Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been a student at university for two years now, i am currently in my third and final year studying game and entertainment design.
    During this time i have come to the conclusion these degrees are pretty much worthless!
    Universities still operate like they always have with their traditional courses which have always been academical and theoretical such as english, maths, history and many more, and it works for those courses, but i find courses like mine require more practical sessions rather than lectures, we need to be shown and allowed to practice the basic and advanced techniques within the skill sets required for the industry, yes there is an emphasis in myself to go away and practice, but i and many others learn better when shown how to do something, which leads me on to thinking these type of courses do not belong at university, and are better suited for colleges where they spend more time in classes and labs than in lecture theatres.
    It seems im joined by many of the game industry's leading developers as reports have recently shown they disapprove of these degrees favouring either computer science degrees and self taught designers with plenty of practical experience, infact they snigger at the idea of games design degrees.
    So it brings me to my concern, it all feels like it will have been for nothing, even if i get my degree, i am at an age where im up against more trch savvy youngsters, theres more applicants than jobs in the industry, which i know tends to be same for many industries but this one is even harder to get into.
    The industry might be worth billions but theres very few jobs, to get the job you have to be pretty good, and sadly im not naturally gifted, i have to work hard at everything and if the course im paying for doesn't teach me the skills i need i will never make it, so this degree will have been for nothing and just to stick boot in its coupled with the dreaded student debt 🤤

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.