The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Salt Queen
I did not say that. I said that because I'd be a foreigner by choice I should learn about their culture. I'm not a colonialist trying to change people's lifestyle and culture meanwhile I am the outsider?

However in a country where I was born and raised I should have a bit more say and it's not "ironic" considering I said I don't even want to be in an all black area and I'm black. Because it's boring being around people I was born and raised around. 😑. How is it friggin ironic??

There can't be any all black areas in America because black people are about 14 % of the population there got to be some white people living there There might be some areas were only white people live but I doubt there many.
Original post by looloo2134
There can't be any all black areas in America because black people are about 14 % of the population there got to be some white people living there There might be some areas were only white people live but I doubt there many.

Lmao WHAT are you talking about?!! Something told me not to read this but I did!

There are even less Asians in UK than there are blacks in USA yet there are mostly-Asian areas in several parts of UK!! What are you saying?! Of course there are 100s actually of places in USA with only black people!!! Omg I'm so done 😂😂😂😂😂. You must really think I'm stupid for you to tell me that but it backfired. Please don't quote me again, I can't deal with the ignorance tonight. And to use your little point against you there are no all white areas either and they are the majority so what are you saying Lmao.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 122
I mean the UK itself never has had one culture. England has the English culture, Scotland the Scottish, Wales has Welsh and Northern Ireland has Northern Irish, even in the little regions within these countries are different ways of doing things. Every single place in the UK has their own linguistics, history and customs, so even without immigration factors within more recent years, the UK is pretty multicultural. There's no such thing as a single British culture and in my opinion Britain never has or never will be mono-culture. Non-white British people living in the UK in large numbers is a good thing as in my opinion they're simply adding to the already multicultural Britain that seems to thrive off the differences and acceptance of its inhabitants. However I say this as someone not from mainland UK and knows about 3 non-white people and nobody of another religion to me, so my opinion is probably lacking in how having majorities of non-white British would really affect the UK. But as of right now I don't see why areas of majority non-white British people wouldn't be beneficial to the UK.
Original post by marshalld67
So what do you define as a british culture then? My dad is from the Caribbean, he has lived in England for over 50 years and is as British as any other person I know. You could not tell that he is Carribean from his personality alone. He has a British passport, he contributes to this society. He is British.

Do we all have to speak like the queen, wear top hats and drink tea to be British now or something?

I think integration is a problem, but I don't think it has anything to do with those cultures personally. I think it's our **** government not doing enough to make everyone in this country equal.

Your father has no (or little perhaps) ancestry that enables him to be British, to be British is to be either English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish the indigenous peoples of these isles. These are European ethnicities, and as your father is Caribbean he is (most likely) racially different, so cannot claim to be British.
Original post by DetectivePeralta
The sad fact is that I feel fully British and act as British as any white British person I know but due to my ethnic background obviously I don't 'look British' and I feel that because of that I'll never actually be considered truly British. I feel like in this country you do need to be white in order to be considered truly British by the majority of people, no matter how hard you integrate people are always going to look confused when they ask you where you're from and you say 'London'. More than half the time the second question is always 'yeah but where are your parents from/where are you from ORIGINALLY?'

These non-white towns are always going to be considered non-British even if they integrate.

Because of your ethnicity and racial background you cannot be British. To be British is to be European and either English, Irish, Welsh or Scottish, and since you have already stated that you are not of these ethnicities or the same race you cannot be British.
Original post by Alfred.Rex.I
Because of your ethnicity and racial background you cannot be British. To be British is to be European and either English, Irish, Welsh or Scottish, and since you have already stated that you are not of these ethnicities or the same race you cannot be British.

Actually, there’s a difference between one identifying as English or British. Majority of minorities identify as British.
It is a consequence. I live in a predominantly Islam area but have won respect from the neighbours as is needed to function in any community.

Latest

Trending

Trending