Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How does one get 3 A* in A level? Watch

ReputationRep:
    in my final year
    maths, econ and english

ReputationRep:
    I don't do English but for maths: do as much practice as you can. Do every past paper you have time for before the exam(s). Make sure you know the formulae you aren't given in the formula booklet.
    Economics: know the definitions. Helps a lot with short answer questions as well as a great way to start off essays. Speaking of essays, don't necessarily write every one out that you see- plan it, then get a teacher to read through it and see what they say and what feedback they give you. Obviously write out a few fully (and time it so you know you can still produce it in the exam) and give some of those to a teacher as well.

It's definitely possible and I wish you the best luck!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of hard work...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veeraxox)
    in my final year
    maths, econ, english
    Lots of practice and past-paper questions. I can tell you that for Maths, you need to really know each topic like the back of your hand. You want to really be confident in your answers, and to get them quickly enough to have time to double-check. If you're doing modular (which you probably are if you're a 2nd year), focus more on C3 and C4 than on your applied module (I did S2). The main barrier to getting an A* is getting the 90% average of C3 and C4. That said, if you got less than 80% (an A) in your first year, consider retaking a first-year module, especially if you don't think you'll do well on your applied module this year.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    in my final year
    maths, econ, english
    You don't need to, it's extremely unlikely any offer will require A*A*A*.

Edit: also please don't post the same question in multiple forums.
    I've merged your multiple threads and consolidated them in the A-levels forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    Lots of practice and past-paper questions. I can tell you that for Maths, you need to really know each topic like the back of your hand. You want to really be confident in your answers, and to get them quickly enough to have time to double-check. If you're doing modular (which you probably are if you're a 2nd year), focus more on C3 and C4 than on your applied module (I did S2). The main barrier to getting an A* is getting the 90% average of C3 and C4. That said, if you got less than 80% (an A) in your first year, consider retaking a first-year module, especially if you don't think you'll do well on your applied module this year.
    I did ocr
    do u need a for each module ( 80 ums or over) in maths as and maths a level to get A* as well as 90 UMS for C3 and C4
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I did ocr
    do u need a for each module ( 80 ums or over) in maths as and maths a level to get A* as well as 90 UMS for C3 and C4
    No.

You must get a grade A on the A Level overall (not per module) and achieve at least 90% of the UMS on the core A2 units combined (units C3 and C4).

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/16356-a...-questions.pdf

ReputationRep:
    I did ocr
    Nope. You need a total of 180/200 in C3 and C4 (that's 90% on average, but if you get 100% in one and 80% in the other you're fine), and a total of 480/600 out of all 6 units (80% average). Usually it's the C3 and C4 that holds people back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)

economics at cambridge 2 A* A
    i know people who got 4a* AND WENT TO BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE OXFORD
    and biomed oxford is not even that competitive
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    biomed oxford is not even that competitive
    ? Oxford's offer rate for biomedicine is about 19%, that's pretty competitive.

And yes I know Cambridge's offer is A*A*A, that's not A*A*A* though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ? Oxford's offer rate for biomedicine is about 19%, that's pretty competitive.

And yes I know Cambridge's offer is A*A*A, that's not A*A*A* though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    but lots of good courses such as LSE finance and accounting say they need 3 As for example but i know most people who got A* 2As at least

they give min. requirement to not put people off
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    but lots of good courses such as LSE finance and accounting say they need 3 As for example but i know most people who got A* 2As at least

they give min. requirement to not put people off
    They give typical requirements because that's what's typically required. If you apply for an AAA course will never be given an A*A*A* requirement. You might *achieve* a higher grade but it's not required.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They give typical requirements because that's what's typically required. If you apply for an AAA course will never be given an A*A*A* requirement. You might *achieve* a higher grade but it's not required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    but my point is that nobody gets in with the required grades
    everyone achieves 4A* to get into Oxford

ReputationRep:
    name somebody who got into Oxford and came from a grammar school or private school with lower grades
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    If you meet the offer you get the place. If the offer is AAA and that's what you achieve, you're in. Simple as that.

What course are you *actually* considering? And which universities? You've missed the Oxbridge deadline - so they are out anyway...

ReputationRep:
    ,Good luck! Tbh I think if you believe you can do it you can. Everyone has the potential. Not everyone has the dedication

ReputationRep:

A*A*A* is the standard offer for warwick maths, although I'm not sure if that's what you actually need or if they let most people in who miss it (and obviously this person isn't studying maths just thought it was interesting).

name somebody who got into Oxford and came from a grammar school or private school with lower grades
    There's someone on my course who got into Oxford but dropped out and got A*AAB, and he came from a ridiculously posh private school (which means Oxford have higher expectations). Someone else got into Cambridge and dropped out with A*A*A from a very good grammar school.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordofbutthurt)
    A*A*A* is the standard offer for warwick maths, although I'm not sure if that's what you actually need or if they let most people in who miss it (and obviously this person isn't studying maths just thought it was interesting).
    Yes, but most will do STEP and be able to target the A*A*A 1 alternative offer instead. And, correct, it's not relevant to the OP anyway (no FM...).

ReputationRep:
    If you meet the offer you get the place. If the offer is AAA and that's what you achieve, you're in. Simple as that.

What course are you *actually* considering? And which universities? You've missed the Oxbridge deadline - so they are out anyway...
    I acc applies with 2A* and A prediction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordofbutthurt)

There's someone on my course who got into Oxford but dropped out and got A*AAB, and he came from a ridiculously posh private school (which means Oxford have higher expectations). Someone else got into Cambridge and dropped out with A*A*A from a very good grammar school.
    one girl who went to a boarding school-- got 4A* biomedical science oxford
    one guy who went to private school-- got 4A* biomedical science oxford

one guy who went to TOP GRAMMAR school got 4A* PPE OXFORD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.