Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it OK that there are parts of the UK which are majority non-White British? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Should've thought about that before you colonised half the world m8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
    Should've thought about that before you colonised half the world m8.
    Half? It was at least 80% lol

ReputationRep:
    The issue isn't so much that they've got their own areas as such, its the fact that there are a lot of 'No white zones' where if you are white and go down there, you're gonna land yourself in hot water. At what point is that ok?

Another thing is that with the aforementioned places in the OP ie Rotherham & Slough, there is an awful lot of crime there that people turn a blind eye to because its within their own communities, its sickening.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever you start defining being British as only being "White"-there is a problem. Basically, you could have titled your post "Keep The UK White" or gone the path of simply starting a post saying "Make The UK White Again"-which is much more directly to the point and clearer, still, in its racist intent, though for sure what you wrote is clear enough already. (Historically, there have always been people of other raises, for a very long, long time, living throughout The UK.)

And of course, there is the little problem of colonialism and going all over the world to places that were very non-British, making the people of those lands subjects and exploiting their natural resources, leading to a number of countries, for example, having to fight for their independence and to end decades and in some cases centuries of racism and colonialism and exploitation and oppression, etc.

No country that coins the phrase "The sun never sets on The British Empire" should be crying about now having some greater diversity of its population. Using your flawed logic, why were The British in Hong Kong, in China-ruling over that city and and all the other places where the people there were non-White? Did these people in these various locales ask to be invaded and made colonial subjects?

(Original post by MartinF98)
    There are entire neighbourhoods of cities/towns like London, Bradford, Luton, Leicester, Rotherham, Slough, Batley, Blackburn, Birmingham and small towns across the country that are majority Asian. There seems to be a lot of racial segregation in a lot of cities, which points to a clear integration problem. In a majority white British country like the UK, it's quite shocking, especially to tourists, that there are parts of London which are majority non-white where you'd struggle to find an English person. I feel like we are losing our identity. The non-white population is increasing at a rapid rate and even though we're not going to be minorities in our country anytime soon, we are already minorities

Imagine if you go to Tokyo and there are large swathes of the city where the majority of people are black or Indian instead of Japanese. Here, we seem to not care about our ethnic identity. Being British is no longer connected to our heritage, almost anyone who's born here is considered 'British' even if they don't live in our culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MartinF98)
    There are entire neighbourhoods of cities/towns like London, Bradford, Luton, Leicester, Rotherham, Slough, Batley, Blackburn, Birmingham and small towns across the country that are majority Asian. There seems to be a lot of racial segregation in a lot of cities, which points to a clear integration problem. In a majority white British country like the UK, it's quite shocking, especially to tourists, that there are parts of London which are majority non-white where you'd struggle to find an English person. I feel like we are losing our identity. The non-white population is increasing at a rapid rate and even though we're not going to be minorities in our country anytime soon, we are already minorities

Imagine if you go to Tokyo and there are large swathes of the city where the majority of people are black or Indian instead of Japanese. Here, we seem to not care about our ethnic identity. Being British is no longer connected to our heritage, almost anyone who's born here is considered 'British' even if they don't live in our culture.
    Being British isn’t about being white and born here it’s about a state of mind.

I know you aren’t being racist though I understand your point.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FarhanHalim)
    Even though I've lived here my entire life, I don't think I can ever be considered truly British because I'm obviously not of British heritage. There is always an ethnic aspect of being British, it's not the same as being American since the White British are the indigenous population whereas in America the majority of people are of immigrant descent. I'd love to be considered British but the truth is that the majority of people here would never completely accept even the most British-sounding, British-like person of non-white heritage to be fully British unfortunately. Look at Mo Farah, Nadiya from Bake off, Riz Ahmed, they're all 'British' but neither their own parents and relatives or the wider British public will know them as anything other than the token Muslim guy or the token black guy. Subconsciously people just don't consider us British and that's why even if everyone integrates people are still going to be secretly angry about non-white towns and enighboruhoods, because they'll never be considered truly British
    That’s just not true, most of the people who are unhappy about the current situation are so for practical rather than racist reasons.

For example look at the grief Muslims get vs black atheists or Christians. It would be the same level of grief of this was about skin rather than ideas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsfantanoo)
    Does anyone have a genuine argument as to what the issue is? Do white british people somehow expect the rest of us to suck up to them and live next to them so they have some nice coloured neighbours?
    Do you deny there is an issue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    The sad fact is that I feel fully British and act as British as any white British person I know but due to my ethnic background obviously I don't 'look British' and I feel that because of that I'll never actually be considered truly British. I feel like in this country you do need to be white in order to be considered truly British by the majority of people, no matter how hard you integrate people are always going to look confused when they ask you where you're from and you say 'London'. More than half the time the second question is always 'yeah but where are your parents from/where are you from ORIGINALLY?'

These non-white towns are always going to be considered non-British even if they integrate.
    It’s a legit question to ask someone’s heritage though. If you’re talking to some black lad and he’s got a regional uk accent it’s fair to assume they are British. The question they are asking is the specifics.

Where in London? Where are the parents or grand parents from etc. It’s called having a conversation and it’s an obvious thing to ask.

As for being a person of colour and not being British that’s just bull, I’ll tell you this now, when most white people see a POC on the tv winning a sports event (Denise Lewis), singing a song (dizzy rascal) or acting (idris Elba). We don’t go in our heads yea they aren’t British though consciously or subconsciously, it’s just a normal regular thing. They walk, talk, eat and think like us.
    That’s what matters it’s the being on the same general wave length, that’s why integration is so important, that’s why people have way more problems with Muslims than say Hindus, they look the same without the religious gear on but they aren’t seen the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbit1234)
    Why is it such a problem if they're not harming anyone or breaking the law?

Do u see Arabs in Dubai trying to tell British people living in British compounds that only the Arab way is the norm and the correct way and therefore they should 'integrate' and Be like them. Do u see the Portuguese or Spanish doing the same to British people living in only British expat areas there

Lol get over urselves.
    Well they should and the only reason they don’t is they are desperate for the cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jambojim97)
    A lot of replies to this thread state (subtly or otherwise) that you can only truly be British if you're white. The majority of non-white immigrants to the UK are from former British colonies, meaning their ancestors were subject to British rule, and just as much a part of British history and can therefore be seen as equally 'British'. The 'if you're not white then you're not British' attitude is part of the reason why there's so much ethnic conflict and division within British society. If we could realise that immigrants from the former colonies are very much a part of our history, and vice versa, then I'm sure certain 'isolated' communities would adopt a more British identity and integrate more.
    Fair enough but do you not think it is up to the people who want to join a group to be friendly and integrate into it?

They come into our country as individuals or a family without being invited by the people of the country, it’s far easier for them to get all cozy with us rather than visa versa.

It’s a nice sentiment you advocate it’s just in practice is impractical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Maybe its because some of these people are very poor and its the poorest most deprived areas that house these people and no one else wants to live there?

Will you be buying them houses in Chelsea and the Home Counties? Im sure a lot of them would happily swap places.
    Yea of course that is a part of it, the young new arrivals need the cheaper places to live and if there are people they are used to there it makes them feel more at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    I don't want to be anywhere where one race is the majority, not even my own race. Unless I move to a different country where I'd be more than happy to learn from the locals like Japan or Brazil or something. 😊
    Do you not see the irony of what you just wrote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsfantanoo)
    does anyone have a genuine argument as to what the issue is? Do white british people somehow expect the rest of us to suck up to them and live next to them so they have some nice coloured neighbours?
    p r e a c h

ReputationRep:
    Looooooolll.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, easy answer. Having a problem with an area having a particular ethnic/racial composition in itself is pretty much the textbook definition of racism.

ReputationRep:
    Being British is not defined as being white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Do you not see the irony of what you just wrote?
    No. Nothing is ironic. Instead of asking rhetorical questions you could explain. Maybe you just can't read.

ReputationRep:
    I think the real issue of concern is ghettoisation, which tends to be impoverishing and limiting in terms of social integration and mobility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Do you deny there is an issue?
    I deny that there's an issue with people living with others of the same ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    No. Nothing is ironic. Instead of asking rhetorical questions you could explain. Maybe you just can't read.
    You said it’s ok for people in Japan or Brazil to live in a mono race/culture and you would like to go there but you wouldn’t want to do the same here

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.