Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think I should ask to go back on accutane for the second time? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    7 years ago I was put on a course of accutane for severe acne that was terrible.

it all cleared up and my skin looked great for around 2 years.

I then developed mild to severe acne once again and was put on epiduo which helped and my skin cleared.

I've been on epiduo for around 5 years but it's started to be less effective. This year I have so far tried trecylin, epiduo and differin.

My acne is now mild with around 4 spots at the time, a lot of blackheads and VERY oily. My chest and back are also a lot spottier than my face.

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, what are the chances of me being put back on accutane? or do you think they will look at my face and say no it's not bad enough.

I realise none of you are doctors before you point this out but I wondered if any of you had experience of this same situation and wanted to know your story.

Find it quite frustrating because my boss recently got put on accutane after not trying any previous treatments and she only has a few spots on her chin! did think that was quite irresponsible of the doctor but it does give me some hope.

thanks in advance guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s1s9s9s5)
    7 years ago I was put on a course of accutane for severe acne that was terrible.

it all cleared up and my skin looked great for around 2 years.

I then developed mild to severe acne once again and was put on epiduo which helped and my skin cleared.

I've been on epiduo for around 5 years but it's started to be less effective. This year I have so far tried trecylin, epiduo and differin.

My acne is now mild with around 4 spots at the time, a lot of blackheads and VERY oily. My chest and back are also a lot spottier than my face.

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, what are the chances of me being put back on accutane? or do you think they will look at my face and say no it's not bad enough.

I realise none of you are doctors before you point this out but I wondered if any of you had experience of this same situation and wanted to know your story.

Find it quite frustrating because my boss recently got put on accutane after not trying any previous treatments and she only has a few spots on her chin! did think that was quite irresponsible of the doctor but it does give me some hope.

thanks in advance guys
    Your in exactly the same boat as me - ive been given differin, epiduo, daktacort, accutane,lymecyclin, some other pills which i cant remember the name to but had to come off them and change to other pills which i also cannot remember as they were giving me indigestion. Out of all of these treatments the only one that really had a lasting effect was accutane however since being on it i have now also broken out and want to know exactly the same as you - if i can skip all other treatments and just go back onto the 'big guns' that i know were most effective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nffjbfbgue)
    Your in exactly the same boat as me - ive been given differin, epiduo, daktacort, accutane,lymecyclin, some other pills which i cant remember the name to but had to come off them and change to other pills which i also cannot remember as they were giving me indigestion. Out of all of these treatments the only one that really had a lasting effect was accutane however since being on it i have now also broken out and want to know exactly the same as you - if i can skip all other treatments and just go back onto the 'big guns' that i know were most effective.

Hello, thanks for your message! posted this a lil while ago and I am now into my second month of my second course of accutane. Very much still in the initial breakout phase sadly x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s1s9s9s5)
    Hello, thanks for your message! posted this a lil while ago and I am now into my second month of my second course of accutane. Very much still in the initial breakout phase sadly x
    Is there an initial breakout phase? That's annoying. Do you find you get dry lips etc? Was your doctor happy to refer you to dermatology and did you show them your shoulders?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curlycat)
    Is there an initial breakout phase? That's annoying. Do you find you get dry lips etc? Was your doctor happy to refer you to dermatology and did you show them your shoulders?

Unfortunately, accutane does tend to make things worse before they get better. Yes the doctor pretty much referred me back to a derm immediately but due to my very long history of acne and treatments etc. Yes at the moment have very dry lips and skin. Yes I showed the derm my chest, back and shoulders happy to answer any more Qs you may have x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.