Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1289 - Trade Union (Repeal) Bill 2017 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=DayneD89;74144068]Do you mind if I ask why you think it is stupid.[QUOTE]

I must admit that was sent in haste but I'm starting to think otherwise as a result of your responses. In any case, this should be a decision left to Trade Unions and they should be afforded the choice insofar as methods of voting are concerened. I'll be voting against this measure.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    My information mainly comes from working as a Technical Architect for a fortune 500 company. An online election run over a week with even a semi-competent dev team would be safe enough for this kind of election. The only real danger would come from social hacking or sabotage, nothing to do with the software.
    Never said it was anything to do with software.

(Original post by 04MR17)

Why now?:holmes:
    Ah...

By saying that "the opposition simply scrolled through Hansard until they found a bill to repeal"...

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    As I said in my initial comment, the question of how important the vote is is linked to how tight security must be. I don't consider a strike ballot to be of such huge importance to ban online voting.
    So because it isn't important to you that means we shouldn't do anything about it?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    Ah...

By saying that "the opposition simply scrolled through Hansard until they found a bill to repeal"...
    Why this bill now?:holmes:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Never said it was anything to do with software.
    What other threats are you worried about?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    So because it isn't important to you that means we shouldn't do anything about it?
    A ban on electronic voting is disproportionate for a strike ballot. It is of far less significance than a general election, for example.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Why this bill now?:holmes:
    Why not? I'm pretty sure it hasn't been attempted at before, correct me if I'm wrong.

(Original post by DayneD89)
    What other threats are you worried about?
    Is it not true that it's much easier to rig online ballots than paper ballots?

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    A ban on electronic voting is disproportionate for a strike ballot. It is of far less significance than a general election, for example.
    That doesn't really mean nothing should be done about it just because you believe it is less important.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't really mean nothing should be done about it just because you believe it is less important.
    The argument against electronic voting at a general election (which is a compelling one) is that the risks far outweigh the benefits given how significant the result of a general election is. That doesn't apply to strike ballots in anything like the same way – the benefits of convenience far outweigh the potential security risks.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Why not? I'm pretty sure it hasn't been attempted at before, correct me if I'm wrong.

Is it not true that it's much easier to rig online ballots than paper ballots?

Not really. If the software was done by a third party (and what union has an in house dev team) you would need to basically bribe or influence about 100 people (at least) who would have access to the code. They would be damaging their own jobs and their companies security reputation, which is a big deal for any tech company. Once the results are known you could have them automatically announced and you could use a checksum to verify their integrity.

Same thing when moving data containing votes around. End to end key based encryption. Easy and fast and even if a file gets intercepted it would take months to crack without the password. If you're paranoid make it require multiple keys at both ends.

Instead of repealing the old act you could instead require standards of data security to allow trade unions to use electronic elections if they want but regulate them to ensure safety. I'm happy to assist with ideas if anyone wants to do that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This bill has entered cessation.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This bill has entered division.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.