Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got 9,8,6,A*,A*,A,A,B,B,B in my gcse's and I could have done way better if i had put the work in for most exams my revision started the day before the test.But from now on i'm prepared to work harder. I'm currently doing Chemistry,Physics,Maths and Compurer Science and If i put the work in i can do pretty well all A stars or A's. Will this be enough to get in as grades aren't the only thing that matter for uni how much engineerring work experience would i require?(ps i got a star in both maths and physics)

ReputationRep:
    It's very competitive, and Further Maths usually is a huge advantage for candidates. Additionally, because you only have 4 A*'s (and Oxbridge usually likes 6+) and a few B grades, I'd say you need something on your application form that stands out (e.g. work experience, writing for school magazines, competitions, extracuriccular stuff etc.) so that you get into the interview stage. If you manage to do that then I'd make sure your performance at the interview is good, and your entrance exam goes very well, as that will likely determine if you get a place.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to absolutely MAXIMISE your chances of doing engineering at Oxbridge then drop Computer Science and do Further Maths instead. You're GCSE's are fine for Cambridge (they don't care about GCSE's) but might be a detriment to you if you are thinking of applying to Oxford (who do care about GCSE's).

You will want as many A* predicted grades as possible but honestly, the minimum required is enough (e.g. A*A*A depending on course).

ReputationRep:
    The lack of Further Maths is more of a deal breaker than your GCSEs to be honest. However there's little point on focusing on Oxbridge for engineering because there's about 20 odd other unis which offer similar quality and prospects, in some cases higher.

(Original post by sandeshisis)
    Will this be enough to get in as grades aren't the only thing that matter for uni how much engineerring work experience would i require?(ps i got a star in both maths and physics)
    Grades pretty much are the only thing that matter, grades and admissions tests. If you really want to try for that kind of leg up then make a hobby out of it, program arduinos, build RC planes, fix cars. That will show much greater interest, knowledge and skill than any work experience you can get before uni, bar maybe a gap year job in engineering.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeshisis)
    I got 9,8,6,A*,A*,A,A,B,B,B in my gcse's and I could have done way better if i had put the work in for most exams my revision started the day before the test.But from now on i'm prepared to work harder. I'm currently doing Chemistry,Physics,Maths and Compurer Science and If i put the work in i can do pretty well all A stars or A's. Will this be enough to get in as grades aren't the only thing that matter for uni how much engineerring work experience would i require?(ps i got a star in both maths and physics)
    The ENGAA for Cambridge and PAT for Oxford are more important than your GCSEs. Or work experience.

And as noted, consider FM instead of CompSci.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.