I've always had a love for English and I found that there were some parallels between film studies and English Lit. If you ever need any advice or just want a sounding board when applying to uni, hit me up
    Thank you!! I'm probably more interested in a mix of the both because I love the theory but I'm also better as a hands on learner and love making films and editing it all together

ReputationRep:
    I've been ill for the past couple of days so I haven't been in college and haven't been up for working that much so I did some work on my Classics because there are a couple things I'm not 100% sure on still

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  511.2 KB

ReputationRep:

My Half Term Goals

• Do all my homework :macarena:
    • Go over my notes and make flashcards and other revision tools :smartass:
    • Go for a run every other day.:run:

I'm also obviously going to chill out and relax and have fun with my friends but I really want to achieve all 3 of these because I want to go back to college knowing I won't have forgotten everything and I also want to be able to improve my health with the running ))

ReputationRep:
    Name:  9548B064-4486-45BE-B07E-C35458EE2738.jpg.jpeg
Views: 39
Size:  23.9 KB

I've already started making some flash cards and going over my notes for film
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

Sunday 22nd of October 2017
    Today I went for a 30 minute run, which was quite nice and refreshing. However, when I woke up this morning it took a lot of effort to get up and out of bed and actually get going with my day. I also went over some more notes for film and I tried to do my half term homework but I had no motivation for that today so I just left it and I am currently working on some notes for Oedipus The King. I'm having a bit of a crisis with Classics at the moment because I enjoy everything we're learning but the way it's being taught to me is the problem because I just don't fully understand it. Also, my teacher stops and starts constantly in different places so all of my notes are never in order on one piece of paper (If that makes sense)

I'm also having a crisis about my future because I honestly have no idea what I want to do within the film industry and it's completely stressing me out because it seems like everyone else has already figured it out and I know that I have plenty of time but I'm supposed to be looking at universities and courses this time next year and I'm honestly just stressing out.

ReputationRep:

Monday 23rd of October 2017
    Today I made some progress on my film homework and made an essay plan of all the things that I want to put into it. I also started writing it and I watched quite a lot of videos on YouTube that were completely random because I got bored.

I honestly got really really bored today so I made myself go out for a run despite it raining and I got absolutely soaked but I felt better for it afterwards because a hard a really nice warm shower afterwards. I probably won't get any work done this evening because I have a rehearsal until 10 :bban:

ReputationRep:

Tuesday 24th of October 2017
    I started doing some of my drama homework today. I also went to see The Death of Stalin today and I loved it! I think it was pretty funny (Not as funny as it was hyped up to be but still funny) It worked at being intimidating and scary and as a serious piece as well There's really not much else to say if I'm honest I didn't do a lot today. I took some photos and stuff but nothing very eventful happened.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I had a bit of a day off, I got my hair cut and went out for a meal with my friends and then we went to see Thor: Ragnarok and it was soooooo good!!! It was a 2 hour film but it felt like 20 minutes it was that fun and that well written. I've been really tired all week though

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I did absolutely nothing today work wise because I went to see my Grandma and binge watched Stranger Things season 2 and I don't regret it at all

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to start challenging myself creatively because I like challenges and I just feel like I need a break from doing college things all the time and I want to be able to find inspiration from other places too. Some of these things will be:
    • Playing piano
    • Writing poems
    • Photography
    • Script writing
    • Making films and other things like that

I definitely won't be doing all of these things every day, or even every week, because I'm quite a busy person, but I really want to try all these things and challenge myself

ReputationRep:
    I finally finished my in-depth research on Atonin Artaud for Drama!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I forgot to mention that I managed to complete ALL of my half term goals, which has never happened to me before! I'm struggling a bit at the moment though because today our Classics lesson got cancelled and our teacher sent us the work, which is to read the whole of book 4 for Thursday but I'm a really slow reader due to my dyslexia

ReputationRep:
    concentrate on revising, rather than posting pal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win011)
    concentrate on revising, rather than posting pal
    Lol I know buddy. I don't post very often and when I do it's pretty short.

ReputationRep:
    i am also doing my AS now, biology damn hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win011)
    i am also doing my AS now, biology damn hard
    I have a friend taking Biology and she loves it but finds it super difficult

Submit reply
Updated: November 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.