Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    “How is power presented in [poem] and one other poem from the cluster?”
    Im going to write about My Last Duchess- Robert Browning, but I don’t know how to start help?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    'Both poets present the power of humans using various methods to present its ultimate fragility and its temporary nature.' MLD goes really well with Ozymandias

ReputationRep:
    In 'My Last Duchess', Browning presents power as......
    Similarly/In contrast, '*Insert poem 2 here*', the poet presents power as.......

Just try to integrate your responses and make references to both texts in the Link part of your paragraphs.
    Try the PETAL stucture: Point, Evidence, Technique/word class/structural device, Analysis, Link
    Hopefylly this works for you, its what I use and on average I get around 95% in an English Lit paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NerdyHannah)
    In 'My Last Duchess', Browning presents power as......
    Similarly/In contrast, '*Insert poem 2 here*', the poet presents power as.......

Just try to integrate your responses and make references to both texts in the Link part of your paragraphs.
    Try the PETAL stucture: Point, Evidence, Technique/word class/structural device, Analysis, Link
    Hopefylly this works for you, its what I use and on average I get around 95% in an English Lit paper.
    In “My Last Duchess” Browning presents power as the political and social power of the Duke and his attempt to control his marriage. The Duke believes that his name and wealth is a gift to those around him. He views this as a way to dominate his wives, servants should be aware of his importance and his gallery should display his power.
    “As if she ranked
    My gift of a nine-hundred-years-old name
    With anybody’s gift”
    Brownings use of enjambment makes it seem like a real conversation and can create emotion. Browning also uses rhyming couplets, this could present the Dukes need for control.

I know it’s not great, this isn’t a subject I’m strong in but your opinion?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Just remember to make a point about a short yet impactful quote and explain its meaning then provide a possible second meaning and then analyse its language/structure technique to finish.

Here are some of my GCSE notes on the last dutchess and the theme of power - Grade 8 in Eng Lit AQA:

Technique is in bold
    Quote is in italics
    Explanation is underlined

Word Use
    The pronoun "my" is repeated in several areas to show that his wife is a possession and to emphasise his dominance over her.
    The title "sir" is used to address the person he is speaking to but it has an undermining tone to clarify his superiority over the other.
    - This tone is used again in "Will't please you rise?", this is more of a demand than a question and further emphasises his dominance.
    The pronoun "I" is also repeated to show how self-obsessed he is.

Structure
    A poem is written as a dramatic monologue (a speech by an individual) and is one huge stanza that makes the reader breathless when we read it and makes us overwhelmed, reflecting the Duke's power.
    The poem makes use of iambic pentameter (a line consisting of one short syllable followed by one long syllable) and rhyming couplets. These techniques needed, in order to be used correctly, tight control and thought by the poet. The tight control of the techniques shows the tight control of the Duke and his controlling power of his wife.
    The poet contrasts this with use of enjambment where the Duke shows his real dialogue and blurts out emotion towards the end of the poem where the tone changes. This use of enjambment, where punctuation is lacking and no control is needed, represents the fact that the Duke doesn't have complete control.

Language
    The Duke says to the person of address to "Notice Neptune, though, taming a seahorse", this could be interpreted as a metaphor as Neptune representing the Duke and the seahorse representing the Duchess. This could show that he thinks he should be rightfully more dominant than his wife and all women which shows his control and power over her, this could link to contextual gender roles.
    The Duke also says "[he] gave commands", this ambiguous euphanism could mean he literally gave commands like "Stop smiling!" or it could be interpreted in the way that he gave commands for someone to kill his wife for the fact that "her looks went everywhere" - her promiscuity, revealing a sinister tone to the poem.

That's all I got for the theme of power in the Last Duchess anyway and it wasn't one of my favourite ones either, I can provide notes for Tissue and other difficult ones on request.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totoro2234)
    In “My Last Duchess” Browning presents power as the political and social power of the Duke and his attempt to control his marriage. The Duke believes that his name and wealth is a gift to those around him. He views this as a way to dominate his wives, servants should be aware of his importance and his gallery should display his power.
    “As if she ranked
    My gift of a nine-hundred-years-old name
    With anybody’s gift”
    Brownings use of enjambment makes it seem like a real conversation and can create emotion. Browning also uses rhyming couplets, this could present the Dukes need for control.

I know it’s not great, this isn’t a subject I’m strong in but your opinion?
    You've got the main points, although if you can link to contextual ideas about aristocracy or major events of the era it was written or based in, then you'll pick up far more marks for AO3. Also, where you've used the word 'emotion', try and say 'this demonstrates pathos, alluding to the idea that he feels very strongly about his status'.... that should also boost your mark. Analysis of individual words can also enhance the paragraph, so look into connotations. BONUS POINTS if you can link to hubris, which can be seen a lot in this particular poem. PM me for more tips should you need them. I might also be able to find you a modal answer x..

ReputationRep:
    i'd say thay's currently at around a grade 6 btw (I'm very familiar with the mark scheme, I mark Year 10 work on the behalf of the English department at my school)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.