Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

It's been a month into the IB and I've recently decided that my aspirations for university have switched from Psychology to Law. I decided to take HL Bio in order to make my change of getting into a psychology degree stronger, despite not much interest in the subject. I know History is a strong one to have for a Law Degree, but I'm currently taking it at SL.

I'm academically stronger in History than Bio but was hoping I could get peoples opinions - as I've heard History HL can be hellish.

My subjects currently are:

HL:
    Bio
    Psychology
    English Lang/Lit

SL:
    History
    AB Initio Italian
    Maths Studies

If anyone has any information I'd love to hear it

ReputationRep:
    hey! i did both history HL and bio HL, and ended with 6/7 in both. a few points of comparison: i had to study much more for my bio exam than my history one, and i do feel i learnt more generally applicable knowledge in history. i personally enjoyed bio more and felt like i was better at it, but i've always been better in math and natural science than in social science.

i don't want to discredit other ppl's experience as not all teachers are the same, but i certainly didn't find history HL to be 'more hellish' than bio HL. i do believe that the history class (and the skills you'll acquire through it) will serve you more in a law degree... it's hard to see what difference HL vs SL bio will make in if that's where you're headed. i found them to be about at equivalent, but if your thought process generally works better in history than in bio, then you'll likely fare better in the former.

i'd tend towards recommending history HL! it's a lot of work, but so is bio HL, and the perceived difficulty will definitely be affected by which subject you're generally better at (or which one you enjoy more)! (however, if possible, do try to get other opinions! i can only vouch for my own experience with my own teachers) hope this helps!! (and good luck with it all!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiieh)
    hey! i did both history HL and bio HL, and ended with 6/7 in both. a few points of comparison: i had to study much more for my bio exam than my history one, and i do feel i learnt more generally applicable knowledge in history. i personally enjoyed bio more and felt like i was better at it, but i've always been better in math and natural science than in social science.

i don't want to discredit other ppl's experience as not all teachers are the same, but i certainly didn't find history HL to be 'more hellish' than bio HL. i do believe that the history class (and the skills you'll acquire through it) will serve you more in a law degree... it's hard to see what difference HL vs SL bio will make in if that's where you're headed. i found them to be about at equivalent, but if your thought process generally works better in history than in bio, then you'll likely fare better in the former.

i'd tend towards recommending history HL! it's a lot of work, but so is bio HL, and the perceived difficulty will definitely be affected by which subject you're generally better at (or which one you enjoy more)! (however, if possible, do try to get other opinions! i can only vouch for my own experience with my own teachers) hope this helps!! (and good luck with it all!)
    How did you get 6's in history and bio?

ReputationRep:
    I am sitting the November 2017 exams right now, and I am doing both HL history and biology. I recommend HL History over HL Biology. Both are hellish don't get me wrong, but I found biology had a lot more content to totally remember, basically trying to memories the entire course in much detail as possible. Whereas in history you can get away with cutting out a few topics and just memorizing facts and establishing an argument. HL biology is literally hell, and history is its child. SO do as you please but especially if you don't intend on using any biology in the future, I would 100% recomend doing HL History over HL biology. It is not worth your time learning the entirety of the biology textbook to get a 6 when a 6 in history to me is easier. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.