Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in year 11 and basically I don't know what to do.

I'm unsure of a few things:
    1.What college I want to go to
    2.What course(s) I want to do
    3.What to do after that

Currently I'm doing 8 GCSEs
    -Biology
    -Chemistry
    -Physics
    -Maths
    -English Lit
    -English Language
    -Art
    -Japanese

Maths and potentially all three sciences are going to be at higher level.

I actually enjoy Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Art and Japanese but I don't know if I want to do any of them. I think that Art would be best as just a hobby but I'm unsure if I should go down a science route. I have two colleges that I'm thinking of going too. The first one I want to do computer science(Level 3 Diploma) at and tbh the only reason I want to go is because my cousin is at that college and it would help ease my anxiety because of the fact that so many people will be in a class with me. At the other college I want to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Computer Science(All A Level) and I feel like I really want to go there despite not seeing it in person yet. The group sizes are small and I can do computer science at the same time as other stuff so I have some variation as to what I could do for my future. I feel like it's the right one to go to but I'm just unsure because what if I've made the wrong choice.

I find myself not wanting to do college at all. It might be just the depression and anxiety talking(I can't even walk into an empty subway to get something to eat because I'll be on the verge of a panic attack) but if I go to college I know I will eventually be able to handle it.

I also have no idea what to do afterwards. Either Microbiology or Computer science with a language or maths would be good.

Also, will being kicked out of school in year 8 but very few problems since then affect my chances of being accepted?

(Btw, sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum, it's my first post).
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    why did you choose only 8 Gcses the average is 10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ex-pert)
    why did you choose only 8 Gcses the average is 10
    I'm not in a mainstream school. I would have done even less if I didn't ask my teachers if I could do the sciences separately and Japanese on top of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GothicWolfxx)
    I'm not in a mainstream school. I would have done even less if I didn't ask my teachers if I could do the sciences separately and Japanese on top of that.
    OK

ReputationRep:
    I'd say dont do the BTEC extended diploma if you don't know what you want to do. If you are sure you want to study comp science at uni, then it will be great. It won't be too good for microbiology though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cc85734)
    I'd say dont do the BTEC extended diploma if you don't know what you want to do. If you are sure you want to study comp science at uni, then it will be great. It won't be too good for microbiology though.
    Would doing computer science as an A Level make any difference on a uni application compared to a BTEC? I'm thinking it would be best if I did the A Levels because I keep switching between ideas of what I want to do but I don't want to damage my chances of doing computer science if I choose it as an A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GothicWolfxx)
    Would doing computer science as an A Level make any difference on a uni application compared to a BTEC? I'm thinking it would be best if I did the A Levels because I keep switching between ideas of what I want to do but I don't want to damage my chances of doing computer science if I choose it as an A Level.
    Not really. CS A-Level/BTEC is not required for any (afaik) universities for CS, and providing you do A-Level Maths at least then you will have pretty much every uni open to you.

ReputationRep:
    @Blue_Cow

I've just checked some Uni websites and yeah, they don't require it. I might choose Further Maths now instead.

(Sorry about the late response, the app wouldn't let me see the comment so I had to go on the website too see it but I couldn't reply to it there because I forgot my password)

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, former teacher here (now masters student)!

I would say go the A Levels route because universities tend to prefer them over BTECs in general. Also with A Level, like you said, you're keeping your options open. However, most good colleges will only accept you for the sciences if you're averaging B/6 so you need to make sure that you can realistically meet their requirements. A Level does require a lot of work so you just need to be aware of that.

Not knowing what to do after college is fine! I've chopped and changed my career so many times and it's all okay. You're 15/16, there is no way you're going to have your life figured out by now, and even if you did, I guarantee it'll be different in ten years time.

As long as you show you're a responsible, sensible, focused student in your personal application, the expulsion in year 8 shouldn't matter too much. I would suggest asking for very strong reference letters from your teachers, particularly someone of importance in the school who knows you well and would be willing to write a reference for you. Not all colleges ask for references but having one supportive letter just in case will help you out.

You are never alone when it comes to depression and anxiety. There are so many people you can talk to if you feel anxious at college, make sure you find the support team straight away because they can offer you a lot of support. I know what it feels like to not want to do anything, and feeling anxious all the time, but eventually there will be a point where you'll be able to step outside and you won't break down and you'll start to feel as though you can handle life (and you 100% can).

Hope this helped

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.